Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 17:57   #226

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
GM , is the active deliberate modification of the DNA , selective breeding and even hybridisation is not GM.
Then what is it?

Wikipedia agrees with what you are saying and I can see that, but selection or hybridisation are also modification by removing unwanted characteristics or adding characteristics that are not at the forefront.

If we were adding fish DNA to a tomato so it could grow scales and prevent rot, I would say the Wiki definition fits totally. But if you are simply retarding ,mutilating or stimulating something that already exists in the plant genus, that too is genetic manipulation. The fact that it already exists within the genus would mean that you are using selective breeding or hybridisation.

Just my thoughts. And I have been known to be wrong.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 19:31   #227

it's a semantic point .. not trying to debate you.. your point is well taken.

Maybe a more useful definition of GM would be the introduction of cross species or artificially created genes.
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:12   #228
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
it's a semantic point .. not trying to debate you.. your point is well taken.

Maybe a more useful definition of GM would be the introduction of cross species or artificially created genes.

There is no point to making up new terms that would only be used in this forum.

There's two kinds of genetic manipulation. The first is the creation of hybrids, something that's been going on for thousands of years -- really since life began. It's been done by Mother Nature and by humans. We have dogs because someone bred wolves selectively.

Genetic engineering is an entirely different thing, splicing foreign DNA into a plant's genome. It can only be done in a laboratory.

Those genetically altered plants can now contribute to the hybrids already out there, but they are two entirely different processes.

Personally I don't worry too much about genetic engineering in vegetables. I seriously doubt it's going to do us any harm. It also doesn't bother me that we have hybrids. The tomato trumpeted here as a "pure" tomato, the heirloom, is itself a hybrid variety.

But I do think if people are going to be concerned about genetic engineering, they should know enough about genetics to know that hybridization is not 'genetic engineering' in any way or form.

Mother nature creates hybrids all the time. In fact, many plants will not produce fruit, berries or seeds without it. that's the whole point of cross-pollenization, which is not something humans invented and which has gone on for a very, very long time. In fact, preventing cross-pollenization would cause the extinction of some plants.

I think if people are going to rally for a cause it is important for them to have the vocabulary right.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 21:12   #229

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Folks down the Bayou dry a lot of shrimp on white painted plywood. Flip them everyday heavey salt, dry till the shell shucks off and then another day or two. vacume seal or put in a zip lock and store in a cool dry place. Last for months this way ! I buy them from friends then sure work good in gumbo, or in stuffed flounder and such !! Woops forgot to say they cover them at night or when it rains LOL
Old 13-08-2013, 05:52   #230

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I don't to dive deep into GMO foods because this is a sailing forum. I'm not sure the scientists are fully aware of the implications of their work. It may be harmless but maybe not. Hybrids and GMO are indeed quite different. There isn't a lot of really solid info out there. How many times know history have we seen assurances that something is harmless only to learn later it isn't?

Here is one concern worth considering:
http://www.responsibletechnology.org...ews_viral_gen/

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 07:22   #231

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post

He probably means the cheap pink ones that have no taste.
I don't buy these. The average grocery store here does have several variaties, and some are quite tasty,but so more expensive. Tomatoes, like boats, are a compromise. The same process that produces AWB's is at work here too.

I usually buy cherryt omatoes to put in salad. If I want to make a tomato sauce I use canned tomatoes. They are fare more suited for this.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 07:28   #232

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

Really? GM stands for genetically modified, correct? Genetic modification usually means selecting breeds for consistent size, colour and usability/saleability.
No, this is not what s generally understood as genetically modified. Per you definition almost all our food could be considered GMO.

With GMO's are normally meant organisms modified using modern gene splicing techniques. I have nothing against GMO. There have been attempts at producing tomatoes that remained firm while ripening on the vine, using GM techniques, so they would taste like real sun ripened tomatoes, but till could be transported. So far these have not been very successful.
Old 13-08-2013, 07:29   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
The reason Most storebought produce has no flavor isnt because it's GM (and gm does actually mean genetically modified in a lab.. not by crossbreeding) it is because theyre picked long before theyre ripe, chilled and put on shelves.

And GM foods are everywhere sadly. A little shocker as well for those who didnt know. Genes cross species in nature via natural processes. (there are some microorganisms that will actually incorporate some of the genes of their prey in fact...)

So when we create some unknown sequence to incorporate into the food chain... it's quite possible it could someday make its way into the human genome. We're playing w fire as usual. But hey as long as someone is making a profit right..
We've been playing with fire for millennia. We're still here :-)
Old 13-08-2013, 12:11   #234
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
We've been playing with fire for millennia. We're still here :-)
guy across the road from me , walked to work for 40 years…. He was run down last week.

Dave
Old 14-08-2013, 11:32   #235

Boat: Hunter 25

Shame my first post has to be like this. I started reading this thread to get some ideas. After all, What food to buy without refrigeration seemed to be an interesting question. Let me look elsewhere. Not really that interested in a novel about mayonnaise or cholesterol. Was kinda lookin forward to reading what kind of decent foods you could get or make without having to have a cooler.
jashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:40   #236
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Hi Jashar... a belated Welcome to CF...
Not many sail without refrigeration these days so silly stuff abounds...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:53   #237

Boat: Hunter 25
Cool Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Thanks Boatman! Didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Just that I see so many forums go off kilter and start a thread within a thread within a thread, etc. It always seems to end up in a private p***ing match. But it's good to be here just the same.
jashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 12:10   #238
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashar View Post
Thanks Boatman! Didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Just that I see so many forums go off kilter and start a thread within a thread within a thread, etc. It always seems to end up in a private p***ing match. But it's good to be here just the same.
LMAO.... don't worry about it..
There's a couple of threads on budget sailing.. one's been closed but I think can still be read and another by David Old Jersey 'Shoestring Sailors under $500/mth' or something like that... maybe worth a browse.. remember posting some stuff on the 1st one a coupla 3 years back...
Enjoy the read.. and I hope you get something out of them..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 06:34   #239

Boatman 61: I know about Palma Hams but I have never purchased the leg of ham and hung it . Can you hang it in your boat and just carver off some meat when you need it? Do you cover it and how long can you hang it before it goes bad? I know it's cured but do you hang it in cool place? Please give me some additional info on how to store it. Leaving Houston in November 2013 for the Caribbean then off to Cape Verde and then into the Med and Northern Spain. Hanging the ham would give me another choice of food for the crossing.
Thanks
Kingwoodie
s/v "The Lady Margaret Ann"
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:08   #240

Boat: Fuji 32

Japanese food stores have always sold sailing foods, like curry mix, mung bean for sprouts, ramen, snacks, candy, dehydrated everything, canned fishes (YUMMMM), tea, rice, noodles, Japanese cod roe spaghetti... Beer, Sake, Shochu... I'm mostly Japanese, but I love Polar Kipper Snacks, Havarti, and I like to hang up a REAL dry salami too. That's my Brit and Portuguese DNA! These Japanese sailor foods are eat from package or at most only need hot unsalted water (or sun water if you are patient; not too patient, or stuff will grow :P)...

You don't even need can opener for most of this stuff, just teapot, ziplocks, plastic bowls and chopsticks. Vitamin pill. Tang.

And fishpole (I use handline), tackle (sabikis), license (if needed inshore). Fresh is best.

BTW: not all Japanese fish is sushi. Sushi is complex art, and fish can kill you if you eat wrong one wrong way or at wrong time of year or from bad water. Study master's writing before trying to eat raw fish.

Rakuten and Efooddepot and Amazon sell worldwide, but local Japanese market cost less...
Tea House is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, refrigeration