Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 09:05   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Lightbulb airplanes and cats

I am about to accept a delivery job starting in Cabo San Lucas to Costa Rica and need to get my cat on a plane with me to the departure point. Has anyone had experience with cats and flying into mexico. The possible carriers are American, Alaska, and Aero Mex. We will be leaving from San Diego.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19   #2

Traveling with Pets

I have to start off by saying that I have posted a similar reply on another board, I have to chime in as I have traveled most of the permitted world with my dog. I have run into a lot of issues when I received word of mouth information about a countries pet requirements.
I plan out my trip, all ahead and get on the web and the telephone taking down names and numbers of the official people I talked to in that country to collect information. Many times on these Islands and especially within Latin influenced countries people have an opinion and not a fact until you are able to present to them their own facts that are easily acquired on line. Never take anyone's word of mouth on this contact the places yourself, why take the chance?

Traveling with pets is difficult, especially any where British (BVI) Jamaica and a few other places just do not allow you to land with the animal unless you go through a quarantine process.
What you do need in some places is a certificate of health from your vet outlining latest shots etc. and in some places you have to bring the animal to a local vet to get it checked out.. Simply a pain in the ass. With that said I do not leave my dogs behind ever! I plan out my trip, all ahead and get on line taking down names and numbers of people I talked to in that country to collect information. Many times on these Islands and especially within Latin influenced countries people have an opinion and not a fact until you are able to present to them their own facts or in some cases $.. But be sure to know that if you bribe an official you still need some sort of documentation.
Never take anyone's word of mouth on this contact the places yourself, why take the chance?
Best of luck.. I travel with a Lab and a little lap dog pictured here "SPIKE"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spikesmall.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	495  
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote