Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2011, 02:42   #1

Boat: Sigma 33 C
What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

When you starting sailing/cruising what did you think you would need in your galley? Did you use it? Did you toss it? Or was there something that you wish you had taken with you but didn't? Has the way you cook changed? Just instrested in your view people. It' s that time before being able to start work on fixing up the boat as it's still too cold and windy. Thanks all.
Sarico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 04:09   #2

Re: What do you have in your galley?

Nothing changes as I move from house to boat. Same stuff. Galley is the same. Long crossings on the boat are just like extreme sloth on land: the dining gets dicey.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 04:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What do you have in your galley?

Pressure cooker.... priceless..
Cook all in one pot... seperately... yet together...
Gaz goes so much further..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 05:10   #4

I tried a pressure cooker for a while. It didn't fit into my routine. Perhaps it is due to my single-person tiny quantities? Shipped it to my mom. The little tick-tick rhythm of the regulator was kinda cool though.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 05:21   #5

Boat: Tartan 30

I brought 1 pot, 1 sauce pan, and 1 teflon pan. 1 pressure cooker and 1 teapot. In 6 months the only ones I've used are the teapot, teflon pan, and pot. (two burner galley, but I've never used two burners at the same time)

I'll keep the sauce pan for later... The pressure cooking is still on my to-do list, so thats not going anywhere yet.

I also have a SS mixing bowl that gets used on occasion. Usually for holding popcorn... but occasionally for mixing dough.

The teapot gets the most use. I also have a 'thermal cooker' that gets used regularly. I make a pot of water in the morning, use it to make coffee in a french press, use it to make oatmeal, and use it to make rice or something in the thermal cooker... When I come home from work, the rice is done and hot, and I just stir-fry up whatever else I'm having in the teflon pan

Another note... I thought I needed removable handles, so I got the saucepan and pot with removable handles. They are nice, but it's really not necessary even for my little galley and limited storage.
Old 30-12-2011, 05:40   #6

Boat: Gemini 3200

Put a quantity (lets call it "x") of dried black turtle beans in your pressure cooker. Add 8 to 10 times x of water. Dice an onion or two (depending on the size of x) and add it to the mix. Put 2 x brown rice in a stainless steel mixing bowl with 2 x water. Add a pat of butter to the rice. Put the mixing bowl in the pressure cooker with the beans, onions, and water. For one person, x is 1/4 cup. Bring the pressure cooker up to full pressure (15 psi) and cook for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat, let it cool until the pressure drops. Serve the beans on top of the rice.

Vast quantities of dried beans and brown rice weigh very little and take up little space. Their shelf life is considerable. The pressure cooker really reduces the time required to cook dried beans.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 05:47   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

It would be helpful to know what size boat (and hence, your galley) is. On my 41 footer, with ample galley space, I pretty much have the same stuff I have in my kitchen at home.
Toaster, Micro, Coffee maker, small blender, small food processor, small hand mixer are my electric goodies and I use them all.
A small and a large frying pan, three sizes of pots, one six quart pressure cooker, all of these are Cooks Essential brand of quality, heavy gauge steel. Use them all.
One small covered roaster w/ meat lifter, small baking pan with one inch high sides, silicone cake pans (2), silicone bundt pan, small aluminum colander, steamer insert and double boiler inserts for largest pot.
Pizza pan, mesh grease splash-guard for largest pan. Three stainless mixing bowls, three covered Pyrex baking dishes. two wire cake cooler racks, one small rectangular metal cake/brownie pan.
One "slam"chopper for onion, celery, etc. Yes, I use it all.
Lots of utensils, I will list if you ask, but I sense some yawning in the gallery. I use regular flatware and dishes, fids hold them in place. Acrylic glassware.
The only thing I have yet to make use of is a Pyrex juicer. I may take that off the boat if I still don't use it by summer.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 05:49   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarico View Post
When you starting sailing/cruising what did you think you would need in your galley? Did you use it? Did you toss it? Or was there something that you wish you had taken with you but didn't? Has the way you cook changed? Just instrested in your view people. It' s that time before being able to start work on fixing up the boat as it's still too cold and windy. Thanks all.

I have a small galley, so I don't have anything that can't do three jobs -- seriously. I have one frying pan and one sauce pan. In port it's more expanded -- I have a glass convection oven and am expecting a pressure cooker any day, but I still keep it to a minimum. Not only are their storage issues, but doing dishes on a boat is a pain ... at least it is when your galley is small!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 05:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Put a quantity (lets call it "x") of dried black turtle beans in your pressure cooker. Add 8 to 10 times x of water. Dice an onion or two (depending on the size of x) and add it to the mix. Put 2 x brown rice in a stainless steel mixing bowl with 2 x water. Add a pat of butter to the rice. Put the mixing bowl in the pressure cooker with the beans, onions, and water. For one person, x is 1/4 cup. Bring the pressure cooker up to full pressure (15 psi) and cook for 40 minutes. Turn off the heat, let it cool until the pressure drops. Serve the beans on top of the rice.

Vast quantities of dried beans and brown rice weigh very little and take up little space. Their shelf life is considerable. The pressure cooker really reduces the time required to cook dried beans.

Fabbian
40 minutes is a long time Sounds like a very nice B&R recipe though.

For beans and rice (always brown rice), I use the thermal cooker. Just bring to a boil for a few minutes (after soaking beans overnight), and drop the pot into the thermal thingy. It's usually ready in an hour or two, but will stay piping hot all day without overcooking itself. 15 minutes actual cook time for either or both combined.

If I need to spice things up, I make a sauce or rouge(sp?) or stirfry something up and mix it all together.

Highly recommended! This is the one I have (but with only 1 pot), except I paid about $3 for it a thrift store

[edit] that's not it, mines only a 1L, but its a 'thermos' brand and looks the same as this one.
Old 30-12-2011, 05:58   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Our finest mistake early on was getting a 12v drip coffee maker. It drew amazing amounts of current from our battery bank, enough that after two nights at anchor, we had to use the backup bank to start the boat. Dumped it for a french press, which makes much better coffee faster, using the stove to heat up the water.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:05   #11

Boat: Sabre 425, 42 ft

Question:
My wife and I are having debate about whether to get melamine dishes with non-skid bottoms (boat dishes) or regular dishes for our 43' sailboat.
We have a big fold out table below with fids and the cockpit table is small that will require most folks to eat with a plate in their lap in the cockpit.
I am leaning for regular dishes as we are not going to be eating big meals underway anytime soon and lunches underway are sandwiches on a napkin.
Thoughts?
BoxerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:09   #12

Just got some corelle plates and bowls for xmas... I've seen these things dropped on bare tile floors without breaking (and they're cheap). Been using disposable plasticware until now. seems like the plasticware would be good for underway. Not much sitting at the table and eating underway anyway (or so I'm imagining). More probable meals will be eaten from bowls on laps
Old 30-12-2011, 06:11   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace

We too have mostly everything that was in the land kitchen. But added a vacuum sealing machine. I wasn't sure about it, so purchased the cheap one at Wal-Mart, Rival, for about $40. Works great for keeping things in the freezer. And is small. Also have an inexpensive chopper...about $10....Wal-Mart again, for ham salad, etc. Don't forget the corkscrew!
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:12   #14

God rid of non skid and all plastic... Eating on the tilt is in bowls... you hold with one hand and eat with the other. At anchor when the boat is flat you can used all the regular china dishes. We use Corning- Corelle... non breakable. Got rid of coated cookware as it's not good for you as it leeches into your food. Use the same stuff as home in the galley. Seems more civilized. Why not?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 06:25   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What do you have in your galley?

Currently a 21footer with a two burner and grill stove...
1 medium frying pan (Bacon n eggs)
1 small saucepan (baked beans etc)
1 whistling kettle
1 4L pressure cooker (curries, pot roasts, veg etc)
1 grill tray (cheese on toast, toast, more cheese on toast)
1 french press (coffee, tea etc)
1 small coffee/spice grinder/blender run of portable invertor.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley