Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 09:37   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think something that people forget. Is that kids really don't know what's best for themselves. The parent has to be a parent, and not a friend first. Later on in life they will appreciate it. There are other kids out there too. You have go out of your way to make special stops for them, and maybe buddy boat with another boat that has kids. Take turns getting rid of the kids to the other boat. The other parents will appreciate some time alone too! It's not just a trip for the parents. It's a trip for the family.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 10:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I think something that people forget. Is that kids really don't know what's best for themselves. The parent has to be a parent, and not a friend first. Later on in life they will appreciate it. There are other kids out there too. You have go out of your way to make special stops for them, and maybe buddy boat with another boat that has kids. Take turns getting rid of the kids to the other boat. The other parents will appreciate some time alone too! It's not just a trip for the parents. It's a trip for the family.
BINGO That is exactly my thought.
I am in a holding pattern for now as my daughter finishes highschool and continues her collage courses she is holding down a 4.5 average in collage and highschool and I couldn't be prouder. She has her friends who are good kids and I haven't the heart to tear her away nor do I think it would be beneficial to her at this point. I am planing to get a cat with enough room for her to join us when she is ready. I would like to see her get through her collage and university first, then, when the world is her oyster I will be all to glad to show it too her first hand.

My son is 8 and loves the idea of cruising. He makes friends easily and is a great joy to be around. That is when he is not so loud that it is painful to be near (8 year old boy stuff).
He is already home schooled as was his sister until jr. year of highschool
so the ground work is there for his education. I believe the experience will do us all well as a family the hard part is trying to consider everyone has different needs and trying to work with each and respect and be considerate of each childs needs. But wait we do that here on land.
Old 30-08-2008, 03:06   #33

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
I found this web site the other day and my girls got me to order there book LeSueur Pacific Cruise aboard Chaotic Harmony the girl also has her own blog and she loves it.

when I was young my parents made me go to the outback (Australia) and did I protest but to this day I still brag about where I have been.

enjoy we only have one life
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 17:03   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42
s/v Zora

Take a look at S/V Zora and the Collins Family , particularly "Liv's Page". Our daughter, now 15, has been sailing with us since she was 6 weeks old. Recently, on the way to school, she said to me, "Daddy--being on the boat is my best time 'cause it's just our family". Think about it.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 19:10   #35

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
I found this web site the other day and my girls got me to order there book LeSueur Pacific Cruise aboard Chaotic Harmony the girl also has her own blog and she loves it.

when I was young my parents made me go to the outback (Australia) and did I protest but to this day I still brag about where I have been.

enjoy we only have one life

SCTPC, Thanks for the link, there experiences look very interesting and I will follow up with them... appreciate you sharing the link..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 19:17   #36

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
scHyLyte one also try and read the one above yours ZORA I spent all weekend and im upto the Abc islands about may 2006 he refited there boat as well It about 4 years of adventure
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 19:30   #37

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Take a look at S/V Zora and the Collins Family , particularly "Liv's Page". Our daughter, now 15, has been sailing with us since she was 6 weeks old. Recently, on the way to school, she said to me, "Daddy--being on the boat is my best time 'cause it's just our family". Think about it.

s/v HyLyte

Hi, In fact, sometime ago I had run across your site, it's great by the way ! I just went to it again and see "Liv's" into horses now (a slippery slope but that's another topic).. I wonder if she would be interested if you asked her to take off for a few years at this point in her life?.. I recently read "kids in the cockpit" by Jill Schinas and she say's that the worst time to take a child to sea is between 13 and 16... Was just wondering if you would agree... Thanks again for the response... this has all been very helpful..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:02   #38

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Capcook--

The way I framed my comment seems to have led you to think we aboard s/v HyLyte are the Collins family. We are not. We did follow their adventures during their travels and now enjoy reading Stacy's articles in Cruising World from time to time, and I pointed you to their web-site as a reference for you as they have Liv's Pages. I apologise for creating the misunderstanding.

Our own daughter, Hy (hence s/v "HyLyte") began her sailing adventures when she was only a few weeks old and they have continued since--most recently including a 4+ week trip through the Carribean with the BroadReach program on a 50+ foot boat. (Hud even checked up in her while the kids were anchored in Nevis!) The one thing that's really important is trying to find other "Kid Boats" to link up with as often as possible and stoping at places where your daughter can find other kids to meet and play with. Occassionally, we even took kids from other boats aboard or let Hy travel with other families when we were both headed to the same ports or anchorages, although, truthfully, I preferred letting HyLyte become the Kid Boat.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 21:43   #39

Boat: boatless
Send a message via Skype™ to r2frame
My daughter potty trained on a heeling sailboat. But now at agew 12, going on 13, she has no interest in being on a boat unless she has a girlfriend along. 12 is the start of many girls social years. We left the states and have lived in Costa Rica since 2004. Home schooling the last two years. Now she wants to be in school with other kids and not on any boat for extended cruising. She is an only child, so it's much different without any siblings of her age. I'm hoping that later she will want to go cruising and am happy to have her in a social environment for the next few years. Maybe she will cook and clean by then!
r2frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 00:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2frame View Post
But now at age 12, going on 13, she has no interest in being on a boat unless she has a girlfriend along.

Right now we do a lot of camping and my daughter loves it as long as she can take one or more of her friends along with us. We've tod a few of her friends about our plans to leave in a few years and two of them have already asked to go with us. Looks like I might have a good crew before we actually leave. All I'll have to do is find time to train them..... if they actualy go.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote