Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 17:01   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: What is your best provisioning tip?

i found presto was just as good as any other pressure cooker. unless you are gourmet chef extraordinaire.

oh yes--and it only cost me 30 usd. lol

as for lasting longer or having to be stainless steel==fugeddaboudid---presto in my boat now has lasted with decent use--over 10 years and it looks as new.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 17:27   #92

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i found presto was just as good as any other pressure cooker. unless you are gourmet chef extraordinaire.

as for lasting longer or having to be stainless steel==fugeddaboudid---presto in my boat now has lasted with decent use--over 10 years and it looks as new.
Thanks!! I am more chef ordinaire but I try. I will look into presto as well. I don't care so much about if it is stainless since I have had a few of those items rust in about two weeks. Just durable and compact would be good and affordable would be even bettah.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 18:24   #93
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Pressure Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
It sounds brilliant and I would like know more about it, but the link you provided shows only cooking ware, unless I'm missing something -- and since I don't know what I'm looking for, I may well be.
Sorry...missed this post...

There are a range of Shuttle Chef pieces within that cookware link, but here's a specific link to the Shuttle Chef unit we use...

Shuttle Chef 6000W, Floating Impressions

...and here's a link (which is actually included in the link above) to a PDF with more information about how it all works...

http://floatingimpressions.com.au/im...it%20Works.pdf

We really use ours a lot...and our usage is increasing. The range of foods that can be thermally prepared is amazing, e.g. soups, side dishes, beans & pulses, rice, pasta, all meats and seafoods, cereal, bread, scones, cakes & desserts, yoghurt, preserves and all manner of varieties within each of those categories.

We started down the thermal cooking path sold on the efficiency and the health benefits of slow cooking -- That and the fact that, within the Shuttle Chef units, the pots are themselves very high quality and suited for conventional cooking as well, i.e. they fulfill galley requirements for pots and they are easily stored inside the Shuttle Chef when not in use -- but we now see convenience as one of thermal cooking's greatest benefits. Prepare your food whenever it suits you...and then eat whenever it suits you. Last night, for example, we joined a group of cruisers for sundowner drinks which carried on a bit into a very pleasant evening and then, when it finished (and we were perhaps a bit beyond feeling like preparing a meal!) there was a hot delicious Caribbean chicken dish waiting in the thermal cooker when we stepped back on board our vessel.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:11   #94

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:

I don't recommend stainless being anything close to a chef but do know the aluminum ones tend to have issues going boom. Stainless is stronger and the one linked is just shy of idiot proof if it hasn't killed me yet.

I also don't like aluminum cookware period but for other reasons.
SC

Edited to add a resource used to make my choice:
http://missvickie.com/workshop/buying.html
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:18   #95

in 60 years of using presto pressure cookers i have never once ever had a boom nor heard of one. they do not boom unless the operator is beyond stoopit. sorry but that is truth. if you do not have experience with the product donot comment

of course, if one were to fill it with propane or some gas then light it off somehow, it could have issues, but that is not proper use of a pressure cooker, now , is it.....
Old 06-09-2013, 19:23   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is your best provisioning tip?

Buy lotsa chocolate...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:31   #97

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Boatie! ++

I use mini-bars Hershey chocolates, by the pound, to grease and reduce bureaucratic delays; better than KY jelly's function, if you pardon the pun. Everyone likes chocolates "for their kids", whether they have kids or not. I like Belgian and Swiss dark semi-sweet chocolates; they can be addictive.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 06-09-2013, 19:33   #98

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
in 60 years of using presto pressure cookers i have never once ever had a boom nor heard of one. they do not boom unless the operator is beyond stoopit. sorry but that is truth. if you do not have experience with the product donot comment

of course, if one were to fill it with propane or some gas then light it off somehow, it could have issues, but that is not proper use of a pressure cooker, now , is it.....
Sorry to disagree and no not everyone who has it happen is stupid. My grandmother ended up with a head injury and stitches and she was far from stupid and careless. She's died a long while back or I'd get the story in total from her. I'm sure she made a mistake but mistakes do not make people stupid.

I have plenty of experience to make this comment and I stand by what I wrote.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:44   #99

Boat: PSC 34
I knew a person who bulged out the bottom of their alloy pressure cooker by leaving the heat on full blast after all the moisture had boiled out of it.with the residual steam pressure and red hot bottom it was lucky it didn't blow.
Old 20-09-2013, 15:27   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull111 View Post
I knew a person who bulged out the bottom of their alloy pressure cooker by leaving the heat on full blast after all the moisture had boiled out of it.with the residual steam pressure and red hot bottom it was lucky it didn't blow.
i know someone who boiled all the water out of her kettle for water boiling----it was on a new electric stove. she nearly burned down her brand new house. this was 1968, in st louis.

rodlmao----there are horror stories everywhere--if you hang on to horror stories you do not intend to leave a dock if you actually have a boat.

i also know someone who cut his thumb so well with a knife while slicing ice cream he made his grandmother faint.
he didnt even lose a digit to it, so all is well.....but we were all a little disappointed at the fact there was no loss of appendage for the drama involved...

someone overheating a pressure cooker is not provisioning tips. horror stories belong in a different place

provisioning is not screwing around in galley to see who can have the most morbid and horrific problem in a kitchen with items normally used in a house with little if any problems.
Old 20-09-2013, 16:41   #101
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"it was lucky it didn't blow. "
Not really. Once all the water has boiled off, the pressure in the pot DROPS back to atmospheric pressure, plus whatever the steam valve adds to that. The damage probably was just from the overheated pot bottom warping, the same way that any pot warps when you leave it on too much heat for too long.
It is really really hard to make modern pressure cookers do anything dramatic in the kitchen. Most of them also have interlocks, so you can't even scald yourself by opening one when it is under pressure.
Probably much safer than ordinary pots and skillets, which create grease fires all over every day.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 09:44   #102

Boat: PSC 34
Actually once the water has boiled off the pressure stays at the max level the " pressure" cooker runs at( unless you bleed it off) and with the bottom now able to get super hot( no water turning to steam to cool it) why then could you not heat the bottom hot enough to the point where 3 or 4 psi could burst it. You engineers feel free to chime in. The pot in question was bulged out so badly on the bottom it would roll off a stove. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.
Old 09-10-2013, 22:04   #103

Boat: Bluewater Ingrid 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull111 View Post
Actually once the water has boiled off the pressure stays at the max level the " pressure" cooker runs at( unless you bleed it off) and with the bottom now able to get super hot( no water turning to steam to cool it) why then could you not heat the bottom hot enough to the point where 3 or 4 psi could burst it. You engineers feel free to chime in. The pot in question was bulged out so badly on the bottom it would roll off a stove. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.
Engineer chiming in.

Your statement is theoretically true but misleading. The steam being generated is what creates the pressure, and when the water is depleted the pressure will slowly drop. No water left, no source for any additional pressure; not a perfect seal, slow pressure drop.

Even with another pressure source, unless both the pressure controller and relief valve have failed, the pot cannot have "another 3 or 4 psi" of pressure. Any pressure above the pressure controller setpoint will be released there. Any pressure beyoud the design pressure of the pot will blow out the pressure relief valve which is required on all pressure cookers today.

That said, I'd be afraid of any pressure cooker that had a bottom so bowed that it could roll off the stove. At that point all bets are off as to what is its failure pressure - certainly much lower that its rated pressure.

Glenn
S/V Columbine
ColumbineAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 22:18   #104

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have a stainless pressure cooker, not for safety, but we just don't cook in aluminum pans of any type! All our pans are stainless.Except for the cast Iron ones we just can't live with out! Like our dutch oven! Connie has a cast iron griddle she loves! She can cook for a bunch of folks for breakfast on it. We have found the pots and pans we use over the years at a lot of garage sales and flea markets !! The only store bought pot we have is our stainless pressure cooker! We use it a bunch! Connie can take a piece of mexican beef and turn it into a gormay meal in a pressure cooker!!
Old 09-10-2013, 22:45   #105

I haven't bothered to read this entire thread. I suspect there has been thread drift since the original post. My best tip is in the realm of how to instead of what to take with you. Rotate what you have. Make room by cleaning out the old stores. You may be surprised by how old purchases become so much detritus which subtracts from room for new stores. And keep your pantry clean.

I have had an aluminum pressure cooker going on now over 30 yrs. Still works great, just keep track of where the little pressure thingy is. I've twice seen cookers go boom. Just don't be in the path of that lead bullet when she blows. In contrast to what zee says, it doesn't take stoopit, inattention is sufficient.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, provisioning