Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 10:09   #16

Re: Where is Everything on the Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
This is similar to my "system" and I think most of us have about the same ideas of where to put "stuff". You strike a balance between good organization, available space (that's a big issue), and location near to where you use it. The storage database is all in my brain. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....

Me, too. When you first get the boat, you begin to have a "feel" for where things will work. Then you rearrange a bit to make it better. After a while it becomes second nature.

The biggest danger is to "move something to a 'better' place." That's the true killer, since you'll never find it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 10:25   #17

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

My boat has an unbelievable number of storage areas, so I have a spreadsheet AND a map, and I created another very large storage area where the holding tank used to be when I converted from traditional marine head to Natures Head. Pearson (Bill Shaw) really meant for the owner to be able to carry LOTS of spare parts, sails, and provisions, etc and boy, can you. Like others have suggested, I have segregated storage areas by function, like pfd's, tethers, etc in one cabinet, tools in another, spare parts in another, etc. Since I never use the shower (outdoor showering is the norm), I've also converted that to storage.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 10:28   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I made up an Excel spreadsheet, with things listed in three columns & sorted in three ways: By name in logical alphabetical order (now have better understanding of such as "Socks, Privates for the use of"); By location (Saloon, under portside berth, aft locker) & by category, as in Deck gear, safety gear, tools, etc.
Kept the printout on board. Brilliant. Need a tiny tube of superglue? Instantly found.
Then I had a major interior refit so I had to clear every last thing off the boat. Then it all got put back on board in different places. Meant to redo the listings.
That was 5 years ago.
Sometimes I really miss that spreadsheet...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 10:36   #19

Boat: Tasman 26

For me, the key is some principles:
1. Like things together
2. Locate near where you need them.
3. Regular use/ urgent use determines accessibility. Some thinsg will be OK buried.
4. No paper/cardboard.
5. Dedicated storage for the group. For instance I have platic storage for tools that I also use in my home workshop. I keep them as small as the group allows rather than big 'tubs'. I have a lot from 'reallyusefulboxes' who make for all sorts of specific shapes, items etc eg documents in file folders, LP records and so on. I use small 9litre ones for shifters/wrenches/spanners (insert nationality here...)
6. LABELs.
a.Even though I use clear tubs, I now what is in them in a stack without unstacking. I label on the end and the lid and wherever I am likely to best see the label from the stowed position. Black and White Sharpies are better than labels that can peel. Frozen food in bags, tins with labels removed etc also need a label when you are trying to see them among like objects.
7. Discipline in labelling when they arrive, putting them back straight away after use. Spare parts are often really confusing later, especially those spare bolts or odd fittings and may have no original tags. Ziplock bags and a sharpie when you first get them will help you 'file them' in the right 'Engine Spares' tub, and later identify them. Recording a Part Number is going the extra level and helps you order the replacement immediately when you use that one.
8. Storage plan/diagram AND a spreadsheet. Asking someone to find something is even harder than remembering yourself, so the item might be in 'Third locker under the port saloon seat' but a sketch will get them there faster.
9. Accept that you have CDO which is OCD but with the letters in the RIGHT ORDER!
TomThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 10:41   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I departmentalize too and certain similar things or similar foods get stored together. It depends on the kind of sailing you're doing I suppose too. I am just planning for 1-3 week coastal trips with no re-stocking, so that is similar to offshore passages from the planning standpoint to some extent. Things that I do need often (like maybe binocs) or in an emergency (like hacksaw or bolt cutters) are always in the same easy to-get-at spot, of course. Low priority items (like fenders, toys) get stuffed away. But you know what really helps? Empty the entire boat out once in a while and then sort it out and stow again (in the same departments!) and your refreshed memory will help at 3am in the dark! And you'll probably lighten your boat by about a ton! Oh and it helps to have a smaller boat.
Oh and as Tom says, those clear tubs! They are worth their weight in gold!
And no glass too, unless it is a fine libation.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 14:23   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Take a note book and draw the profile of your boat from over head, maybe in several layers. Define compartments as A. B, C or whatever. Devote the contents to a page, labeled the same, in pencil. As you remove erase as you add write it in.
Admittedly not high tech.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 15:14   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

I just write stuff down, .......... on paper
Old 14-11-2020, 15:55   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Paper. What’s that?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 16:48   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Yup like stuff all goes together. Tools in canvas bags, all in the same area. One bag screwdrivers, one wrenches, one electrical, etc. all engine stuff in the same place, along with autopilot. Food gets arranged by usage- highly popular stuff closest to the stove.

Commonly used and emergency stuff is fast at hand. On the other hand, paint supplies go behind the tool bags. There’s a knife every three feet, since I use knives all the time. Stuff I use once or twice a year (at launch and haul) is stuffed way up under the foot of the V berth.

I have no need for a list because everything is together where it makes sense. There is a ratcheting screwdriver in the silverware drawer because it’s the closest drawer to the cockpit, and the screwdriver gets used daily. Makes sense to me anyway.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 21:34   #25

Boat: Island Packet 349

No matter the system, the thing you need is in the last place you check. There has to be some law of nature ruling this phenomenon.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 22:42   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
No matter the system, the thing you need is in the last place you check. There has to be some law of nature ruling this phenomenon.

The law of nature is that most people stop looking once they've found it
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 04:25   #27

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

This organization Concept goes back very far, probably as far back as Adam trying to find where Eve put the apples he collected and placed back in the right corner of the cave (she moved them because he leaves his **** everywhere).
For me there are two organization maps, the tool/maintenance map and the passage provisions map. I also tape a list to the inside of each door for provisions, not every individual can put things back and be able to close the door and not have **** come tumble out. This is a skill, prior to passage making, we review where provisions are with every member, and how they go in the stowage.
This helps a lot with the opening rummaging and closing, and reduces the stress on the Cabnet hinges, closure latches, cushions, and mindset of the organizer (me) when thinking about the life cycle of the components used to house all the things we deem necessary to take.
I have not used the bilge area for any stowage, I may some day for water there is a company that makes soft “bags” that are for water storage, I like the idea of being able to increase Ballast and freash water storage.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:27   #28

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plavidal View Post
Ha ha! I’ll try and learn from the comments you receive. I once couldn’t find my wet-dry vacuum for several days! Then it showed up exactly where I had carefully placed it! How one can lose a vacuum cleaner on a sailboat is beyond me....
On our boat the Admiral inventories and maintains food and cleaning stores on her computer, we both keep track of weather related clothing and safety gear and I maintain the location, repair and restocking of all service related items. I keep all general tools in one location in separate tool boxes marked "electrical", "wrenches", "sockets", etc. Specialty tools like oil filter wrenches, plumbing snake, etc. are found where the parts for that "department" are stored ala Chotu's system. All safety related items (hole plugs, mallet, emergency electric bilge pump, etc) are where they would be used. Extra fuel, oil, coolant are in a specific locker, all engine related parts and expendables in another, repair materials (wood, glass, paint, plastics) in yet another. Works most of the time but doesn't eliminate misplacing something seemingly impossible to lose. Like a wet-vac.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 13:19   #29

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plavidal View Post
How one can lose a vacuum cleaner on a sailboat is beyond me....

Happened to me, too...

But for food items like all those cans I now have a simple list on my phone that tells me how many cans of what are in each compartment. I started using ipantry on the iphone, which could be useful, too.

For starters, a simple text list will suffice, like:

P/S aft small top shelve:
forward: [...]

Centre:
5 cans tomato paste or diced
4 sachets tomato paste
2 cans champignons
1 pineapple
1 beetroot
2 creamed vanilla rice
1 bamboo shoots
1 chick peas
6 jars pasta sauce 500g
1 jar sundried tomatoes

Aft: [...]

One just needs to remember to update it for every can that leaves the shelves.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 13:30   #30

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

That's certainly an option if you don't trust electronics. A notepad with a page for each locker where you can tick off the number of cans of each item (like 250 g green peas) you take out and add stuff at the bottom when restocking. The advantage of that is that old stuff (that should be used first) is at the top.

For tools and spares I keep them is specific lockers without a detailed list of how many fuel filters I have left. If I use an item like a filter I put it on a separate shopping list.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat