Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 11:54   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: A Farewell to a Renown Sea Dog

He looks part bear! What a good looking dog. My sincere condolences. Here's to Zorro
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 14:32   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Really sorry about that

But, how did you train him to do the painter thing? I'd like to give that a go...
The first time it was an accidental event, but I was able to turn it into a trick. Zorro only knew and obeyed two regular command words. "Stay" would cause him to sit and wait and "OK" meant that he could do as he pleased.

His docking "trick" began one afternoon when I had tied his harness to the dinghy painter and headed for the Fort Myers Beach dock at Salty Sams where tourists waiting for their gambling ship cruise were gathered at the dockside bar. When we were approaching Zorro gained some attention by barking at the pelicans on the pilings. As we neared the dock Zorro's only intent was to run for the bushes. When he jumped from the dinghy to shore I saw the painter fall under the horn of a cleat. I called out "Stay... hold me right there!" Of course, Zorro sat. Now, someone called out from under the Cinzano umbrellas, "look at that dog tie up that boat!" ...people stood with their cameras. I then called out, "OK.... pull me in a little closer"... and Zorro ran for the bushes until the painter through the cleat pulled the dinghy close. Then I called out, "Stay... that's close enough" and Zorro sat again. Of course Zorro never really belayed the line on the cleat, but the bend of the painter on the cleat and Zorro's apparent behavior sold the "trick". I easily secured the dinghy when I bent to transfer Zorro to his leash; thank him for the good job and say "OK"... check out the bushes!

I learned that I could repeat this "trick" by approaching any dinghy dock with a cleat as long as I could proprly line up Zorro's pee destination with the cleat.
Old 03-06-2014, 14:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

I'm really sorry for Your loss.

Nobody living without the dog can understand how much better the life can be...

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 15:18   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Someone sent me this after I said goodbye.

Grieve Not,
Nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh, and talk of me
As if I were beside you...
I loved you so....
'Twas Heaven here with you.

Sad time.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 19:45   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Zorro was a great dog, but we are not really grieving. He had a full dog's life and we shared much joy. Nancie and I will likely not have another dog for some time. We are looking at the advantages of being petless for a time. I expect we will take advantage of some spontaneous travel opportunities that were not available to us when we needed to board our dog. I am not dismissing all the messages of support, but we never thought there was an alternative to the death of our dog or any pet we would choose. Hey,- no parrot or tortoise for us!

Ok, Yes! I do have a Philodendron by the portlight in my head that is over 30 years old. He came with us from an earlier boat. I might need to make arrangements for his care after our own demise! Maybe we should favor annuals over perrinials at our age! Hmml, in some future year I should not be allowed anything with a longer lifespan than a fruit fly!
Old 03-06-2014, 19:57   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Farewell to a Renown Sea Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
The first time it was an accidental event, but I was able to turn it into a trick. Zorro only knew and obeyed two regular command words. "Stay" would cause him to sit and wait and "OK" meant that he could do as he pleased.

His docking "trick" began one afternoon when I had tied his harness to the dinghy painter and headed for the Fort Myers Beach dock at Salty Sams where tourists waiting for their gambling ship cruise were gathered at the dockside bar. When we were approaching Zorro gained some attention by barking at the pelicans on the pilings. As we neared the dock Zorro's only intent was to run for the bushes. When he jumped from the dinghy to shore I saw the painter fall under the horn of a cleat. I called out "Stay... hold me right there!" Of course, Zorro sat. Now, someone called out from under the Cinzano umbrellas, "look at that dog tie up that boat!" ...people stood with their cameras. I then called out, "OK.... pull me in a little closer"... and Zorro ran for the bushes until the painter through the cleat pulled the dinghy close. Then I called out, "Stay... that's close enough" and Zorro sat again. Of course Zorro never really belayed the line on the cleat, but the bend of the painter on the cleat and Zorro's apparent behavior sold the "trick". I easily secured the dinghy when I bent to transfer Zorro to his leash; thank him for the good job and say "OK"... check out the bushes!

I learned that I could repeat this "trick" by approaching any dinghy dock with a cleat as long as I could proprly line up Zorro's pee destination with the cleat.
Awesome.. thanks for the chuckle.. could actually visualise it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 20:17   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

What a beautiful little dog. I'm really sorry for your loss.
Was he a Schipperke?
Old 03-06-2014, 20:36   #23
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

Thank you! I am so glad that this was the first post I read this morning, it has cheered me up immensely! And what an honour to Zorro that folks all over the world are laughing at his antics in his wake! It sounds like you guys had a truly awesome relationship. RIP Zorro!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 21:51   #24

Boat: Beneteau 473

It sounds like you and Zorro had a wonderful life together, I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 23:01   #25

That is a face full of personality. R.I.P. Zorro.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:55   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, 'a Schipperke.....

...... often quick to show his teeth, but friendly after a proper introduction!