Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30   #1

ASA instructor who "gets" women?

My wife failed to pass her ASA 104 certification a while back. She and I both believe it is because the instructor was a sort of "macho" type who really didn't know how to relate to women students very well.

She is a capable sailor, though lacks a bit of self-confidence. She enjoys sailing, wants to learn more, and has a desire to get her ASA 104 certification--to some extent, just to prove that she can.

On the other hand, she would like an instructor who won't have the macho attitude, and is good at teaching women. So, any suggestions?

Thanks.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: ASA instructor who "gets" women?

Have her "interview" her next instructor. She should express her concern and relate her experience.

By the way - has she talked with her "old" instructor about this? Might help - perhaps her perception is not totally correct.

Having said the above - my wife also runs into the "macho" **** on board boats. Some "old salts" just don't seem to get it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ASA instructor who "gets" women?

Learn to sail with Her Ladyship Sailing, offering women sailing courses in Annapolis, the Florida Keys, the Bahamas and more!

No Affilliation..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32   #4

Are you familiar with this organization? Have you taken courses from them, or know someone who has?

I found this website in my own searches. I found others, too. What I was hoping for were recommendations from someone with first-hand experience.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:19   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=denverd0n;1124779]My wife failed to pass her ASA 104 certification a while back. QUOTE]

I feel this is reflection of just how poor the instructor was!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are unfortunately people teaching sailing who never should have been certified as instructors. Just because someone is knowledgeable does not mean they are also a good instructor. I know some very skilled sailors who wold make awful instructors. ASA has made good progress in recent years to weed out some of the sub-standard schools and instructors, but of course this type of personality issue is a bit more complex.

I've known a few "old salts", who came up as working seamen (like AB's on ships), who could not relate to women at all. I think a few of them had only interacted with women as hookers in port...so seeing women in any other role just confounded them. Years ago in the charter biz, I used to have be the go-between for one "old salt" captain and the lady who was the office manager, because he just could not manage to work with her at all. He was otherwise a good guy and a competent captain, but relating to women was just totally foreign to him.

I agree with the advice above, interview the instructor or seek out schools that specifically cater to women students -- of which there are a few.

Also, if she did not successfully complete 104 then the school/instructor has an obligation to clearly define for her why not and to put a plan in place to help her work through any deficient areas. Did they do this or offer to?

As a long-time ASA Instructor, I know a few women instructors who I'm sure would be willing to discuss the issue with your wife and recommend other instructors/school which might be conveniently located to you. PM me if you want contact information.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

[QUOTE=Don Lucas;1125090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
My wife failed to pass her ASA 104 certification a while back. QUOTE]

I feel this is reflection of just how poor the instructor was!
To an large extent I agree, but of course the student plays a role in this equation too. Assuming the student is prepared and applying themselves in class then failure rates should be very, very low.

And, a student not successfully completing a class should certainly not come as a surprise to the instructor -- it should be obvious as the class progresses. Whether a student fails a written exam or is just not up to the standard for hands-on skills then the school/instructor should make arrangements with them to resolve these issues. ASA in fact has multiple versions of exams for this purpose.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I teach sailing, climbing and skiing and was referred to a gal for some private instructions skiing. The (gal) friend who referred me introduced me by saying that I liked women.

At first I really did not know how to feel about the introduction. But after a while I realized that there are men who do not like women as people. (true for some women as well - they just do not like men)

If there is anything to take away from this I would say to interview the instructor, ask other women who have taken a course from them and make a good choice on someone who has your learning as their goal without reservations. And of course avoid the jerks....

Regards!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19   #9

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

I had the same experience with a different ASA school. I thought it was me but the other women on the boat with me had the same issue. The school let us finish with a different instructor and it was a completely different experience.

I have an instructor I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, but he is in Texas. Anyway, tell your wife she is not alone. I felt badly at first until I realized the problem wasn't mine at all. Tell her to hang in there.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ASA instructor who "gets" women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Are you familiar with this organization? Have you taken courses from them, or know someone who has
Nearly....
myself and 4 ladies.. knew I shoulda shaved my legs...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

ASA Certifications,New Bern, Oriental NC

My wife went through the ASA series with Jim as the instructor and he was great, took the time to work through everything at her pace.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:51   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

If the instructor was not fair / pro in any way then your wife should have stopped attending the course, reported the person and asked for a full refund.

Where I live, a 'macho' instructor loses his / her job in no time. I am sure you will find a good one where you live too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having sailed with a lot of old farts on the best yacht in Kuwait 10-12 years ago, (most of whom were dumb as well as brawny, who inspired me to jump ship and buy my own boat) I do sympathise.

BUT, if you don't mind me saying, being a skipper DOES require a certain amount of self-confidence. I had the confidence to instruct the old farts, they were ignorant enough to literally ignore me.

So, 8 years ago, when HWMO and I upgraded and bought that very same best yacht in Kuwait for ourselves, those old farts were off the crew right away. Ha, karma rocks when it goes my way!

Oh, to get back on topic... Get a woman instructor next time. She is far more likely to encourage your wife, and bring out the Admiral in her
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 09:34   #14

Pete and Tish Wodraska, Reef Runner Sailing, Panama City, FL. Pete was at Blue Water at Ft L and has gone on his own.

I had an absolutely great experience.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:31   #15

I can recommend Pat Nolan at Sistership in Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI. Have worked with her in the past. She is no push over but definitely 'gets' women. In fact she only teaches women and will only take men who are part of a couple with a woman included in that couple.

Best of Luck.
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa