Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 16:31   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44
Re: Big Cat vs Little Cat

Living on a 40 foot Leopard owners version with my wife. We have hosted several couples and single guests. With 5 people I would not want to be on anything less than 45 feet. Our boat is perfect for 2-4 people. We are in company with more than 5 other cats all near 50 feet. They outperform in speed and stability and have great living area for kids. Go bigger you won't regret it. I'd recommend a boat that is ready for an upgrade and put your own touches on it. BTW we outperform the Lagoons up to 45 feet, they aren't as fast....just sayin!!
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:00   #17

Boat: Still looking

We've got 2 young kids and have only chartered a lagoon 400. It was the perfect size for us. Our neighbours in the marina had a 450 and had chartered the 400 previously. They commented that the 400 sails much better than the 450. I'd consider a newer 400 if I was in your position. If you bought in euros you could probably pick up a new 400 at the moment - thought about setting off from Europe to take advantage of exchange rate and no tax (you'll have to pay tax somewhere but it'll be on the value of the boat at your final destination, whenever that is)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:09   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Did the refit thing on a tired Leopard 46 just over a year ago. Lots more than I actually needed to spend, but that is just me. Now, she is really better than new and a joy to sail. I think such a boat (4 cabins, crew quarters and galley up) would work well for you and could be within your budget if you shop around and are prudent with the refit. Ft. Lauderdale is not a bad place to start. Bought mine in Key Largo from a Ft Lauderdale broker. Can provide lots more details off line if you are interested.
ronbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 17:11   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If I may divert the conversation a moment: 44 mentions a "G-Force" in a post above.
Here in the Baie de Orphelinat in Noumea is an enormous cat... close to 100 feet by my eye, registered in Wilmington, and with "G-Force" on the stern. I thought it was the cat's name... perhaps it is a one-design. It has no bridge deck house, extremely fine hulls, and looks very fast indeed... and kinda uncomfortable, and certainly not cheap!

So, I'm curious; could anyone fill me in on this boat?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1204.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	107496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1199.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	107497  

Old 17-08-2015, 22:18   #20

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
First post here. If this has been asked multiple times please guide me where I can find something similar. I did a quick search and could not find anything.

We are planning to set off in the Fall of 2017 for our circumnavigation. We have three kids (3, 4 and 6). So far we have not sailed much as a family but we do tons of RV travel so we are not worried about how the kids will do home schooling, sailing experience, etc.

My question concerns the type of boat to use. We have settled on a catamaran so we can all have cabins and still have guests. We plan to do the milk route and stay near the equator for about three years. We have a budget of up to $350,000 all in for the boat.

What is better: a smaller newer cat or a larger older cat?

With our budget we can get something like an ex-charter Fountain Pajot 38 that is almost brand new or we can get a 12 year old Lagoon 45. I see advantages of both but would like some opinions on what you guys think. These boats are only two examples but I think you get the idea. We do HAVE to have a kitchen up design. With the three kids we can't deal with the kitchen in one of the hulls and still keep an eye on them.

Thanks for any ideas

Start reading reviews and the right question to ask is how comfortable is the riding and - very important- when in anchor
what is he hight of the bridgedeck above the water? Things like that
Else you will not be able to sleep at night at anchor
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 13:20   #21

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Smile Re: Big Cat vs Little Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideworld View Post
First post here. If this has been asked multiple times please guide me where I can find something similar. I did a quick search and could not find anything.

We are planning to set off in the Fall of 2017 for our circumnavigation. We have three kids (3, 4 and 6). So far we have not sailed much as a family but we do tons of RV travel so we are not worried about how the kids will do home schooling, sailing experience, etc.

My question concerns the type of boat to use. We have settled on a catamaran so we can all have cabins and still have guests. We plan to do the milk route and stay near the equator for about three years. We have a budget of up to $350,000 all in for the boat.

What is better: a smaller newer cat or a larger older cat?

With our budget we can get something like an ex-charter Fountain Pajot 38 that is almost brand new or we can get a 12 year old Lagoon 45. I see advantages of both but would like some opinions on what you guys think. These boats are only two examples but I think you get the idea. We do HAVE to have a kitchen up design. With the three kids we can't deal with the kitchen in one of the hulls and still keep an eye on them.

Thanks for any ideas

Buy an old Bill O'Brien 'Oceanic' or other older tried and tested 'classic' cruising cat in as good a condition as you can and pay someone to get it ocean ready, then live like a lord on what's left over from your budget.

There are plenty still around in various parts of the world but do get one that is already doing the sort of thing you wish to do or make sure it can be brought up to scratch professionally. Good luck ... you will meet some really interesting people if you have a boat like that and enjoy every minute of it!

Read: 'Children of Cape Horn' by Rosie Swales
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 15:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If I may divert the conversation a moment: 44 mentions a "G-Force" in a post above.
Here in the Baie de Orphelinat in Noumea is an enormous cat... close to 100 feet by my eye, registered in Wilmington, and with "G-Force" on the stern. I thought it was the cat's name... perhaps it is a one-design. It has no bridge deck house, extremely fine hulls, and looks very fast indeed... and kinda uncomfortable, and certainly not cheap!

Jim
bump, bump??
Old 19-08-2015, 15:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
The G Force I was referring to: G-Force 1800

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 15:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The G Force I was referring to: G-Force 1800
That's a nice looking cat, but absolutely unlike the giant here. I'm left with unsated curiosity. Don't seem to be people on board the one here... it just sits there looking awesome (and I don't use that term very frequently!).

Thanks for the link, 44.

Jim
Old 19-08-2015, 20:45   #25

I'm surprised that boat doesn't have a web address on it. Or a postal address...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote