Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 08:39   #16

Re: Where to get 'Skin So Soft' in Bahamas?

I can't attest to how well these work (most of the ratings are verified purchases not shills), but from the positive responses, looks like these may be a plan - and cheap too!

I just ordered the 12 pack
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 08:41   #17

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I believe the Avon product uses Picaridin - which is as effective as Deet for repelling mozzies, and possibly more effective against noseeums.

Edit - I also see some of their products use IR3535, which is a reasonable alternative to Deet, but slightly less effective.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 08:58   #18

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ View Post
We have/had big infestations with "noseeums" every year on our property and tried about everything one can think of.

The very best we found (thanks to a CF member)without DEET is Victoria Secret's "Amber Romance".

This sounded like a joke but in our desperation we tried it and it works best. It sticks way longer than SSS and it makes ya smell well.
You can find it in a spray bottle (atomizer) and it is easy to apply and always worth a trip to the Victoria Secret's store (of course you can order it online)

We can not say that it helps against mosquitoes but the noseeums seem to hate it.

Fair winds in to the New Year
Martin
Why without DEET?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:01   #19

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I believe the Avon product uses Picaridin - which is as effective as Deet for repelling mozzies, and possibly more effective against noseeums.

Edit - I also see some of their products use IR3535, which is a reasonable alternative to Deet, but slightly less effective.
I strongly suspect that the picaridin (which is indeed effective, but has a far lesser track record of use and therefore poor epidemiological data by comparison to DEET) is an additive post hoc to bolster the SSS mythos.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:27   #20

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Why without DEET?
No good reason at all, but it smells good and works against no-see-ums.

Fair winds and a happy new year
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 09:35   #21

I had SSS aboard in the Bahamas and Caribe. On the occasional No see em infestation, we found it to not be very effective.
Anchoring where there is a bit of breeze most the time, and having NO SEE Em screening is the best bet. Sundown is the only bad time usually.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 18:59   #22

I have found that eating a lot of yogurt seems to help. It changes the ph of your body.
jholder51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 01:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
The nuisance or discomfort of an occasional mosquito bite is bearable.

However, as this linked article on Snopes points out, the risk of contracting a deadly or debilitating disease from a single mosquito bite has increased due to the spread of West Nile Virus (several deaths in Texas within the last few years) and more recently, Chicken Gunyea disease in the Caribbean (another potential killer).

Most importantly, as the Snopes article points out, Avon Skin So Soft and several commonly suggested "scented oils" or "homemade recipe" bug repellent products have been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN INEFFECTIVE or much less effective than DEET based bug repellents.

Read the article. Also do a search and read the related Consumer Reports article and others which have shown the inneffectiveness of products that do not contain DEET.

In short, "conventional wisdom" "folk remedies" and anecdotal stories or testimony are unlikely to have the scientific evidence to support buying NON-DEET products. Don't fall for the internet stories like "the Royal Marines buy Skin So Soft" and similar myths.

Read this article:

Mosquito Repel Lore : snopes.com

Excerpt:

"Usually such forays into the realm of lore result in nothing worse than solutions which might not work all that well (if at all), but in the case of combating disease-bearing mosquitoes, a less-than-effective solution could prove a deadly choice. Perhaps in those halcyon days before West Nile Virus it might have seemed reasonable to take a chance on non-DEET solutions to the mosquito problem, when all that was being risked was the transient discomfort of a few bug bites, but no longer. In this instance, placing one's faith in lore over science is a dangerous error to make."
DEET might work for mosquitoes, but it does absolutely nothing for noseeums. I have run my own experiments and "have skin in the game," so to speak. I am a pretty hard-core pragmatist and don't have much use for anything that doesn't have scientific merit. So, that's just to say that I'm no dupe.

SSS is no folk remedy either. It works -- not as a repellant, but as a prophylatic. Mosquitoes/noseeums can't get their probosci through the oil. SSS was first recommended to me in the Army by a Ranger.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 02:59   #24

Boat: Pearson 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ View Post
We have/had big infestations with "noseeums" every year on our property and tried about everything one can think of.

The very best we found (thanks to a CF member)without DEET is Victoria Secret's "Amber Romance".

This sounded like a joke but in our desperation we tried it and it works best. It sticks way longer than SSS and it makes ya smell well.
You can find it in a spray bottle (atomizer) and it is easy to apply and always worth a trip to the Victoria Secret's store (of course you can order it online)

We can not say that it helps against mosquitoes but the noseeums seem to hate it.

Fair winds in to the New Year
Martin
My Gawd I haven't be able to walk in there with my eyes open. That's how I got into trouble the last time. Not being able to see I had to grope around with my hands. I didn't open my eyes until I heard the young woman scream. Then it didn't matter because the swelling in my right eye where my wife hit me didn't go down for two weeks. Dangerous little store right there.

All U Get
Old 27-12-2015, 13:14   #25

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
My Gawd I haven't be able to walk in there with my eyes open. That's how I got into trouble the last time. Not being able to see I had to grope around with my hands. I didn't open my eyes until I heard the young woman scream. Then it didn't matter because the swelling in my right eye where my wife hit me didn't go down for two weeks. Dangerous little store right there.

All U Get
Thanks tstano,
I begin to understand why this is never on my "honey do" shopping list. She (my wife) orders it regularly online, for a while I wondered, now it gets clearer and clearer

I remember now, it was CF member 'bobconnie' who brought this to my attention.
Make a custom search for "Amber Romance" here on CF and you will find quite a few threads.
One thing is for sure, it works against noseeums.

Fair winds and sweet smelling
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:39   #26

Boat: Watkins 33

In this same vein:
We need to replace some of our port light screens.
Where can you get mesh small enough that prevent 'No see ums' from passing through into the living quarters?

I heard of something called New York Wire; is there a type or gauge of it, or something recommended- that is small enough to be effective?
dsears3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:52   #27

Boat: Island Packet 420

Instead of replacing your screens, try spraying them real well with a good insecticide (from inside out). That is pretty effective.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsears3 View Post
In this same vein:
We need to replace some of our port light screens.
Where can you get mesh small enough that prevent 'No see ums' from passing through into the living quarters?

I heard of something called New York Wire; is there a type or gauge of it, or something recommended- that is small enough to be effective?
The only I know of is fabric not metal and I cant remember what it's called. The downside is that it actually is so fine it reduces air flow also!

Old 29-12-2015, 11:20   #29

Boat: Watkins 33

Thanks for the advice.
We have to replace the mesh of a screen we just bought at a salvage yard to replace a broken frame.
I assume it'll be almost impossible to buy just a small piece of screen for just one port light, so I might as well get something that is also effective against the no-see-ums here in south Florida/Keys/ Bahamas.
I can see that a smaller mesh could impede air.
Decisions decisions: so much for the romantic and carefree life of a sailor.
dsears3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:35   #30

We had the fabric made into a cover for the companionway. It was just a big rectangle with weighted lead perimeter. Worked pretty well, Had one for the forward hatch also. But it does decrease the air flow.

Tags
Bahamas