Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 13:33   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
Which Vacuum Sealer Do You Use ?

I'm going to suggest to the captain that we purchase a vacuum sealer. I would love to hear what is being used by others.

Thanks!

Jeniffer
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 13:50   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good decision, Jeniffer! Our FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer was a real benefit, not just for vacuum sealing frozen dinners for offshore passages, but for many other things as well. I even vac-sealed spare parts for the engine.
Old 13-10-2009, 16:45   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
arrrgh... this is a boondogle for me... I have been wanting one and watching for a deal. Finally I broke down and purchased from Costco the V3840 which turns out to be a new generation release that has had really bad general reviews from users. I hated it and returned it.

I found an older one that worked but had some inconsistencies in the sealing strip, which was narrower than the newer ones. I tried replacing the strip of metal that is the heat conductor for a wider piece but something bolloxed up and it is not working at all now. which sucks too.

I think from what I have learned from this is the best option is a newer model with the wide heat seal strip but in one of the simpler models that opens and closes and has NOT got the very successful auto seal feature.

I think I want the gamesaver sports man model. It's very much like the older one but new. If that makes any sense ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 12:18   #4

Hud,
I also thought of using the vacuum sealer for bedding, towels and other bulky items. Just think of the space you can save. Plus, if and when we ever make a long passage...clean, dry sheets would probably be welcomed at some point. I think the bags are called "Space Savers" or something like that. Anyway, I didnt find a whole lot of storage on our new boat..so I'm looking for ways to work with what I have.

Thanks
Jen
Old 14-10-2009, 12:34   #5

Boat: Catalina C-42
We use the Ziploc Vacuum Freezer system aboard our boat. No machine or power required. The system uses special plastic bags with one-way valves and a manual vacuum pump. Inexpensive too. Link: Removes air to prevent freezer burn - Ziploc® Brand Vacuum Freezer System

We also have the Reynolds Vacuum Food Storage system aboard. The Reynolds system feature a battery operated vacuum pump and similar bags as the Ziploc system. Reynolds has discontinued their system due to low demand. Link: Vacuum Seal And Freeze Food To Save Time And Money

No connection to either company, just a satisfied user.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:12   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybug View Post
Hud,
I also thought of using the vacuum sealer for bedding, towels and other bulky items. Just think of the space you can save. Plus, if and when we ever make a long passage...clean, dry sheets would probably be welcomed at some point. I think the bags are called "Space Savers" or something like that. Anyway, I didnt find a whole lot of storage on our new boat..so I'm looking for ways to work with what I have.

Thanks
Jen
For the bulky items I use the vacuum bags, also available at Costco, which you use a vacuum cleaner to evacuate. They are especially good for storing blankets and winter clothing when heading to the tropics.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 11:29   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Rodney_K

I have been using the Reynolds system and am quite disappointed to hear they were discontinued. Do you know if the ziploc bags work with the Reynolds vacuum pump? I also noticed that the price of the ziploc bags had increased about $.50 a box recently. Interestingly there appeared to be no delay in Ziploc taking advantage of the lack of competition.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:34   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I've used my Food Saver for all kinds of jobs from the usual food stuffs and parts to lead shot for use in a pocketed weight belt for diving. You have to be careful not to try to vacuum seal crushable stuff like Cheerios or stuff with hard pointy bits. Engine parts are usually wrapped in paper and then vacuumed so the sharp bits won't puncture the bag. I did several rifles for long term underground storage for a friend and he has not complained but he is WAY of the grid...........m
Old 15-10-2009, 13:26   #9

Boat: Catalina C-42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Rodney_K

I have been using the Reynolds system and am quite disappointed to hear they were discontinued. Do you know if the ziploc bags work with the Reynolds vacuum pump? I also noticed that the price of the ziploc bags had increased about $.50 a box recently. Interestingly there appeared to be no delay in Ziploc taking advantage of the lack of competition.
Captain Bill, not sure if the Reynolds pump will work with the Ziploc bags. I'll try it and report back.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 17:30   #10

dang, a rifle?? That is wild!
Old 18-10-2009, 13:48   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've been using a ziplock system and have not been impressed. Sucks out the air just fine, but it eventually leaks back in. I end up with a package no better than a regular ziplock.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:06   #12

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Foodsaver for the food - long term (>45 days)
Ziplock bags - suck the air out with a straw (<45 days)
Spacebags for the blankets, etc. using a small vac to draw them down. They do make a version that rolls the air out which I have used while traveling by air.
Ziplock XXXL bags - toilet paper, paper products, etc.

Parts is a new one but I have used them for filters, etc. where moisture is an issue.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:35   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I used the Sam's Club sealer to bag a small fiberglass lay-up that was actually pretty convoluted, and it did an excellent job. After the resin set up I cut a corner of the bag and blew it up like a balloon, and it had not stuck to the resin; serendipity! The piece is actually a better layup as a result; excess resin pooled in some of the folds away from the part itself, leaving a nice, lean, layup.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 15:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I buy big chunks of beef, pork, chicken and fish, cut them into single servings, bag and freeze them. I had been sucking the excess air out of sandwich sized bags, and the zippers seemed to let air back in after a couple months. Wetting the zipper with vegetable oil seems to extend the useful freezer time. But nothing lasts forever except the green stuff in the bottle in the back of the refrigerator!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:18   #15

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
We have a full sized Food Saver at the house which we use for provisioning the boat before a cruise. Steaks, chicken, pork chops, etc. I have learned the secret is to freeze them FLAT not just throw them in the home freezer which has lots of room, then try to get them into the boat freezer with much less space.

On the boat we have a small Food Saver one which takes up much less space and is stored vertically, just the foodsaver and a few rolls of bags, No box, jars, or other space using clutter. It fits in a big ziplock bag and is great for fish, conch, etc.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote