Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 09:09   #46

Boat: Allmand 35, Asylum Too
Re: Where is Everything on the Boat?

I use a software program called "Attic Manager." It has saved my bacon several times. For instance, the "dripless shaft seal seals and screws" are located in the "Port Aft Setee Back" cabinet in the "Main Cabin." So if you have a "logical place" for your shaft seals to be located when your main shaft is leaking....well, then your brain works much better than mine. It is well worth the time to set up and manage. It is cheap and very adaptable to the hundreds of storage places available to lose important stuff.
leecoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:23   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have a plastic container made for fishing lures, etc , on my boat that contains a wide variety of nuts, bolts, screws, washer, of every size and shape. At one time, there were little dividers that separated washers from nuts, etc...but I found that some bolts or screws did not fit into a compartment, so two spaces became one, eventually four became one and finally, I threw all the dividers out. There is a certain enjoyment I get from rummaging around this container looking for a specific bolt, and then trying to find a matching nut and washer, as while I'm in there, I also find other size fasteners and think to myself, might as well fix so and so, while I'm in here. My food and beer stash follows along the same lines.
In the same context, I also like to spearfish, and when I'm in the water, I never know what I'm going to find, it becomes the luck of the draw.
In this same manner, meals on my boat, are a voyage of adventure.
Checking items of a list would never, in a million years, work for me. That is waaaaaaay to organized for me.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:33   #48

Boat: Artella 22

Yes, I often ask that.
I am constantly searching for things, without finding them. Often I find what I was searching for a week ago.
Most of the time I have to use another solution.
I try to put things where they should be, but they always move by themselves.
Bjorn_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:39   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have a plastic container made for fishing lures, etc , on my boat that contains a wide variety of nuts, bolts, screws, washer, of every size and shape. At one time, there were little dividers that separated washers from nuts, etc...but I found that some bolts or screws did not fit into a compartment, so two spaces became one, eventually four became one and finally, I threw all the dividers out. There is a certain enjoyment I get from rummaging around this container looking for a specific bolt, and then trying to find a matching nut and washer, as while I'm in there, I also find other size fasteners and think to myself, might as well fix so and so, while I'm in here. My food and beer stash follows along the same lines.
In the same context, I also like to spearfish, and when I'm in the water, I never know what I'm going to find, it becomes the luck of the draw.
In this same manner, meals on my boat, are a voyage of adventure.
Checking items of a list would never, in a million years, work for me. That is waaaaaaay to organized for me.
Loved it! Not my style entirely, but humorous.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:45   #50

We used a vacuum pack machine for everything that we stored in place like the bilge. This included food, electrical parts, toilet paper, etc. and never lost anything.
Krogen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:06   #51

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

So many people sound so organized. I realized after a while that if I simply dug around until I found what I wanted and then threw it back on top of everything then pretty soon the stuff you use all the time is on top. Which is how it should be.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:23   #52

Boat: Cal 2-46

Big tick for the Excel spreadsheet. Sorts by name or location.
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:29   #53

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY

In addition to storing 'like' things in the same area as mentioned before, I zip lock same items and label the baggie...much quicker to find what one needs. I even have a baggie "Misc Screws"..... AND given the storage limitations and having to use bins, etc. to store foods in --- I WRITE in Black Sharpee ink on the top of the can; top of the box, etc what the item is and add the expiration date. Then I store as above - same items in same area ie pastas together; rice; etc. Whatever suits you. I now use that top of the can/box labeling system when on land as it makes finding something a snap and at a glance!
Old 20-11-2020, 10:47   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

FIFO on storage of food. First in first out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 11:28   #55

Boat: Cape Dory 28

My system was to use Open Office (free) spreadsheet to list every spare part or special tool, by device, that is I would label a group “Engine” and then list every spare part, consumable or special wrench for the engine underneath. Next might be Generator, then watermaker etc. The second column would be what I thought was the appropriate number of filters, impellers etc. Next, the current inventory and then let the spread sheet calculate how many to order at the next lay-up port. The final entry was a simple code that indicated where the part was on board. For example, 3US meant the third upper locker on the starboard side.

At the beginning of each season I would inventory the entire list and return the parts that had gone exploring by themselves in the past few months, to where they belonged. The last step was to print it out and attach the printed sheets to a clipboard. That way, if you need to find a stick of beeswax to lubricate the cockpit slide at 0200 hours, you know where to look and you don’t have to turn a computer on.

Similarly if you use a Racor, light-bulb or impeller, you can note it on the clipboard and update the spreadsheet when you have arrived at your destination.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 12:46   #56

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
So many people sound so organized. I realized after a while that if I simply dug around until I found what I wanted and then threw it back on top of everything then pretty soon the stuff you use all the time is on top. Which is how it should be.
I read through 50 posts before finding the one that seems most sensible to me - thanks!
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 22:14   #57

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

63 years ago when I got my first boat at age 10, it was easy. The row boat had oars, an anchor, and a fishing box. As larger boats with a motor came into the inventory, the boat had a spare parts box. No other filing system, just a box for spare parts. Now, many years and many progressively larger boats later, the engine room is loaded with boxes, mostly plastic bins, one containing screws with another containing bolts along with many others. The bin with the bolts has smaller bins within it which contain nuts, flat washers, and lock washers, they're all separate. Various oils and anti-freezes/coolants are kept in one corner, all filters (oil, fuel, air, and water) have their own container. Box/open end wrenches are in one bin while screwdrivers and pliers are in another. The socket sets are kept separately. At this point, you get the picture. No need to describe the contents of every bin. Separate them to the point that you can find your needed part and/or tool within a reasonable time. What's reasonable? That definition is applied much differently when anchored in a quiet cove and making an adjustment after lunch then when in nasty sea conditions when your port engine has just stalled and you know that if you attempt to dock your twin engine boat on a single screw in the storm, you'll be on the dock rather than beside it. Storage - you decide on the system that allows you to retrieve what's needed in a reasonable time.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 23:39   #58

Boat: S&S 40

I have an inventory especially for spares, tools, electric bits, materials etc and note their location, works most of the time.

Same for cans and dry food...sort off
Even then a year later I find things I deemed lost in places I didn't know I even had..lol
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 05:51   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've bought and sold several boats now.

After a boat has sold, it's time to clean it out. I'm always amazed, even stunned to find "stuff" I had long forgotten about...between boat # 2 and # 3, I rented a house with a one car garage and practically filled it to the top with "stuff"I brought off the boat....I could not believe my eyes at all the "stuff" packed into that garage. Even harder to believe all that " stuff" was packed away on the boat.

I've come to believe I'm a secret hoarder.....if I see a piece of 12" long wire laying around, I won't throw it out, I'll keep it, thinking, if I ever need a piece of wire 12" long, I've got it. Off course, I will forget where I put it, so in time, when I do need a piece of 12" long wire, I'll get another one.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 07:07   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
On a 29.9 foot boat, with a 24’ water line, it’s not so hard to remember where stuff is, stuff only goes missing if it wasn’t put back where it goes by whoever failed in that task, then that person has to make coffee every morning... that and not having endless amounts of stuff you shouldn’t have brought onto the boat in the first place make life easier for getting at and putting away the stuff you actually need.
Fair winds,
Indeed.
After all, how many storage spaces does one have on an under 35 Ft boat?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat