Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 10:28   #1

Who like’s my new primary cooler.

Who like’s my new primary cooler.

I’ve been wanting to do more designating of coolers beginning w/ the primary the cooler that stores the majority of ice and other coolers are replenished from.

Recently purchased a Titan 16 can lunch box at Costco $25. saw same cooler a few weeks later last Sunday for $6. reduced so I asked and they acted do you have you’re receipt.

Real recently I purchased another of the same coleman 50quart roller advertised as insulated I am here to confirm the lid isn’t insulated shame on coleman for advertising could be a typo. Regular folks (land lovers) probablley could care less about insulation.

Me I would like as much insulation as I can fit, so here we are folks.

I actuelly made my new primary out of necessity I was intending the new coleman to be the pri. Just didn’t like the lid being empty so I returned.

I have since reordered a 52quart chest type (I prefer the shape and size of rollers) I’m not optimistic it arrives for next expedition.

The Styrofoam is surpring stronge.

holding 12quart smoothie bottles plus stuff like bags squid/shrimp sandfleas ect. haven’t tried the milk but appears to be deep enough.

I have a secondary which also isn’t opened much, since the new lunch box it holds a six pack a couple Tupperware cantainers and I really like the outside insulated sandwhich holded this titan has a nice seal 2 1quart smoothie fit perfect on bottom.

Fish bag is on hand for XL & long fish.

Last is a little bait which duties are split w/ secondary for larger baits.

finally adding cushion snaps directly to lid.

I think solid ice will stay for 3 1/2 summer days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primary1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	191147   Click image for larger version

Name:	cushion snap.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	191148  

Name:	primary3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	191149  
Old 30-04-2019, 11:11   #2

Re: Who like’s my new primary cooler.

What about drilling a few holes to the exterior and injecting a little of the expandable foam from a big box store?

Being VERY, VERY careful, of course, to only squirt in a little bit in every other hole as it expands like nobody's business... I'm guessing someone has tried this and posted their results on the internet, so there may be some collective experience out there.

Seems that it would last longer, and retain more cooler space.

Here's a guy who did it:

letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 11:48   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Ive seen a couple guys put a cooler inside a slightly larger rubbermaid bin and fill the void with ccspf (closed cell spray polyurethane foam). You line the lid seam with cellophane (cling wrap) or tape to avoid sealing the whole thing shut. depending on the size difference you can add quite a bit of additional insulation.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 18:20   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Make your own super cooler, tough exterior outside, 3-4" gap, food-safe liner on the inside.

2# weight stuff from these guys:
http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

Lid as always, is the tricky bit.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What about drilling a few holes to the exterior and injecting a little of the expandable foam from a big box store?

Being VERY, VERY careful, of course, to only squirt in a little bit in every other hole as it expands like nobody's business... I'm guessing someone has tried this and posted their results on the internet, so there may be some collective experience out there.

Seems that it would last longer, and retain more cooler space.

Here's a guy who did it:

yes I did it already relook at image .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Ive seen a couple guys put a cooler inside a slightly larger rubbermaid bin and fill the void with ccspf (closed cell spray polyurethane foam). You line the lid seam with cellophane (cling wrap) or tape to avoid sealing the whole thing shut. depending on the size difference you can add quite a bit of additional insulation.
who would have ever thought of this was pure genious
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Make your own super cooler, tough exterior outside, 3-4" gap, food-safe liner on the inside.

2# weight stuff from these guys:
Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foamyes a food liner will be nice on food coolers.

Lid as always, is the tricky bit.
the lid on the coleman seals excellent the 1 1/2" foam will keep 12 quarts frozen for 3.5 summer days.

not alot of room for 3 day provision but remmeber I have the new lunch box.
Thanks Guys for feedback

can expanding foam be used for flotation in corners
Old 01-05-2019, 05:57   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That is the most frequent usage, read the docs on the website.

The lower densities have more buoyancy, but a bit lower thermal R-value.

Higher densities very tough, suitable for molding, carving and painting, used for stage props.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:10   #8

Engle dry box.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
yes I will be using this method of building custom cooler. mine will be in the lower bow molded to the shape of inside hull.

new primary in, I just recieved my new coleman 52quart chest type I am impressed for a $50. shipped cooler it's made nicely w/ extra insulation lid seal isn't near as tight as the roller I had before but I like the build quality I am expecting more than 5 days of block ice retention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That is the most frequent usage, read the docs on the website.

The lower densities have more buoyancy, but a bit lower thermal R-value.

Higher densities very tough, suitable for molding, carving and painting, used for stage props.
I will consider 12"x12"x12" = a cube basically has 60LBs floatation.
I am in in the process of adding two floatation pods to the stern of my vessel which includes extra 10HP OB engine.

current plans will add minimal weight but provide approximate 120LBs each side of main engine total additional buoyancy 240LBs engine pod has it's own 1 1/2 cubic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Engle dry box.
how do you do you cooler management?

here is my new plan which has evolved keep majority of ice in main I referr to as Primary also food which is moved to a lunch box type portable that has 2 quarts solid ice which I estimate will require 4 per 24 hour period.

so for ice on hand so to speak of for a 4day weekend 16 quarts are required.
new pri. holds probably 4 gallon containers a bunch more quarts and lots of imitation ice not sure if imitation should be packed on bottom top or sides of food cooler?
I'll keep food inside tupper ware like already cooked chicken wings usaley consumed second day brunch.

edit: frozen quarts can't count toward water provisioning? it's counted as a added by product?
I'm anxious to see how well the new lunchbox performes .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stryrowfoam cover 1P.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	191311  
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13   #10

I bought an ordinary 6 cu/ft chest freezer and I tested it. It went down to minus 28 below Fahrenheit, which blew my mind.Then to top it off it only draws only 40 watts when its running and that's less than half the time. I don't even need to hook it up to any batteries because when you have some food in it , it barely rises a few degrees over night which is nothing in the big picture. I've got all the ice I could ever want, to keep my other coolers cold.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote