Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 09:23   #16

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Re: Yet another way to create drinkable water, pulling it from the air

I can recall plastic 'tents' you would inflate, pour saltwater into the correct compartment, and leave it in the sun.
Water goes up... salt stays down... you have drinking water!
Just wanted to cover that option as well!
Even with a turkey bag, if you are creative enough and have a few resources... you can hack together your very own desalination station
Old 15-04-2017, 09:47   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
OH GAWD FINALLY!
Do you realize how long I've been holding my breath hoping someone would respond to my post?
"will they take me seriously?", "will they see I jest, right off the bat?", "do I even know the difference myself?"
Now I can sleep tonight! THANK YOU!
I'm glad you have a sense of humor! I rather think you lean to the sense of absurd...a good thing! I am way to serious and don't really have the intellect to keep up with most of these guys.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:57   #18

wsmac hasn't been here long - but long enuff for me to conclude that you gotta watch him!

Is he EVER serious ;-0)?

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:19   #19

Hard to find trees and vegetation in the desert unless you are at an Oasis in which case!!!!
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:22   #20

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Or buy a rare hydrogen powered car. Collect water from the exhaust pipe. Ha!
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:28   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
wsmac hasn't been here long - but long enuff for me to conclude that you gotta watch him!

Is he EVER serious ;-0)?

TP
I treat everyone like family... which might be why my friend's list is still in single digits on FaceBook?

Oh I can be serious... but yeah... I tend to kid around a bit... hopefully more obvious than not though!
Old 15-04-2017, 10:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
Hard to find trees and vegetation in the desert unless you are at an Oasis in which case!!!!
Could be true!
But every desert I've been in on the North American continent has had some kind of shrubbery and such... cactus, mesquite, cottonwood, various grasses...

If you don't have a branch to slip the bag over.. you can still use the bag but have to make an arrangement to divide it into a supply side and a collection side.
One method would be to use the sand... make two adjacent depressions with one being slightly lower/deeper.
Put your veggies/urine/brackish water in the higher depression section, prop up a tent type structure with the bag so any moisture collects high and slips down into the lower depression section. Seal the bag and wait.
If you don't have a tube to fix in the bag for drinking directly as moisture collects... you have to plan on opening up the bag and removing the water without contaminating it with whatever is in the supply side.
But... for the purposes of sailing or liferaft living... a method of converting seawater to freshwater is optimum... haven't tried using sea plants to obtain drinking water, although now that I think of it... that's a good subject to investigate!
Old 15-04-2017, 10:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
Or buy a rare hydrogen powered car. Collect water from the exhaust pipe. Ha!
Interestingly... I just heard a radio news report on how California is the state with the highest number of Hydrogen Filling Stations!

Do the cars come with food-grade SS exhaust pipes by any chance?
Old 15-04-2017, 13:21   #24

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
If you search the archives this topic comes up every year or so, but when you dig into the amounts of water it can produce....well....the dream fades away into a Hudson Garden Sprayer for a shower....

Most cruisers today what enough water for not just survival but for showering, deck and gear rinsing and even dare I say, replacing their salt water anchor chain rinse down with fresh water
While you may be correct, how did you determine what most cruiser's today want?
Old 15-04-2017, 13:22   #25

Quote:
Interestingly... I just heard a radio news report on how California is the state with the highest number of Hydrogen Filling Stations!

Do the cars come with food-grade SS exhaust pipes by any chance?
Both of them are reportedly busy.
Old 15-04-2017, 13:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
Have you ever been in the desert, or have you only seen photos?
Old 15-04-2017, 14:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Both of them are reportedly busy.
LINES REMINISCENT OF THE 70'S GAS CRISIS! OMG!
Old 15-04-2017, 14:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Have you ever been in the desert, or have you only seen photos?
-spoken in a gravely Walter Brennen voice-"Why... back when I was a young l'whippersnapper in the French Foreign Legion... stationed in the REAL DESERTS!... it was no DESSERT! No trees! No vegetation (not to be confused with our state of mind)! Except in those wonderful palm-tree lined oasis!... and I could write a Dissertation on THAT!"
To be fair... there are deserts I've been in with a very minimal representation of vegetation! I have no idea about the deserts in the world I have not visited!
Old 15-04-2017, 17:35   #29

Interesting. Maybe the respondents should look at a few articles.
Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of California, Berkeley, have developed passive devices that extract water from the air using MOFs. They certainly are not the only researchers in this domain.
(Metal-Organic Frameworks are made from metal ions and organic compounds.) There is a wide variety of these materials which often have a sponge like structure in which the ions cause water vapour to condense. (You may recall from your high school science that water molecules are highly polar in nature making this condensation process likely.)
Some of these materials function better if there is a temperature gradient across the material and this can be passively obtained by covering one side with blackened metal and the other side with “cooling fins”. The sponge structure allows the water to drip out of the matrix. The temperature gradient can be provided by other means, but sunlight is essentially free.
There are variants on the concept and it is certainly true that the process may not be cost effective at present except in special circumstances.
But once the concept of cheap electricity from sunlight was regarded as unlikely. Now the west has handed over the production of solar panels to China and they sell like hotcakes. There is a lesson here somewhere. Ask Donald.
The fear of consequent climatic or atmospheric effects is extraordinarily unlikely. The water vapour above the ocean surface is usually fairly high and the sum quantity of water vapour in the atmosphere is simply mind boggling. Every one happy with water being continuously being pumped up from aquifers? Ask the Californian farmers.
More importantly, water is probably our most essential raw material besides oxygen and the demand for water is already adding stresses to the geopolitical world.
Boats are often seen as compressed bundles of modern technology. Can you envisage the replacement of inefficient very expensive , noisy, reverse osmosis desalinators with passive panels much like PV panels quietly producing potable water?
The pathways that new technology open are invariably unpredictable. Hang on for the ride.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 17:50   #30

Quote:
-spoken in a gravely Walter Brennen voice-"Why... back when I was a young l'whippersnapper in the French Foreign Legion... stationed in the REAL DESERTS!... it was no DESSERT! No trees! No vegetation (not to be confused with our state of mind)! Except in those wonderful palm-tree lined oasis!... and I could write a Dissertation on THAT!"
To be fair... there are deserts I've been in with a very minimal representation of vegetation! I have no idea about the deserts in the world I have not visited!
I've lived in them, in the summer, uphill both ways to school through the sand. In the winter, uphill both ways through the sand and the wind, sometimes with snow. There is vegetation, but it is thin, and at times sparse. As the group America said, in one of it songs, "the ocean is a desert with its life underground ...." That is why we worry about such things. BTW the next line may be, "... and the perfect disguise above."

Tags
water