Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 18:09   #46
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: A True Tale of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarth44 View Post
last night I called De Valk brokers in NL
They said, we will give you the keys, you can spend all day looking over the boat, alone
So refreshing
If it is a piece of junk, the owner doesn't care about, and the broker wants to spend zero time on, I can see it.

I have had brokers tell me to go aboard on my own. Sure enough, JUNK!

If a broker let people on my boat unattended, I'd fire them immediately.

I perform boat inspections professionally, to evaluate repair / improvement options.

When I inspect a boat I may wish to purchase, I know in about 5 minutes from stepping aboard, if I may be interested in that boat.

I would appreciate up to an hour to look it over well, but I would never dismantle it at this point, nor perform a complete inspection (3-6 hours), unless the owner and broker approved.

I agree, if you have had significant discussion with the broker (developed a relationship), and have travelled some distance to inspect the boat, I would expect ample time.

If the broker didn't know me from a whole in the ground, I stopped in unannounced, and I asked him to stand by while I tore a $10K or less project boat apart, I would expect to be told to get stuffed.

The preliminary inspection is a balance to respect the sellers property, respect the brokers time, and satisfy your mind of the boat's general condition (not the condition of every single system or component). The latter is what serious inspections and surveys are for. And it is reasonable for the broker to demand an offer and deposit, before allowing it.

When I sell a boat, I don't want a hundred hoodlums crawling all over it on the loose, tearing everything apart, breaking, and stealing stuff. I want the broker to "present" the boat to prospects, and make the boat available for detailed inspections and surveys to "serious" buyers only. The only way to know if a buyer is serious is to request an offer and deposit. If they'll lay their money down and make a commitment to purchase, subject to satisfactory inspections, surveys, sea trials, then they will have my permission to perform these actions on my boat. At all times, I, or the broker, will be present, and if the prospect doesn't like it, they can go look at another boat.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 18:39   #47

Boat: Scout 30

One thing I learned after looking at a lot of boats is to take a bunch of photos during your first inspection.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 18:49   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
So you say
But some of us are well more friendly
depends on your country and who one is
I suppose if you were from USA, you may well take your Smith and Wesson, in case, ya know
have some hugs ya need it
One tis not Junk, two his office(take a look) is by the boat
three, he knows if I spend 4k coming to look, I am not a tire kicker
calm down you are yelling
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 19:21   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
One thing I learned after looking at a lot of boats is to take a bunch of photos during your first inspection.
true and get the broker to poke HIS camera into every tiny spot and send the photos
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:38   #50
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarth44 View Post
Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
So you say
But some of us are well more friendly
Not sure what you are referring too. What did I say that was unfriendly?

Quote:
depends on your country and who one is
Not sure what you are talking about?

Quote:
I suppose if you were from USA, you may well take your Smith and Wesson, in case, ya know have some hugs ya need it
Well, I'm from Canada (last I checked that's not USA, unfortunately with respect to the current state of our dollar), I would never aim a weapon at someone I wanted to hug. ;-)

Quote:
One tis not Junk,
Never said it was.

Quote:
two his office(take a look) is by the boat
Well, I just stuck my head out the window, and I can see neither his office nor anyone's boat by one of my own. ;-)

Quote:
three, he knows if I spend 4k coming to look, I am not a tire kicker
You may know your not a tire kicker, but unless he knows you, he has no idea who you are or what your intentions are. Agreed that spending that kind of coin just to see a boat is a commitment. Then again people on business trips far from home often look at boats in their off time as a form of free entertainment.

[QUOTE]calm down you are yelling[QUOTE]

Say What? Dude, I am so chilled. I emphasized one word in about 1000 with caps, that is not yelling.

RamblinRod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
Somewhat bewildered by this post.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote