Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 04:27   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Foodsaver here!
Old 15-07-2010, 05:15   #17

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
We use the Ziploc Vacuum Freezer system aboard our boat. No machine or power required. The system uses special plastic bags with one-way valves and a manual vacuum pump. Inexpensive too. Link: Removes air to prevent freezer burn - Ziploc® Brand Vacuum Freezer System

We also have the Reynolds Vacuum Food Storage system aboard. The Reynolds system feature a battery operated vacuum pump and similar bags as the Ziploc system. Reynolds has discontinued their system due to low demand. Link: Vacuum Seal And Freeze Food To Save Time And Money

No connection to either company, just a satisfied user.
My wife uses the ziplock system at home. It seems to work pretty well. She had some other brand with a battery powered pump but it didn't last long and then she could no longer find the bags.

That's the problem with anything that uses proprietary supplies - when you can no longer get the supplies, the pump or device is useless.

Someone else mentioned the "space saver" bags for clothing bedding, etc. I've used them but they aren't as reliable and long lasting as the makers would have you believe. After a while, they no longer hold a vacuum.

Obviously, the ones that use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out need a vacuum cleaner available. If you have one, they can be pretty good as long as they last. Spare PFDs for instance, can be stored in less space and kept clean. Without a vacuum cleaner on board, once you remove the contents from the bag, they take up as much space as before they were compressed.

The "travel bags" that you fill and then roll up to compress are OK as long as they last but don't compress nearly as well as the others. And they won't work at all on things like PFDs.
Old 15-07-2010, 05:19   #18

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie View Post
.......... I have learned the secret is to freeze them FLAT not just throw them in the home freezer which has lots of room, then try to get them into the boat freezer with much less space.
Freezing food flat also allows it to freeze quicker and results in a better end product.
Old 15-07-2010, 07:21   #19

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
I use the Foodsaver.... everything from guns, ammo ... dry beans, oatmeal, and several hundred pounds of rice.... works great! With the exception of a couple of bags of rice lost their vaccum.. not sure if it was the sealer or the brand of bags...
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 07:54   #20

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Oster foodsaver, the V3840 one. No complaints,it does what it says on the box. I don't use it often though as the bags are expensive. Might change my mind now as Kumgang has completed the purchase of the boat. Looking forward to more ideas as to what you do with it boatwise.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 08:20   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
I don't use it often though as the bags are expensive. .
Thats why we didn't buy one.
Bags are $1 each.

Ask at many butchers and they will vacum pack/cryovac.

We just bought a squillion bucks worth of meats all vacume packed in the supermarket.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 09:24   #22

Boat: Beneteau 393
When we first moved aboard, we tried to use various bags that used our boat's vacuum cleaner (the smallest Shop-vac available) to seal them. We found that while they compressed stuff down great, they were all very prone to tears and punctures which rendered them "un-suckable" After two or three times pulling them out of a hold and putting them back in they would invariably have some sort of tear in them. I hear a lot of people use them, but they didn't work for us.

In the end, we used big ziplocks for replaceable stuff and heavy duty dry bags for important stuff. The dry bags have an air valve to get out almost all the air.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:39   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390
We have used our Food Savor for years and love it, both for short term and long term cruising. Most folks have covered the basics but I thought I'd add one note. If you buy the rolls, you can make bags that fit specific storage areas on your boat.

We cruise with our dog, so we buy a huge bag of dogfood and make 'food tubes' that are about 3 feet long and fit perfectly in a forward locker.

Since you can re-use tubes, we can pour out half a tube for several days and seal it up again so he always has 'fresh' food.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:48   #24

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. Ditto on the Foodsaver. 12 years old and still going strong. We are still on our original supply of bags. We re-use the bags and rolls over and over until they are to small to use any more. Quick search on the net shows Walmart has 2 pak of 11 inch x 16 foot rolls for $22. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:59   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Foodsaver sells rolls directly, and has an e-mail list that distributes sale prices pretty regularly. You need a shipping or mailing address to get the rolls of course.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16   #26

Boat: SJ23 1988
I only last year was introduced to Vacume sealing. WOW what I've missed over the years. Spectacular way of food preservation!

I've now vacume packed everything from meats, dried goods, stews (now that they have the new canisters) and even "Hops" from my bines, they are perfect to make 1-2oz packs for brewing days! measure once then take out what I need and put into the boil schedule!

Vacume packer is a tool I'll never be without ever again!
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 20:58   #27

Boat: 1974 Ray Greene Rascal II
Food Saver here too. I've had one for over 5 years now and use it for a variety of things other than food. One problem has been objects which may eventually puncture the bags. Steak bones come to mind. They don't look like they are a problem but they will eventually make a hole. A piece of paper towel over the bone helps.
Old 26-09-2010, 01:37   #28

Boat: Leopard 40
Which model of Foodsaver do you use.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 03:56   #29

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
I have had two foodsavers over the last 5 years. The second one just gave up its heat sealer and we are looking to see if parts are available.

They generally seal well but the bags don't always hold the vacuum. Probably 15% of the time.

We also use ours to seal all the treat bags, chips, doritos etc... they work fine for that also.

If I can't find the heater strip looks like I might be buying my third one if I don't find something better.

Wish I could find just the heat sealer machine without the vacuum.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:39   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
... Wish I could find just the heat sealer machine without the vacuum.
Something like these?
Sealers - Uline
Pal Distributors - Impulse Heat Sealers (Hand and Automatic) - Packaging Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
... If I can't find the heater strip looks like I might be buying my third one if I don't find something better...
What make & model?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote