Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 15:10   #1

Airoplanes boats dogs and cats

Some advice needed, how expensive and is it possible to bring a cat and dog back and forth to the EU from nz (entering Italy in may then leaving turkey in October). We are planning to live on the yacht every 6 months but would prefer not to leave our beloved pets behind!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:43   #2

Boat: Gamelin 37
Re: Airoplanes boats dogs and cats

Hi!

Writing from the veterinary perspective but hopefully can help you out! Every time you import or export a pet from any country they need a health check by an authorised and approved veterinarian, and many countries have a quarantine period.
For example to import a dog or cat to NZ there is a ten day quarantine, plus you need an export veterinary certificate, a veterinary inspection on arrival plus many forms to fill out. Check out these links for details.
https://mpi.govt.nz/importing/live-a...s-and-charges/
https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/li...cats-and-dogs/

In terms of EU countries it really depends on the country and can change year to year. Italy does require proof of rabies vaccination and sometimes you even need to do blood testing to prove the vaccine has worked, you may find this has to be repeated before leaving and entering each country, along with all those other inspections previously mentioned. I believe that a certified Italian veterinarian can issue an EU passport for your pets though, which might make life easier when cruising through the med.

I am guessing it is doable but would mean your furry friends are at the vet a lot and potentially getting many blood tests etc, plus they will be spending a few weeks quarantine each year.

Good luck! And let us know how you go with them.

Cheers,

Sheridan

www.vettails.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
VetTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:34   #3

Boat: None, at the moment
Re: Airoplanes boats dogs and cats

Howdy! I'm afraid I cannot answer your question. However; while attempting to fly a cat from the US to somewhere in the Windward islands, I have learned that you cannot trust the airline web sites nor the country web sites in regards to hauling animals. The only way I was able to get accurate information was to actually call every airline/organization.

Sorry...
Undadar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs