Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 12:02   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Whole Food Diet Possible While Cruising?

[QUOTE=MarkJ;1893780]Caribbean raise meat? Lol

Unless you don't consider Central America as part of the Carrib, you are probably right. However on the main there are cows everywhere.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:14   #17

I think eating whole foods is much easier. Eating while is basically all about avoiding processed foods, and those are far less common away from the industrial food chain. We male most everything from scratch now, so eating whole is simple.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:44   #18

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Smile Re: whole food diet possible while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
leave the gastronomic fads at on land i say.
Yes, and if pushed ... you could also do it the Bombard way! He got across the Atlantic with just emergency water supplies (which he didn't use) and found everything else he needed in the sea.

'The Bombard Story' by Dr Alain Bombard
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 00:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Don't want to argue diets, just wondered if anybody eats paleo/whole foods while cruising, specifically the Caribbean.

While trying to get healthy sitting behind a desk prepping for the day I can break free, my wife and I have been eating a diet of mostly vegetables, fruits and meats. Currently have a 1/2 side of organic beef in the freezer, and spinach, kale, arugula and salads are prep'd often. My weight is down and cholesterol levels under control. Just wondering if anybody eats this way while 'out there'. I imagine fresh greens are not easy to come by? I also guess that we can find substitutes?

Just wondering,
~ Following Cs ~

At the moment still at home, our diets have changed drastically as I've tried to throw out packaged and tinned stuff, keeping shopping to the fresh aisles of supermarkets as much as possible and avoiding all grains. Of course I'm realistic and know that once underway or on foreign soil and fresh foodstuffs are unobtainable, then a few recipes tucked up my sleeve should be able to be made using packets etc. I also realise that the world is a big place and wherever there are people there will be grown or reared edibles. I look forward to eating the same (or similar) to what the locals are eating so provisioning should hopefully be just about the good old faves, like curry powder and whole spices and curry leaves (I hail from Durban after all)
Bulawayo should have some great ideas on food prep and storage. Would love to read a blog or blogs from them!
Nadineon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 06:21   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

[QUOTE=Guy;1893909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Caribbean raise meat? Lol

Unless you don't consider Central America as part of the Carrib, you are probably right. However on the main there are cows everywhere.
The Caribbean is the Caribbean. The Central American countries that front the Caribbean sea are still Central American.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:03   #21

Hi Everyone,
What about microgreens such as sunflower shoots, pea shoots,cress and so many more. Sunflower and pea shoots take about 9 days from seeding to harvest and 1 trays provides around 2 pounds of delicious greens. Full of vitamins minerals and amino acids between 4 and 40 times more than the fully grown plant. Seeds are very inexpensive when purchased by the pound.
Regards Craig
craigmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:18   #22

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Great posts folks, thanks for all the advice. We are years away from actual cruising, although we may end up living on a boat dock-side state-side much sooner than that.

We recently spent some time with some cruisers on their boat. Long story short, they were planning a Panama canal/Pacific tour, but that got canceled due to health issues. When I visited them, I was helping clear out their stores for the trip, which included alot of canned and processed foods. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't the "normal" thing.

I don't expect to have a freezer full of mid Western organic beef on board. Fish will be just fine, and preferred. We will end up on a catamaran with at least some freezer capability.

Thanks again,

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:42   #23

Quote:
I was helping clear out their stores for the trip, which included alot of canned
I think in many remote places you will find if you want to eat mostly vegetables, you will be eating a lot of canned or frozen vegetables.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:34   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The Caribbean is the Caribbean. The Central American countries that front the Caribbean sea are still Central American.
OK, how about the cows that cast their gaze upon the Caribbean Sea? Or how about cows that wander along the shores of the Caribbean sea and take a dump? Can they be Caribbean cows?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 14:16   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=FollowingCs;1892941]Don't want to argue diets, just wondered if anybody eats paleo/whole foods while cruising, specifically the Caribbean.

While trying to get healthy sitting behind a desk prepping for the day I can break free, my wife and I have been eating a diet of mostly vegetables, fruits and meats. Currently have a 1/2 side of organic beef in the freezer, and spinach, kale, arugula and salads are prep'd often. QUOTE]

I've had 2 MCI's. You'll do a whole lot better if you can break the addiction to red meat. Fish is a great way to go if you feel you need meat in a diet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 14:39   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;1895011]
Quote:
Don't want to argue diets, just wondered if anybody eats paleo/whole foods while cruising, specifically the Caribbean.

While trying to get healthy sitting behind a desk prepping for the day I can break free, my wife and I have been eating a diet of mostly vegetables, fruits and meats. Currently have a 1/2 side of organic beef in the freezer, and spinach, kale, arugula and salads are prep'd often. QUOTE]

I've had 2 MCI's. You'll do a whole lot better if you can break the addiction to red meat. Fish is a great way to go if you feel you need meat in a diet.
Try watching a film called 'Forks over Knives'..........it has some interesting points.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 17:41   #27

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I dont like meat on board. The Concept of organic meat sounds like commercial fad, unless sailing in Argentina
Why excluding CEREALS, easy to store for MONTHS, dry pasta (yes, I am Italian) and beans of any color, either canned or dry?

Of course, fresh veg and fruit is a luxury, mainly after 3d at cruising

MOST RELEVANT QUESTION IS; HOW DIFFERENT DO YOU EAT WHEN CRUISING??

For me, more nuts, dry fruit, syrup fruit, biscuits, cabbage and lemon, beans, than at home.
Ham, is swinging in the galley.
More spirits for cocktails than at home.
Some fruit juice, but cutting down on them as industrial, adulterated produce. (No mais, either)

I eat oat meal and ginger for b/F with raisins, nuts, seeds, fruit..

I travel with several kilos of hand made pecorino cheese, that you can't even dream about in the Americas :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 07:14   #28

[QUOTE=Bulawayo;1895049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Try watching a film called 'Forks over Knives'..........it has some interesting points.
Hi Bulawayo, thanks for the suggestion 'Forks over knives'. Do you follow this eating plan? I remember seeing a post from you a short while back re packing your chicken pieces together with all the veg and condiments/flavourings into ziplock baggies for the freezer, then just hauling out and straight into the pot when underway.
Ps - are you still around Chagos?
I replied to your pm back in January but being a newbie to this forum thing, recently noticed that my whole long lengthy post wasn't posted at all. I must have closed up without ensuring the msg was "sent". (Sorry)
Do you guys have a blog? You must have fascinating tales to tell ....?
Nadine
Nadineon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 07:48   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

[QUOTE=Nadineon31;1895555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post

Hi Bulawayo, thanks for the suggestion 'Forks over knives'. Do you follow this eating plan? I remember seeing a post from you a short while back re packing your chicken pieces together with all the veg and condiments/flavourings into ziplock baggies for the freezer, then just hauling out and straight into the pot when underway.
Ps - are you still around Chagos?
I replied to your pm back in January but being a newbie to this forum thing, recently noticed that my whole long lengthy post wasn't posted at all. I must have closed up without ensuring the msg was "sent". (Sorry)
Do you guys have a blog? You must have fascinating tales to tell ....?
Nadine
Hi Nadine.....to answer in order: Yes, no and no.
My wife keeps us all pretty healthy with the diet she conjures up. We mainly eat veggies and salad. These are supplemented with free range chicken, fresh fish etc. She also grows some extra's on board. She is very cautious regarding buying processed foods - avoidance is the initial action. We even gave up conventional tea/coffee many years ago and now drink green / herbal tea, especially Rooibos. It also saves on milk and sugar etc as well as being healthy. We drink loads of water, sometimes with a few drops of lemon/lime juice. We rarely have conventional bread and never have carbonated drinks (except for beer!).
Yes, we always keep several ready to go caserole style meals ready prepared in the freezer. These either go into the barbeque or into the oven for one hour and we have a piping hot meal. Some people think our diet unusual and some love it.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 07:52   #30

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Again, don't want to argue diets, but you brought it up .... heart and artery problems are so much more complex than just red meat. What was your bread/wheat/gluten, alcohol, sugar, rice, legumes intake? These are inflammatory foods, not meat. I've eliminated them almost completely from my diet, and my full lipid panel blood tests are coming back extremely positive for both cholesterol and inflammatory markers, so my diet is working for me. I've been off statins for 3 years now, totally controlling cholesterol (the very bad particles, but also the overall meaningless number) with diet including plenty of meat.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, food