Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2016, 13:56   #1

42 foot cat or 53 foot monohull

Finally posting to the forum after lurking for years.

I regularly charter (once or twice a year for the last 13 years) with my family of 5 (Ages 36, 34, 9, 8, and 2). We have set a goal to take a gap year two years from now, sell the house and go sailing, most likely lesser Antilles, no major ocean crossings although the thought of buying a boat in the Med and sailing the Milk Run appeals to me and a few buddies.

The boat budget is $200k and it seems that for that much money you can get an older charter cat around the 42 foot mark, or a newer nice 50-53 foot less old monohull.

I know that the cat vs. monohull debate has been played out, but I've never heard it in the context of a smaller cat vs a larger monohull at the same cost for a family of 5.

We've chartered from 30 to 52 foot monos and 38, 40, and 48 foot cats. I feel "comfortable" single handling them all and lots of space in a boat is what we want. Ever since sailing Annapolis to Newport and Marion - Bermuda and back on a 60 foot sloop i've always loved big monohulls. It surprises me, but I think $ for $ I'd rather have a big monohull. The stability, space, motion at sea, etc all seem appealing.

On the flip side, a boat that doesn't heel(much), redundant engines and rudders, brighter salon, much less draft, and smaller sails seems nice too.

I've thought about it all way too much and could write all about it, but I was wondering what others with kids thought as I'm interested in all perspectives and like to daydream...
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull