Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 18:41   #16

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Boating with pets - tips for blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTails View Post
Hi mate!

So I'm going to go all Vet on you and ask a bunch of questions!

First when you say not toileting do you mean urinating and defecating or just defecating? Five days is an awful long time with out urinating, and as Ann said it could definitely lead to bladder and kidney problems. ...
Sheridan
Yes, no pee, no sh*t, nuthin... for 5 days! Same again for past 3 days. We've been ashore during post-purchase refit and have now been coastal cruising for about two weeks. I realise this is serious but each time I take her ashore in the dinghy (which we did after her desperate bid for freedom) I feel I'm training her to just wait, and wait, and wait some more. She is 8 y.o., working farm dog breed (Aussie stumpytail cattle dog, beardie collie, border collie, kelpie X - first and last have dingo bred into the working breeds). She has always been very careful not to wee or poo in the boatyard, or on any roads or walkways before then.

I knew this could be difficult but her determination not to foul this far-from-pristine yacht is breathtaking. Is there a product which will cause her to wee or defecate, regardless of her determination not to?

(Btw, I have no idea what 'PM me' means so will rely on your replies here for now.)
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 18:49   #17

Boat: Hylas 47

There is also the old matchstick trick. When you felt your dog is fully loaded with poop that needs to exit, pull out a matchbook of paper matches. Depending on the size of your dog, tear off 1 to 4 matches and briefly wet the business end in your mouth. You then position your dog where you want him/her to take care of business and slide the matches partway up their a us. You want to keep just enough of the cardboard end sticking out so you could pull them back out if necessary. This will most likely encourage a bowell movement in short order. If it works it is immediately a time for celebration and the best treats possible.
gdavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 19:30   #18

Boat: Creekmore 45 cutter

Again, I would encourage you to check out PupHead. Since you are near the land now....buy the PupHead....put the grass part of it on the land and walk you dog across it on the leash to pee....try not to let he pee anywhere else. Then....alas....she/he may continue to use it. No matches, no other tricks. Just what I did, but early on, and it worked. I don't care where she does the other....I can clean that up easily...but amazingly she now does both on the PupHead. Good luck and if this doesn't work, you might want to stop being mad at the dog and realize she/he's not going to work on the boat.
sailorfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 19:37   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Is it worth carrying a few books that would help you to diagnose common pet medical conditions, & if so, which ones? Also what comprises a good pet's medicine chest?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 23:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavids View Post
There is also the old matchstick trick. ...
Wow! Never did I imagine such a use for a simple box of matches. Picture this: dog sitting on the sugar scoop (transom) staring shorewards longingly; produce four matches from a box, dip them in canola oil/water mix; do 'the thing' and hey presto! One minute later we have a massive clean-up to perform on the 'astro-turf' pad across the sugar scoop. Of course we left plenty of odour for next time - no serious cleaning at this early stage in the game.

What an ingenious trick with an ordinary box of matches. Love it! Who would have guessed it was that simple? With luck she should not be so reluctant in future, as she got lots and lots and lots of praise.
Old 27-05-2017, 04:46   #21

Boat: Gamelin 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Is it worth carrying a few books that would help you to diagnose common pet medical conditions, & if so, which ones? Also what comprises a good pet's medicine chest?

I definitely think carrying a mini vet kit is a good idea! You just never know where you might run into trouble so I would carry the same as what you would for a person - some pain relief, a basic antibiotic, antihistamines and bandaging type supplies.
If you have a vet you trust they may be able to do up a little what to do instruction booklet and kit for you.
There is a vet (captain doctor Dave) who lived aboard for many years and wrote a book specifically for cruisers about vet care, I've not personally read it but many cruisers swear by it!

To the original OP great news she went on board - hope that continues. If it doesn't consider this saying - it's much easier to change your behaviour then theirs! Or in other words not going is going to affect her health and it is much easier for us as the "smarter" species to take her to shore twice a day until she learns, compared with making her wait it out when she obviously feels uncomfortable. There are medications that will make her need to go more but ultimately if she's not going and you make her go through sheer lack of ability not too, the end result may not be what you want. For example - she knows she gets in trouble when she goes inside the house, she feels the boat is like being inside a house, you make her go on boat she thinks it naughty and becomes even more aversive to going.
Good work though with lots of praise post pooop!
I hope it works out just remember dogs are complicated and if things aren't going well some on shore training for two weeks, which may mean a delay for you, is well worth it if you want to keep her on board. Most cruisers start preparing heir dogs for sea months before starting their trips. And I suppose if you really need to get going you may need to consider her life as a boat dog - is she comfortable on the boat the rest of the time? Because she is Middle Aged it will take longer to train her since she already as in mind what is normal and ok.
VetTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 06:51   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Maybe the best, honest advise is "not to."
  • Other cruisers find it pretty darn foul to lay their blanket on a beach where dogs have toileted, even if the owner cleaned up. It is illegal on most public beaches for good reasons. This is NOT acceptable behavior.
  • Taking a dinghy through the anchorage early and late for this purpose is annoying to others.
  • Barking is never acceptable, since cruisers are seeking solitude.
  • Quarentine is a problem on many islands.
So be honest and say "this is probably a bad idea." They may not mind, but other people will.
Old 30-05-2017, 14:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Maybe the best, honest advise is "not to."
[LIST][*]Other cruisers find it pretty darn foul to lay their blanket on a beach where dogs have toileted, even if the owner cleaned up. It is illegal on most public beaches for good reasons. This is NOT acceptable behavior.[*]Taking a dinghy through the anchorage early and late for this purpose is annoying to others.[*]Barking is never acceptable, since cruisers are seeking solitude.[*]Quarentine is a problem on many islands...
Everyone has a viewpoint but:
- rowing a dinghy ashore is annoying to others? Perhaps they should go play golf.
- leaving dog poop lying around is never acceptable, whether on a beach or a footpath or a park - often I clean up other people's messes, so don't blame responsible owners for the careless ones who more likely live ashore. When our dogs toilet on board, problem is solved - poop goes in the holding tank.
- the simplest thing to train a dog to do is to bark only on request. My dogs only bark when absolutely appropriate, which is as annoying as a burglar alarm, which many 'responsible' owners fit. Some bright owners have alarms that sound like a very large barking dog
But each to his own - many people hate dogs but it's usually the owners I hate.
Old 08-08-2017, 21:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We have two rescue cats on board, found by the bins when only a few days old. As they were immediately brought aboard and hand reared we have had no problems with them adjusting. We rarely tie to a quay so they do not pine for the shore. We do not have life jackets or harnesses for them (they don't even wear collars) but we do have an eight inch high toe rail all around the boat which makes falling off less likely. The only time they go for a swim is when we are tied up and they go boat hopping and misjudge the distance home! They both swim well and can climb our stern ladder.

Puss and Fluff have travelled with us from Greece to Turkey, Cyprus and Egypt. They have documents from the EU pet passport scheme which show that all vaccinations are up to date and show the result of the rabies titre test. We have had no problems taking them to any of these countries.

They have had two stays in catteries, one of one month and one of six days. The six day stay was in Egypt, despite researching and visiting prior to leaving the cats there, they returned to us really quite sick and took several weeks and lots of vets visits to recover. The one month stay was researched even more thoroughly (in Greece) and was successful, although Puss did come home with some scabs from grass mite bites which cleared up very quickly.

Both cats hate the sound of flapping sails and know that when the engine starts they need to be down below, they spend a lot of time on our bed! Puss does appear to be a little seasick at times, her nose becomes white and she seeks cuddles from us if there is too much motion. Both cats will come into the cockpit and sit with us whilst we are sailing but will immediately go below deck if there is any action.

We have an enclosed litter tray which lives in the heads and we have made a hole in the bottom of the door so that they always have access to it. We use a large stainless steel dog bowl with a non slip foot for water to avoid spills. Their preferred food is dried but they do get wet food once a day as in the summer heat they can start to get a bit dehydrated if only dried is provided (despite there always being plenty of fresh drinking water available for them).

Puss and Fluff seem to be very happy cats, if a little 'needy', they are use to us being around constantly so get loads of attention and love. They have been with us for almost seven years now, couldn't imagine the liveaboard life without Puss and Fluff to talk to!
Haha!! They are so cute. They look terrified.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:24   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeW View Post
Haha!! They are so cute. They look terrified.
Camera shy - 'oh god not another photo!'
Old 09-08-2017, 07:13   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a facebook group named gatos del mar for cats at sea.. might want to visit there... is a good group founded by my maine coon mix cat.. yup they are smart....we have cats and veterinarians and it is a good mix should any of you cat owners err owned by cat folks feel like visiting.
there are many cat tails err tales, as many as there are cats...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 22:49   #27

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post

Puss and Fluff seem to be very happy cats, if a little 'needy', they are use to us being around constantly so get loads of attention and love. They have been with us for almost seven years now, couldn't imagine the liveaboard life without Puss and Fluff to talk to!
Your experience matches mine, have had two cats living aboard with me and both adjusted very well to boat life. Too the extent that they preferred living on board to going ashore.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 22:50   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a facebook group named gatos del mar for cats at sea.. might want to visit there... is a good group founded by my maine coon mix cat.. yup they are smart....we have cats and veterinarians and it is a good mix should any of you cat owners err owned by cat folks feel like visiting.
there are many cat tails err tales, as many as there are cats...
Hi yes, it's a really great group... love it!
Old 04-09-2017, 22:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTails View Post
There is a vet (captain doctor Dave) who lived aboard for many years and wrote a book specifically for cruisers about vet care, I've not personally read it but many cruisers swear by it!.
Do you know what the title & who author of the book is?

Tags
boat, boating, pets