Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 16:51   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Art on Boats

Although this is probably not of lots of interest around here, it is a question that has come up. How do people hang art work in boats? There are so many materials -- various types of liners and, obviously, wood. But, not drywall that one call easily spackle and paint over the holes. I certainly do not want to make holes, but we do like to have certain paintings, photographs, etc.

Any help/advice/things not to do?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 17:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Art comes in many forms and it's not all limited to large flat vertical surfaces. I think you find boat owners add art as much aboard as in the home on shore, just not in the same ways. The space is more limited and so the scale must match.

The environment of the boat makes it difficult for some media to be used in the same ways we use it at home but it's no less visible as far as I can tell. You choose what you bring aboard more closly than what you would bing to you home ashore. Decoration and even functional objects can take on the attributes you seek in art.

About the only advice is - don't bring things you don't like.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 17:08   #3

We use velcro to mount paintings. various pieces of art and a half hull model. One thing which amazed me in visiting other yachts is how few actually have any artwork on display. This includes small sculptures all held in place with velcro!

We think of our boat as our home.. even though now it is only used for weekend use and vacations... but without some art a boat is just a "generic" boat albeit personalized with gear.

We also have throw pillow covers made from fabric from India and San Blas Islands and so on. It is all colorful and visually stimulating and makes Shiva feel like home.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 17:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We think of our boat as our home.. even though now it is only used for weekend use and vacations... but without some art a boat is just a "generic" boat albeit personalized with gear.
Not all people think of it as a home and to some it clearly is their only home. When you start thinking that way you start to bring things aboard. Things like your dishes take on more importance and become almost like art as clearly it can be. You just don't have the space to devote to art as you do ashore.
Old 04-10-2006, 17:50   #5

A life without art is not worth living!
Old 04-10-2006, 18:06   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Yes, Jef and Paul, our boat will be our home (at some point) and, yes, we very much want at least some of our art to come with us. The problem is how to hang some of our paintings/photographs without making holes, as well as how to secure things like sculpture and pottery. We're familiar with museum putty, which works great at home, but how well on a boat? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 19:07   #7

Velco and lots of it is secure enough for heavy waether ocean sailng!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Velcro or any other non-nail type installation requires some adhesive. We have some family pictures and a few small pieces acquired while cruising mounted with the two sided sticky squares. They and on OK and the adhesive can be removed when needed with careful cleaning with a mild solvent. Doing so did not damage our wood finish.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:48   #9

Boat: 44 footer
Do you guys use glass in the picture frames?

I've removed a bunch of "art" that was screwed down right through the frames to the walls. Including a mirror that the mounter missed the frame and found the glass with the screw...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:10   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Yes we have glass, but glue, not screw.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:34   #11
GreatKetch

We found bulletin boards that have worked great for us. The boards are made of 400 series stainless perferated with many small holes, and backed with a foam.

The small holes take pins, and the 400 series stainless is magnetic. For posting our current photos, important papers, and other ods and ends (are cartoons art?) it works great!

It could easily be painted, but we left it as the natural brushed metal finish it came with.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27   #12
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
just be careful with magnets around some computers, and more importantly, dont let little fingers stick one under yer compass...
Old 05-10-2006, 14:22   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We found bulletin boards that have worked great for us. The boards are made of 400 series stainless perferated with many small holes, and backed with a foam.
This sounds great. Better than bringing your home refrigerator and maybe bigger. Not all art is as refined as a Rembrandt but no less compelling or interesting. Photos clearly are a big deal to most people on the move. Things from the trip or freinds and family back in the world. Finding ways to display them is one area where there seems to be a lot of ideas. I am sure there are 100 different ways people have come up with.

On our old boat we had a very interesting cermaic plate from Germany with a ship painted on it. It was attached to the bulkhead by two vertical pieces of teak that held the lip of the plate on both sides so it could not slide in any direction. It was from the 1st owner of the boat and something that has stayed through 4 owners and 17 years now. We don't know the whole story but it is something that "goes" with the boat. The CSY 33 is up for sale now and the idea is to pass the tradition along to the next owner. The instruction we received from owner number 2 was that if we were removed, the plate we should return it to owner number 1.

I would be curious to know if any one has something on their boat from a PO that they kept aboard?
Old 05-10-2006, 16:48   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Beware of velcro--the regular consumer grades will let go in hot wx, even on a 95F day, because the glue is simply not designed for heat. There are some grades of velcro, and some other materials (like 3M industrial "grip") that hold up better, but I'd be afraid to hold up glass with it. Speaking from experience.

3M also makes some kind of tacky putty strips designed for holding posters on dorm walls & such without making holes in them, that should work on boat woodwork just as well, but I don't know how it takes high heat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 18:33   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
I would be curious to know if any one has something on their boat from a PO that they kept aboard?
We have several hand painted ceramic tiles hanging in various places on our boat from the previous owners that we like and kept on board. Thankfully, the PO had tastes similar to ours.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote