Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2011, 11:44   #46

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: What do you have in your galley?

32' heavy displacement with great stowage capacity. Previous years backpacking/alpining helped with a sense of what might work. Nesting stainless camp kit with removeable handles: 1 large and 1 small sauce-pan a fry pan and a couple of wide shallow bowls. Just got a set of burner rings for the wood-burner that allow different sized pans to nest into the open burner "ports" of the stove and a small Dutch Oven to use when we have a fire going. Am looking forward to getting alcohol burner drop-ins for the wood burner then this will give me two burners for simmering to work with the single burner gaz stove for jobs that want more heat. I have a wooden chopping bowl that works with a curved blade so I can sit and chop in my lap if I have to... makes a fine salad bowl for company as well.
Small camp-style pressure cooker yet to come.
Still more work to do for a good practical galley but it's comming...
This pic is courtesy of Navigator Stoveworks; not my stove nor my installation which needs finishing with some sheet copper to look as pretty.

Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:19   #47
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Okay, I'll try it with pictures

First the most important items: for coffee!!

Proctor Silex coffee grinder. I love how the cord stores inside the unit!

Contoure coffee maker. It's about the only compact under the cabinet coffee maker left. We got it from a RV shop but I believe even West Marine has it now.

Oh, the horror of American perculators No, better go the original Italian way then with a moka! And Bialetti is the original and still sold world wide:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:28   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Speaking about Bialetti.. when you buy that stuff, we help their economy a bit and they need it

We just bough a ceramic coated Bialetti frying pan. Now this is the most amazing find we did in years!! No matter what you do, it cleans just like that, very good non-stick without the trouble or dangers. Ceramic cookware, recommended!

We bough ours simply in a Winn-Dixy supermarket

Edit: oops, I just read some reviews stating that the coating does not last more than a couple of months... lesson learned, never buy without first researching on the Internet first

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 12:41   #49

I've got this coffee grinder and it is an absolute god send. Manual, no cords, takes maybe one minute of easy grinding to make enough for 2 1/2 cups (my oversize thermos). I had a terrible manual grinder before that had me grinding for eons. This guy is so much better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001804CLY

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 13:01   #50

Boat: Allures 44

Cool, thanks Rebel!

We usually make coffee with our french press, but for espresso style (and efficient use of coffee, water, energy) we have an Aerobie Press.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:48   #51

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

For coffee:

Bodum electric kettle... we only have two 6lb propane, but enough power so this works great for us. 700 watts and boils water in 3 1/2 minutes. (click here)

Thermos french press. Works great for us (click here)

The Big Boss Blender grinds our coffee and it's a great alternative to the Magic Bullet: (click here)
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 16:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Currently a 21footer with a two burner and grill stove...
1 medium frying pan (Bacon n eggs)
1 small saucepan (baked beans etc)
1 whistling kettle
1 4L pressure cooker (curries, pot roasts, veg etc)
1 grill tray (cheese on toast, toast, more cheese on toast)
1 french press (coffee, tea etc)
1 small coffee/spice grinder/blender run of portable invertor.
Pretty much my inventory too except for the coffee grinder and grill tray. Also have a Braun Hand Mixer for smoothies and it also has a handy chopper blade and bowl to chop and mince things fast. Could probably use it as a coffee grinder too but, never tried it. Power it with an old cheap and dirty inverter:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHAT WORKS ON BOARD: Powerstar DC Converter
Which also is used to power my Dremel tool too for quick projects. Pressure cooker is probably most used pot onboard. Use it for cooking rice, making my pasta sauces, soups etc... Would miss it if it was not on board.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49   #53

Boat: Bristol 38.8

There is no single right approach to stocking a galley. It's one thing to equip a galley on a 55 footer with a genset and inverter, quite another on a 28 footer that is 12v only.

Some generic comments based on my experience:

1. Use nonstick cookware. Saves water when you are cleaning up. Another huge water saver is a salt water footpump in the galley. Wash the dishes in salt water, rinse in fresh.

2. As others have noted, pressure cookers are useful. I should use mine more.

3. Strongly recommend a Bialetti if you like good coffee.

4. Plan on lots of one-pot meals: stews, hearty soups, chili, etc. You need a good thermos to keep it hot (and another for coffee).

5. Stock quinoa instead of rice. Quinoa is more nutritious than either brown rice or oatmeal.

6. Get a magnetic strip for your cutlery. Also install an under-the-counter liquid soap dispenser if you don't already have one.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08   #54

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I agree with daddle; very little changes for me on the boat. The only exception is the dishwasher--On board, I'm the dishwasher; at home it's a Kitchenaid.
Old 16-01-2012, 09:09   #55

Boat: Made offer on a Regal
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Love the post. Great views. But no one so far that I have seen has mentioned a slow cooker (crock pot to most). My wife would kill if she did not have one. The one we got from Kitchen collection was $24 dollars. She can do a roast in it no problem. It takes very little power (around 48 watts on med, 78 on high).
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 14:37   #56

Boat: Hunter 33

Well.. i have just gained more knowledge than i know what to do with.. great thread!!
rileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 04:15   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
It would be helpful to know what size boat (and hence, your galley) is. On my 41 footer, with ample galley space, I pretty much have the same stuff I have in my kitchen at home.
Toaster, Micro, Coffee maker, small blender, small food processor, small hand mixer are my electric goodies and I use them all.
A small and a large frying pan, three sizes of pots, one six quart pressure cooker, all of these are Cooks Essential brand of quality, heavy gauge steel. Use them all.
One small covered roaster w/ meat lifter, small baking pan with one inch high sides, silicone cake pans (2), silicone bundt pan, small aluminum colander, steamer insert and double boiler inserts for largest pot.
Pizza pan, mesh grease splash-guard for largest pan. Three stainless mixing bowls, three covered Pyrex baking dishes. two wire cake cooler racks, one small rectangular metal cake/brownie pan.
One "slam"chopper for onion, celery, etc. Yes, I use it all.
Lots of utensils, I will list if you ask, but I sense some yawning in the gallery. I use regular flatware and dishes, fids hold them in place. Acrylic glassware.
The only thing I have yet to make use of is a Pyrex juicer. I may take that off the boat if I still don't use it by summer.
Strangely, but +1 on all that galley equipment except for:

- don't have/use pressure cooker
- love and use the juicer
- vacuum sealer with bags
- also have bread pan, bread stone, and bread moisture pans
- different brands for pots & pans

We're on the 35' boat and it all fits and works without a problem. Also at any point carry 2 month food supplies for 2 people in addition to all the other stuff, like books, clothes, bathing stuff, several changes of bedding, a full set of tools and chemicals, and of course all the sails, fishing, etc. No visible space is taken except for a book shelf.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 05:39   #58

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

How about something I don't have enough of? Soup spoons... seriously, it seems when I have company over I serve bowl food -- clam chowder, soups and such. One thing I didn't consider when stocking the boat was having enough spoons for company.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:40   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
How about something I don't have enough of? Soup spoons... seriously, it seems when I have company over I serve bowl food -- clam chowder, soups and such. One thing I didn't consider when stocking the boat was having enough spoons for company.
If it's a bigger occasion than a dinner with another 1 or 2 cruising couples, we usually ask to bring their own plates and cutlery and glasses and some food to contribute. People are happy to do that as everyone comes together for some socializing first, drinks second, food third.

We found that nobody expects a completely setup dinner on the boat - the atmosphere is very casual...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 11:16   #60

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
This is a great thread! Hubby and I just bought our first boat, a Cat 27. We haven't even used it yet! But a previous owner took out the galley for what reason, I do not know. All that remains is a countertop on legs and a small sink. (no faucet) We plan on cruising the first summer then hubby will build a proper galley over the winter. This thread has given me many good ideas.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley