Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 16:54   #121

Boat: Able 50
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Corned silverside is hard to find in USA and so not eaten much. Supermarkets sell it pre cooked and sliced but not raw. Corned brisket is easier to find.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:59   #122

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Downunder, with all of this talking about corned beef I have just developed a taste for it myself & am in the process of putting a piece in my pressure cooker. Mmm in 45 minutes time hot corned beef for lunch.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 17:19   #123

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Corned silverside is hard to find in USA and so not eaten much. Supermarkets sell it pre cooked and sliced but not raw. Corned brisket is easier to find.
Brisket is similar or same I think.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 17:24   #124

Boat: Able 50

Well it's similar to the extent that both cuts come from cows. You would know brisket as a corned roll or rolled roast. Silverside generally comes from the small end of the rump. That same cut is sold in USA unbrined and called a rump roast.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 17:57   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

From wikipedia:
Quote:
Silverside is boned out from the top along with the topside and thick flank. It is a 2nd class roasting joint, or may be sliced for minute steak or beef olives, or split in two to produce a salmon-cut. In most parts of the U.S., this cut is known as outside or bottom round; traditionally, a hindquarter is laid on the cutting table with the outside down or to the bottom, as opposed to the inside being on top.

In Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, silverside is the cut of choice for making corned beef, so much so that the name "silverside" is often used to refer to corned beef rather than any other form of the cut.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:52   #126

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachbolt61 View Post
I had a corelle plate drop into the steel bilge about 5 feet and not break. I was expecting bits everywhere but they work for me. Maybe your vinyl floor is harder than my steel bilge?
Smiles
Coachbolt
Most times Corelle items don't break when dropped, regardless of surface dropped upon. It is the rare time that the item explodes upon impact that is such a clean-up mess.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:55   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

About the corelle exploding, I was wondering if it could be a problem with dishes that had been microwaved, maybe a number of times?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 06:56   #128

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but the best thing I ever bought was the stern-rail propane cooker. Makes ordinary meats taste great if you marinate them overnight. We sometimes put in the marinade before we freeze the meat and then when it thaws out it is ready to go. It's also a great way to do fresh caught fish. Plus it keeps a ton of heat, smoke, and smells out of the boat when it's really hot, and it gives you a backup if for some reason the stove is out of order. In the summer in New England I would guess that about 90% of our evening meals involve something cooked on the grill.
Same with us. I am wondering how we will manage in Turkish waters where using outside grills is banned even when at anchor in many areas. I can understand not being allowed to use an outside grill in a marina but banning grill use in anchorages puzzles me.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 10:19   #129
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Same with us. I am wondering how we will manage in Turkish waters where using outside grills is banned even when at anchor in many areas. I can understand not being allowed to use an outside grill in a marina but banning grill use in anchorages puzzles me.

Judy
Just offer the officer that comes over a kebab and I'm sure it'll be okay

p.s. while in Turkey, don't forget to try the Turkish pizza's and Iskender Kebab !! (with yoghurt)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 13:31   #130

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
About the corelle exploding, I was wondering if it could be a problem with dishes that had been microwaved, maybe a number of times?
Darned if I know. I've only every microed the bowls. The plates have never been in the microwave. I suspect its just the angle at which the plate or blow hits the floor. Possibly edgewise, leaning forward or back a bit. Especially with the bowls. The side force from such a landing would be pretty high.

Most of the time I eat off a trencher, an ancient medieval thing like a plate only made out of wood. I've been using the same one for some 30 years on and off.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:28   #131

Boat: Morgan 41 Classic, Adastra

Because we have CNG, we also have quite a few electric appliances. ricer, mini electric skillet, crock pot, mini food processor, pressure cooker, coffee pot, toaster. the only one i haven't yet used is the pressure cooker.
LibLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 07:18   #132

When moving aboard, we brought most of the pans, including a pressure cooker that we use mostly as a regular pot and a cast iron pan-which can be a pain to store & clean but cooks so well. We have veggie steamer & cookie trays stacked on top pressure cooker. They are all nested into one locker in the galley.

We have accumulated most of the gadgets (albeit smaller) like rice cooker, bread maker & slow cooker that are stored under the settee in the saloon.

We used the Galleyware plates that came with the boat but gave them up for china dishes separated by non-skid to keep them from moving underway. We even have a couple wine & champagne glasses that are also circled by non-skid & nestled between plastic ones. We've been in some rough seas and they have never moved.

Then, the coffee pot & grinder, toaster, microwave & toaster oven.

It seems like a lot but it fits quite well & we would hate to do without one thing! We actually cruised with all this. It makes us able to live our normal life while still being able to sail in 10 minutes notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-367829647.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	36693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2728311436.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	36694  

Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 00:54   #133

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I love to eat and I love to cook. We have all the same Calphalon Professional cookware here as we did in the box. 1 large and 1 small frying pan, 4 saucepans, several high quality knives, a comal, a really old cast iron waffle iron, a 3 burner stove with an oven and a broiler, fridge and freezer plus a portable ice maker mixing bowls and muffin tins and spatulas, BBQ, you name it, we've got it EXCEPT for a microwave, don't need to drain the batteries that fast.
Recent meals include carnitas machaca, spaghetti with meat sauce, eggs benedict, carne asada tacos, panini. If you can think it we can cook it.
We don't drink much but we eat!
Old 21-03-2012, 00:57   #134

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Also, I can highly recommend Corelle dishes. The mugs can break but you almost can't break the plates and bowls. They save a lot of water because they're so much easier to wash than plastic.
Old 25-03-2012, 07:42   #135

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Hi Folks we live aboard our Colvic Watson 32 all year. We have all ceramic nonstick. 20cm and 24 cm frying pans, 26cm Wok, 4 lt pressure cooker stainless steel, 20cm tripple layer steamer, and of course the thing that gets most use in the winter is the halogen cooker definatly wouldnt be without it. We have a Nelson Spinflo 2 burner/oven & Grill, Brilliant. We also have a mini100 washing machine and a Creda spin dryer as we have found laundrymats very expensive. We also have a fridge/freezer and a Waeco 25lt Freezer that saves us loads as we can buy the bargains and freeze them it runs off the 32watt solar panel even in the winter in Brittany. One thing we changed is the hot water heater. It used to be a gaz one but I hate them so got a 6 lt electric one with a 750watt element which runs off our honda 1kw genny when at anchor. We got it from Surecal (ask for Mat) we have tv video player and laptop. On the sleeping side I suffer with a bad back in damp conditions so we have superinsulated the hull so NO damp now and a dunlopillo matress (6ins) hope this is helpfull.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley