Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 10:16   #1

Babies on Board

My wife is expecting a child in April. We are both keen to take the newby sailing as soon as possible, any advice?
Bobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 16:38   #2

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Install a baby capsule in the cockpit, mesh around the lifelines, baby seat at saloon table, mattress in closet for crib. Throw baby overboard while anchored to check flotation and trim - my little sister floated well, but was stern up (from her nappy / diaper) and head down.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 17:35   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Babies on Board

When my wifes daughter and son in law with the baby visit we just make most of our catamaran cockpit into a playpin. When were out sailing I get my own playpin where I don't step on little Anna Bell and everything is great. If your boat doesn't have much floor space in the cockpit your wife should keep the child under 2 years old tied to her, really. After 2 years old and several swimming lessons you might put up mesh on the safety lines and teach them to use an off shore teather from there life jacket to the boat. A bosin chair hooked to a hallard makes a great swing for kids. Congradulations on the baby, you'll get used to this exersize as a new dad.
Old 23-10-2011, 19:14   #4

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Our son was born on-board in the Caribbean (25 years ago) & we continued cruising immediately. Got him a big basket that was also a bed for when we went visiting. Roped off a wing-bunk of our (then) trimaran as his playpen/bed, so he could always see us. Problem was, he could always sense the heightened tension of making landfall & would start crying at the exact time our attention was needed elsewhere Our rough non-skid meant that he didn't learn to crawl (he "crabbed" with his knees up) until we got home at 11 months.

Also, that "Brrrr" sound that's built into the male of the species was not accompanied by the usual driving motions, but by occasional twists around to re-start the outboard!

For netting, we've had black plastic garden netting bought from Home Depot up on Ocelot for 10 years now. Put it up for a visitor & decided to keep much of it. Laced it to the lifeline & the toe-rail & it's worked fabulously (lasts longer than the lacing). Thin enough that we don't really see it, UV stable, & dirt cheap.
Old 23-10-2011, 19:23   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsta View Post
My wife is expecting a child in April. We are both keen to take the newby sailing as soon as possible, any advice?
Ask Rebel Heart, he and the admiral live aboard and had a new swabbie about a year ago, they should have plenty of good advice.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: rebel heart
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:32   #6

Well, it sounds all very possible even though our current yacht is a little on the small size. If nothing else it may be a good excuse to upsize! I am looking forward to the challenge. With any luck the new addition will be a future vendee Globe skipper.
Old 24-10-2011, 11:48   #7

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Well, it sounds all very possible even though our current yacht is a little on the small size. If nothing else it may be a good excuse to upsize! I am looking forward to the challenge. With any luck the new addition will be a future vendee Globe skipper.
You don't need an excuse to up size your boat just a dream Have fun with your sailing. My wife grew up from 4 months old sailing with her family on a 20 ft daysailor learning to race from her mom. Now at 55 she has a hard time not thinking raceing when out sailing
Old 24-10-2011, 12:02   #8

Thanks We Be! I am not short of dreams, always dreaming, I dread to think what would happen if my gorgeous wife where not around to separate my dreams from reality! We have a club boat and our own
Motor cruiser, she says a third is just greedy, especially the one that I want. I sense a trade up soon though!
Old 24-10-2011, 12:20   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
The Bumfuzzles came to mind as soon as I read this. bumfuzzle.com
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:28   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
My wife and I lived aboard our 36' cutter for 13 years before we had twins. A serious upsize was clearly in order about the time they learned to crawl, hence our present behemoth. If we had only one, we would have kept our 36' as planned, but it just wasn't enough room for us with twins. Of course different people have different tolerances and I've heard of some families cruising long term on surprisingly small boats, pretty large families too. I would hate to raise my kids anywhere else but on the water...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruno N Kids.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	32902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kids in Berths.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	32903  

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 15:07   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Well, babies not only sail but some are even born on boats. Seen many of them sailing far and wide as well as living aboard.

My advice is have two hands for your kid, one for yourself and one for the boat. Later place netting all round the boat. Switch duties with the admiral so that she too enjoys some sailing. Have fun.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 20:46   #12

My wife and I have our 15 month old daughter onboard our boat; you can see a lot of the posts from my wife on her blog (down there in my signature).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 22:18   #13

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38

We had twins last December. We installed straps under one of our settee cushions which we can use to secure their car seats. It's handy to have them locked down when all hands are needed elsewhere.

Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 23:33   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
We had twins last December. We installed straps under one of our settee cushions which we can use to secure their car seats. It's handy to have them locked down when all hands are needed elsewhere.

" Houston, we have no problem" What a pair of beauties.
Old 31-10-2011, 06:58   #15

Thanks everyone, this really is giving me hope, and now getting quite excited about the prospect.