Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 01:00   #121

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: What is your best provisioning tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbess View Post
Has anyone got a good food provisioning list for 3 meals per day and 7 days? Hopefully you have tried it and had good success with it or modified it.
Sure. How many people, do you have refrigeration? Freezer? Allergies? Dislikes? I do meal planning and provisioning all the time on delivery.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 03:39   #122

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
My #1: Don't over provision. Ive seen cruisers cache away enough food for a nuclear holocuast. Did this the first time we went cruising too. Always good to have some reserve staples, but guess what, there's food "out there" too.

We prefer to buy local and eat fresh, real food (not the mystery chemical concotions found in most USA style grocery stores). It can be a challenge to find real food in shops like that.

Also, shopping in the local market adds to the cruising experience...interact with the locals, learn what they eat, add a few words to your vocabulary, try new foods. Most vendors in the markets are more than happy to answer questions, give you samples, and suggest how to prepare.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 05:55   #123

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
in 60 years of using presto pressure cookers i have never once ever had a boom nor heard of one. they do not boom unless the operator is beyond stoopit. sorry but that is truth. if you do not have experience with the product donot comment

of course, if one were to fill it with propane or some gas then light it off somehow, it could have issues, but that is not proper use of a pressure cooker, now , is it.....
Yahoo!!! I'm glad someone finally said it "I have never had a boom nor heard of one"
Neither have I. I used an old one for years I inherited from my mother. I think she used to make my baby food in it before Mr Edgells got into the act. The only reason I stopped was the rubber seal finally deteriorated so badly it no longer held pressure and I could not get a replacement.
It made great meals in minutes. I never had a problem with it, even the few times I forgot about it and it boiled dry. The food inside just burnt and stuck to the metal like any other pot.
I think the rumour that they are dangerous is just an urban myth.
As some have already pointed out they are great for cruising because they save on gas and if do get tipped over in heavy weather there is little or no news to clean up.

Back on topic .... I am surprised no one has mentioned packet noodles. They are great to bulk up soups and stews. I also save the sachet of condiments, especially the spicy Asian one to add more flavour to other dishes.
Old 26-10-2013, 08:08   #124

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I do know of one pressure cooker going boom, funny story, amazingly the user was not injured, but it really trashed his galley area. Not surprising given the sailor...a history of misadventures.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 08:57   #125

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I've been giving this some thought.

I think my best tip would be to not expect your cooking style to change significantly. Trying will make you and everyone you feed unhappy.

The only change I made in my own style was adding pressure cooking, which has been an easy extension of using dutch ovens and a replacement for a slow cooker.

I carry a Presto 16 qt pressure canner that dates back to the late 50s and 5 l Kuhn Rikon cooker.

I swapped my food processor and blender for a stick blender. Otherwise I cook the way I always have.

I'm not big on dried foods, with one exception, due to the water requirement. The exception is dried mushrooms.

I do tend to look carefully at products that don't last long but are based on ingredients that do last. Most long term cruisers make their own bread. Making mayonnaise is easier. Yogurt from UHT milk is an easy project.

Paper products like TP and paper towels never go bad and are great for stopping rattles.

I don't know how I managed a kitchen without a Foodsaver vacuum sealer.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:23   #126

Buy fresh wherever you are.
Spear or catch as much as you can.
NZ or OZ Corned beef for when you are in a pinch.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 09:27   #127

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Include a fishing kit! A freshly caught fish, is priceless! Yummm!

Mauritz
Broiled fresh fish with butter lemon sauce, Chateau d'Yquem Bordeaux white wine...
Old 26-10-2013, 09:36   #128

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Chateau d'yqueme Bordeaux????

I couldn't find it on the shelf near the Two Buck Chuck. Can I come over to your boat for dinner?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:08   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I've been giving this some thought.

I think my best tip would be to not expect your cooking style to change significantly.
My cooking has changed significantly since we've become water-based. We now eat much less meat than we used to, it is difficult to store without a freezer and is expensive when compared with other proteins. We now eat beans and lentils at least four times a week. I also added a pressure cooker to my galley equipment and recently a Wonderbag (see earlier post).

I enjoy cooking and now have the time to research different foodstuffs and come up with new recipes. If we're missing something from home I work out how to make it and the results are often better than at home. When we first used to go back to the UK we used to crave chinese and indian food, now we prefer what I can produce on the boat using authentic recipes and ingredients and far less fat and preservatives.

Not everyone enjoys cooking but, if you do, you may find that it becomes a greater joy as well as a challenge.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:24   #130

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Roy! Chateau d'Yquem Bordeaux white wine should be available in San Diego! When I lived in suburban Chicago, the local "spirits" store had an isle full of wine imports. One time, I asked the owner if he could stock requests; he obliged! I then requested two favorites for stocking; Merlot (red) and Chateau d'Yquem white wine imported from Bordeaux. A case (12 bottles) of each...I'd give them in special occasions...birthdays, holidays, weddings, graduations and...to my sailing friends when catching fish while sailing.

Once you've tried a few Bordeaux, everything else will taste like Muscatel and Ripple; $1 per gallon, return the empty bottle for 70 cents refund! Take care!

Mauritz
Life is too short, live it up to the max!
Old 26-10-2013, 16:10   #131
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Three meals per times seven days?

Let's see, maybe 20 slices in a loaf of Wonderbread...So you'll need two or three loafs, and depending on your appetite, one or two big jars of peanutbutter and jelly. let's say three loaves and two jars of each. Stack of paper plates, some throw-away knives, and you're in business.

What, you have to have whole wheat?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:04   #132

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

hellosailor......you got the right idea...ya can't beat a good ole PBJ...I'm picky...I like "crunchy"......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 10:21   #133

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
... I swapped my food processor and blender for a stick blender. Otherwise I cook the way I always have...
I'm quite fond of my
Amazon.com: Chef'n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper, Cherry Color: Kitchen & Dining
This works so well, I'm going to buy one for my cabin too, where I already have an electric Cuisinart .
Old 28-10-2013, 10:50   #134

Boat: Swarbrick 40

I heard a good tip somewhere recently, sorry if its been mentioned before in this thread. Its a good idea to get rid of as much of the packaging as possible. Saves on a load of space and reduces the amount of garbage you always seem to be travelling with.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:29   #135
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Chateau d'yqueme Bordeaux????

I couldn't find it on the shelf near the Two Buck Chuck. Can I come over to your boat for dinner?
I take the truck once a year to France , load up with local cooperative wine usually in 3 or 5 litres bag-in-box , at about € 1/litre. Fantastic whites rose and reds. Che as chips , no sulphites, etc. , now if they could just work out how to re provision me at sea ! ( anyway the wife has decided all cruising must be within 50 km of a French port ! )

Dave

Tags
paracelle, provisioning