Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 09:14   #16

Re: Yes! Less mess french press coffee!

I have a press. It's plastic. Got tired of buying one or two a year because a wave caused it to hit the deck and shatter.

HOWEVER, while I keep it tucked away somewhere, I prefer using a "mocha pot." You know, the little Italian doober you unscrew? I've tried it against the press. Same amount of water, same amount of ground coffee, and to MY palate the pot beats the press hands down. Granted it WON'T make ten cups, but neither will a press.
Old 20-06-2016, 10:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like gritty French press coffee. Never found a press big enough to make 10 cups of coffee though, and didn't find an all metal one for boat use either... yes cleaning is a bit of a chore at times. But I like not using filters etc.
alle metal version an isothermic, but only one cup :
TRAVEL PRESS | Mug à piston en inox, double paroi, 0.35 l Noir | Bodum Boutique en ligne | France
arbanais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 10:38   #18

we've been really happy with a stainless steel, vacuum insulated French press we got at REI. wide, non-skid bottom, etc. we use it with a Kyocera hand-crank coffee grinder we got through Amazon.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:15   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
I have a press. It's plastic. Got tired of buying one or two a year because a wave caused it to hit the deck and shatter.

HOWEVER, while I keep it tucked away somewhere, I prefer using a "mocha pot." You know, the little Italian doober you unscrew? I've tried it against the press. Same amount of water, same amount of ground coffee, and to MY palate the pot beats the press hands down. Granted it WON'T make ten cups, but neither will a press.
Now you are talking! I love my moka pot too. It will definitely have space on the boat. Still, its not a big serve as you point out. Ill be more inclined to use it solo at anchor, when life is slow and I can really enjoy it.
Old 20-06-2016, 12:25   #20

pirate Re: Yes! Less mess french press coffee!

Sea Dreaming;
Thanks for posting that and the where to get it was a big help too.
I'm of the mind set that; 'There is NO life before coffee!
I enjoy my French Press (a poly from REI) but the clean up is the worst part.
I'm ordering one of these today.
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 12:28   #21

'A small boat and a suitcase full of money beat a 40 footer tied to a bank every time!
Now that's funny ! You should have told me earlier !
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 12:50   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

For a bigger group it's easy to cook Nordic style coffee. The coffee pot comes in various shapes and sizes, the biggest one I've seen was about 10 l. The grind traditionally used is coarse but a turkish grind could be used aswell becouse the cooking process is similar. https://www.google.fi/search?q=coffe...h&q=kahvipannu

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 12:59   #23

Try using an old style, original espresso maker. You can grind you coffee as course or fine as you like and make the coffee to meet your own tastes (I like mine strong but find a cup of espresso can be watered down to make strong American style coffe with portion about three to one. I bought my Italian espresso maker in Cartejena, Spain and it will make 2 cups of espresso. I grind Cafe Bustello (Cuban style-already fine grind) to very fine and have 6 cup of American style - my daily limit. It is also easy to clean and you'll use only the water you wish. Definitely not a good idea to over wash or rinse a good espresso maker.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 13:12   #24

Here is your ultimate solution. Inside this pot is a "sock" (actually a muslin bag) that holds the grounds. Pots to make ten cups are common. You boil the water in a separate kettle or pot, then pour it through the grounds in the "sock". You can "decant" by passing the made coffee through the grounds one or more times to extract every bit of narcotic goodness. Only proper way to do it :-)!

Now, when you've brewed the coffee to your liking, you drop a dime into the bottom of the cup you want to drink from. Then you pour this wonderful coffee into the cup until you can no longer see the dime. Then you "top off" with with Jameson's whisky until you can see the dime again.

Then you drink coffee till you can't see anything at all ;-0)!

You can find this pot at any Scowegian outfitters.

TrentePieds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	madam blaa.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	126623  
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 14:03   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by briblack View Post
we use it with a Kyocera hand-crank coffee grinder we got through Amazon.
Way to go, I have a hand crank coffee grinder and the smell of the ground coffee whilst you grind it is almost a gratifying as drinking the made coffee.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 18:56   #26

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
No percolator coffee, I dont like it!
really? i have always thought percolator coffee was better than drip.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 19:43   #27

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Way to go, I have a hand crank coffee grinder and the smell of the ground coffee whilst you grind it is almost a gratifying as drinking the made coffee.

Yup. Though a basic electric coffee grinder is quicker and easier and can be run on any basic inverter... That's what we do, though I prefer drip so pour water over filter into pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 22:33   #28

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Cant help adding to this post as i suffer from a severe coffee addiction. Our boat came with a stupid nespresso machine. tastes so nice I ccant let it go, but you have to turn the inverter or the gennie on to have a cuppa and i hate the packaging and all the little plastic tubs going to landfill.
My favourite no fuss method. half fill saucepan with cold water and 2 or 3 tables spoons of coffee on top. bring to almost boil. turn off. tap the side with a spoon for a minute. pour. feed used coffee grounds to the fish.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 07:23   #29

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Here is your ultimate solution. Inside this pot is a "sock" (actually a muslin bag) that holds the grounds. Pots to make ten cups are common. You boil the water in a separate kettle or pot, then pour it through the grounds in the "sock". You can "decant" by passing the made coffee through the grounds one or more times to extract every bit of narcotic goodness. Only proper way to do it :-)!

Now, when you've brewed the coffee to your liking, you drop a dime into the bottom of the cup you want to drink from. Then you pour this wonderful coffee into the cup until you can no longer see the dime. Then you "top off" with with Jameson's whisky until you can see the dime again.

Then you drink coffee till you can't see anything at all ;-0)!

You can find this pot at any Scowegian outfitters.

TrentePieds
Finally! Someone who enjoys their coffee as I do.. Two cups are the limit tho, can't get in the tank too early in the day.
Old 21-06-2016, 07:42   #30

Quote: "SV Bacchus - spreading libations world wide, via sailboat, to help pretty girls, and the "up tight", to lose their inhibitions!"

The first "ship" I owned — a copy of Mower and Day's original "Seabird" from 1901 — was called "Circe"

I loved 'er cos, as you will recall, the Circe of Greek legend had a proclivity for turning men into swine :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc