Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 07:05   #1

What’s a solid low energy mini fridge option?

Hi all. Only day sailing with the odd couple nights maximum off the grid (and thoroughly enjoy being anchored versus moored to land).Two battery system with only a small but good trickle charging solar panel (18x18)), minimal other electrical draw (leds and occasional sirocco fan and stereo). Looking to upgrade from a electric cooler to a mini fridge etc., (although with a good block of ice and a yeti things stay relatively cold for a day or so).
Seems the online reviews are untrustworthy (surprise surprise!).

Any advice appreciated. There is an old ice box area that I may look at reinsulating and sourcing parts for a custom set up as another option.

Thanks!
James
oscarhuanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:15   #2

Re: What’s a solid low energy mini fridge option?

https://www.truckfridge.com/

i bought a tf130 which is actually an isotherm 130 renamed for half the price... quite a number of their stuff is isotherm, norcold and the like just rebranded...
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 07:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It seems that many consider the Engle to be about the best.
Building in your own fridge is likely way more expensive and way more work than you might think, if a portable fills the need it will do so for far less money and work.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 09:18   #4

Boat: Tartan 28

I can vouch for this Engle
https://engelcoolers.com/products/mr...RoCNd8QAvD_BwE

It’s been rock solid for a year, gets on the verge of freezing on a very low setting (will easily freeze if you like). We typically consume around 25 amp hours a day with it in florida heat. I got it on sale for around $650. It has resisted corrosion thus far, Engle actually recommends this one for marine use over some of the metal cased versions for that reason. We can fit about 8-10 days worth of food in it (we use it mostly for meat and dairy). I keep ice, drinks, and veg in my icebox where I’m not worried about 50-60 degree temps.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 09:27   #5

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...60#post2325660

scroll up to the top to start
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 09:46   #6

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Engle all the way , one guy in our clubhas two , one for a fridge and the other is a freezer
Old 16-08-2020, 08:30   #7

Boat: Cal-40

In Australia there is a refrigeration company called “Kick Ass*«*. These look like great units. I opted instead to get one made by Engel. Very good build quality, low energy consumption and will freeze to -7 F. Would buy again.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 10:01   #8

Boat: Islander 36

13 years on my Fridgefreeze unit. 11-12 amp hrs through the night, which is what you want to watch if you have solar.
Old 16-08-2020, 10:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

I was so happy with my first Engel which I “installed” into cabinet space where original dorm style frig was previously that I bought a second one that only goes onboard for long trips. As a Deep freezer they will run almost continuously but as a frig they cycle off quite a bit. They sip juice either way.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 10:28   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

A solid low energy fridge is an extreme cooler (well insulated) and 2-1 gal frozen jugs. This will last you 5-7 days in summer conditions and maintain good refrigerator temps.

Other benefits are silent/no fan to listen to, no electric draw and much cheaper. On our old boat and only a week off to go sailing, we did this. It worked well. Use frozen plastic milk jugs (vs. ice blocks) and then your food isn't floating in water.

Not as sexy as an electric fridge, but you don't have to worry about excess power draw/recharging batteries either. Stick w/the Yeti!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 10:43   #11

Boat: csy 37

what bill o says. for a couple of nights the ice route is fine. keep it simple. that's why you go sailing and anchor off.
for a low cost option you might try buying the smallest dorm fridge you can get - probably $80 at walmart. power it with the battery bank and the minimal inverter that will run the fridge (check wattage requirements for the fridge and then double it for the startup kick).
might also need a larger solar panel and maybe more battery, but a little experimentation will tell you that.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 23:15   #12

Try this site - https://www.ozefridge.com/

I already had a hot/cold box and converted it with a kit into this - https://www.ozefridge.com/oze80-fridge-freezer-1

USD - AUD is quite good at the moment.

Also have a Waeco Coolfreeze CF110 Portable Fridge Freezer bit it is too big to get through the companionway opening.
petermck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 03:40   #13

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Engell Take it with you when you leave--battery or shore power, very efficient. I used two of them one as a freezer, the other as a fridge. No problems with either of them in over four years of usage. Before that I had a Danfoss type with a facing door, every time one opened the door all of the cold air escaped. The Engels is a bin type. That is one of the reasons it is so efficient, the other is its excellent closed circuit swing compressor which is quiet and low maintenance.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:14   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

We have been very happy with our Alpicool CF 35, which is a cheap copy of the Engel. Half the price, good reviews, good build quality, works well.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:24   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We are using a Alpicool C20 as a freezer at the moment. Only 20 litres but works well enough if you can supply it with power. About 4A in freezer mode, probably less as a fridge. 1/3rd of the price compared to Domestic / Waeco in Europe.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote