Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 21:56   #46

Mayo will not go bad at room temperature. It is indeed all about cross contamination. The only reason that Hellman's recommends to refrigerate after opening is because it will separate. I am sorry that any of you got sick. At the same time it is fallacious of those who say it is OK because they did not get sick. That is not science. What are my credentials? PhD in food science, former senior director of Green Giant technology & engineering and Consumer Service Laboratories, group that invented River Ranch Dressing, former director of research Florida Dept of Citrus food safety and nutrition, team leader Univ of California that invented peeled baby carrots. Member of original USDA team that developed first HAACP food safety regulations. I know food science. Mayo unrefrigerated by itself will NOT sicken you. Regardless of the eggs. It is impossible. It would be something else. The same for peanut butter. If you get sick, it is because you were not careful and there was cross contamination.
Smokingator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 22:27   #47

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: What food to buy without refrigeration?

Vacuum sealing will significantly prolong the shelf life of many fresh foods. Our local butcher will vacuum seal any meat we ask for if we are going cruising. In fact we like the concept so much that we bought our own vacuum sealer. Many vegetables, such as onions, garlic, chillis, carrots, cabbage, swede, parsnip etc. if kept in a dry and reasonably well ventilated spot (a hanging net bag, for example) will last well for weeks. Lemons, limes and oranges also last well.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:44   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
2) we use our dehydrator a LOT before sailing... Go to a farmers market,stock up, then dry them, vacuum bag them, and enjoy for weeks
Not to take away from the perpetually fascinating fight about mayo ... but I'd love to hear more about drying foods. We've always dried our own food when canoe/kayak camping. Now that sailing has taken over, we continue to carry plenty of dried staples. We dry everything from jerky and ground beef to veggies, fruits, sauces and whole stews. Pretty much anything can be dried, and if it's done correctly, can last for years.

What driers do people use? We have a home-built version, similar to this one, but it obviously isn't coming with us on board. Anyone drying while cruising?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09   #49

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

We bought sausages, crackers and sodas in Dominican Republic, lasted until Florida with out refrigeration.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10   #50

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I don't use many cans, and NO "mre's."
That's noble, and I'm sure your garbage is less than mine, but looking at your grocery list there was still lots of packaging, not "almost zero". Not criticising you, just the optimistic phrasing.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10   #51
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingator View Post
Mayo will not go bad at room temperature. It is indeed all about cross contamination. The only reason that Hellman's recommends to refrigerate after opening is because it will separate. I am sorry that any of you got sick. At the same time it is fallacious of those who say it is OK because they did not get sick. That is not science. What are my credentials? PhD in food science, former senior director of Green Giant technology & engineering and Consumer Service Laboratories, group that invented River Ranch Dressing, former director of research Florida Dept of Citrus food safety and nutrition, team leader Univ of California that invented peeled baby carrots. Member of original USDA team that developed first HAACP food safety regulations. I know food science. Mayo unrefrigerated by itself will NOT sicken you. Regardless of the eggs. It is impossible. It would be something else. The same for peanut butter. If you get sick, it is because you were not careful and there was cross contamination.

Wow. i've been lucky -- I haven't had it separate.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingator View Post

Would you agree that people on boats, especially at sea when it is more difficult to clean utensils thoroughly, should have a separate cutting board for raw chicken?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
That's noble, and I'm sure your garbage is less than mine, but looking at your grocery list there was still lots of packaging, not "almost zero". Not criticising you, just the optimistic phrasing.

Onno

I haven't posted a grocery list. I think you have me mixed up with someone else.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25   #54

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Not stepping into a fight but i read at "the mayo clinic" lol, that mayonaise especially store bought is an acidic. Or acified food that kills most bacterias hence the not needing to refrigerate. Also carries a very low % of eggs. Some under 2%. I would personally feel better putting homemade mayo in the fridge but storebought so far so good. Have only been poisened by chicken at a barb q place, from one nasty bite i spit out and was still sick for 2 weeks.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32   #55

Dang.

Another interesting no-refrigeration thread wrecked by the warring mayo factions.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Not stepping into a fight but i read at "the mayo clinic" lol, that mayonaise especially store bought is an acidic. Or acified food that kills most bacterias hence the not needing to refrigerate. Also carries a very low % of eggs. Some under 2%. I would personally feel better putting homemade mayo in the fridge but storebought so far so good. Have only been poisened by chicken at a barb q place, from one nasty bite i spit out and was still sick for 2 weeks.

Chicken, once it's turned, smells incredibly nasty, but barbecuing might kill the smell. That really sounds awful.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:01   #57

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
It was smoked, killed the smell not the taste. At least i lost 22lbs !!! Might need to eat it more often lol...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23   #58

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Hope this helps find peace in the mayo wars. I prefer smal squeeze bottles as there is no knife dipping into the container no contact with other surface.
Here it is from Hellmanns. Mayonnaise can be stored on the shelf before opening. However, once opened refrigeration is recommended. For your information, we included a quote from "The Association for Dressings and Sauces" pamphlet Mayonnaise: The Misunderstood Dressing:
..."from a food safety standpoint, commercial mayonnaise (meaning not-homemade) and mayonnaise-type dressings are perfectly stable when stored at room temperature after opening. Quality, not safety, is the only reason the labels on our products suggest that they be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration ensures that the commercial mayonnaise keeps its fresh flavor for a longer period of time."
For additional information, on this issue, tips on mayonnaise safety and links to government agencies food safety information, please visit the website www.dressings-sauces.org .
Thanks for your interest!
Your friends at Hellmann's
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 13:37   #59
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Don't go overboard, pardon the pun, on dehydrated items because at sea you'll probably yearn for juicy fruits and vegetables. I go for lots of variety, so include some cans of mixed Chinese vegetables and other oddball ethnic fruits and vegetables for variety.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:38   #60

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Hi JazzyO,
This is a off topic "trash vs. refrigeration". But to fine-tune ... there is re-cycling and garbage. I aim for zero waste (not saying I hit the mark ... just that I try)

Zero waste means that all end-products can either be RE-CYCLED or RE-USED. For example when I buy a packet of felafel mix, the cardboard can be re-cycled. Good. The plastic baggie becomes garbage. Bad. When I buy from bulk bins, I re-use those plastic baggies a few times before they become "garbage". I re-use all plastic yogurt containers multiple times. The few times I buy canned foods, the cans go straight to garbage b/c I can't figure a use for them and they don't really recycle like aluminum, glass, and paper. So I rarely buy cans.

Apologies for going off-topic and getting so enthusiastic about trash, but I am one of those people who is horrified by the impact of plastic on ocean life and the floating island of plastic refuse in the pacific. I try to do small things and encourage others.
I honestly don't mean to be all soap-box or whatnot ... but I like that old saying: waste not want not.
Now ... back to refrigeration vs. no refrigeration ...
cheers,
NatKat
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, refrigeration