Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 18:38   #16

Boat: Pearson 30
Re: What’s a solid low energy mini fridge option?

Check Cooluli, tiny 1 cf, runs ac/dc. $150.
I’ve had mine for a year and it works great, good to use in combo with icebox.
Holds a gallon of milk, half a dozen 12 ounce cans and room for cold cuts, butter etc.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 22:09   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarhuanga View Post
Hi all. Only day sailing with the odd couple nights maximum off the grid (and thoroughly enjoy being anchored versus moored to land).Two battery system with only a small but good trickle charging solar panel (18x18)), minimal other electrical draw (leds and occasional sirocco fan and stereo). Looking to upgrade from a electric cooler to a mini fridge etc., (although with a good block of ice and a yeti things stay relatively cold for a day or so).
Seems the online reviews are untrustworthy (surprise surprise!).

Any advice appreciated. There is an old ice box area that I may look at reinsulating and sourcing parts for a custom set up as another option.

Thanks!
James
Dometic CD-030 is a nice little drawer fridge.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 06:59   #18

Thanks everyone. Found a new but discounted/discontinued Dometic/Waeco CF40 which should do the trick.
oscarhuanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:18   #19

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Glad you found one. 40 quart is what I have and is a pretty good size compromise between space, cost and energy efficiency. For other cruisers following I just saw this video and the low amperage draw and great price seems to beat my Engle. I will probably buy one in the future and use one as a fridge and one as a freezer.

https://youtu.be/V_prvLXEBeA
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 07:35   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Unless you leave a fridge turned on 24/7, it takes so long to cool down it makes no sense for overnight trips. An ice chest is easier (no re-packing--you had to haul the food to the boat in something anyway) and more food-safe (the ridge will take hours to cool down), so uness I know I'm going to be out for 2 nights or more I just use the cooler.

Wanting a fridge for overnight trips is just land-based habit. You do need to learn how to pack and use a chest. Pre-freeze anything that can be and place frozen water bottles on the top layer (no mess, cold falls). I keep a good stock of frozzen bottles in my home fridge all summer, ready to go.

I do like a fridge. Just not for day sails and overnights.
Old 22-11-2020, 20:50   #21

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

My engle takes hours to cool down. But if you believe the video I linked, the reviewed refrigerator only took 21 minutes to hit 32°, and 47 minutes to hit zero degrees.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 14:11   #22

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Unless you leave a fridge turned on 24/7, it takes so long to cool down it makes no sense for overnight trips. An ice chest is easier (no re-packing--you had to haul the food to the boat in something anyway) and more food-safe (the ridge will take hours to cool down), so uness I know I'm going to be out for 2 nights or more I just use the cooler.

Wanting a fridge for overnight trips is just land-based habit. You do need to learn how to pack and use a chest. Pre-freeze anything that can be and place frozen water bottles on the top layer (no mess, cold falls). I keep a good stock of frozzen bottles in my home fridge all summer, ready to go.

I do like a fridge. Just not for day sails and overnights.

We previously did as you describe. The ice and meltwater were one more thing to handle, and we had to take the cooler back and forth.

Now we leave our cooler-sized Alpicool fridge running while the boat is in the slip and the battery charger connected to shore power. It stays cold. We leave a few things like juice and cheese in the cooler for a week at a time when we are not on the boat, and bring a lightweight insulated bag with what we need for a daysail or overnight and then put it in the cooler once aboard.

Docking situations vary and it is a long and very steep walk down the ramp from the parking lot to the docks for us and it is awkward to make multiple trips.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote