Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 14:06   #91

Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Yes, that was prior to launch, but it looks pretty much the same now - there's often a loaf of bread cooling on the trivet to the right, and a tea-towel hanging on the grille handle, but other than that, all the junk fits in the cupboards.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:08   #92

Boat: a sailing boat

A bigger tea kettle.

We started with making our tea in cups but soon later found that with our tea throughput it makes plenty of sense to make our tea right in the kettle.

Many people said we should have a pressure cooker too. But we gave up on it when we saw burns on our fellow cruiser's forearms.

Otherwise, what we dragged along from our earthly lives served us well on the ship.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 14:55   #93

Boat: Tartan 30

How does a PC cause burns (that any other pot wouldn't)?
Old 23-01-2012, 15:17   #94

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
How does a PC cause burns (that any other pot wouldn't)?
Flash steam from opening the thing before the pressure is ambient. Pressure higher, vapourizing lower. Sudden decrease of pressure, sudden increase of vapour. End result, burnt (edited to add: steamed actually) arms and belly.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:22   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A bigger tea kettle.

We started with making our tea in cups but soon later found that with our tea throughput it makes plenty of sense to make our tea right in the kettle.

Many people said we should have a pressure cooker too. But we gave up on it when we saw burns on our fellow cruiser's forearms.

Otherwise, what we dragged along from our earthly lives served us well on the ship.

b.
This side of the pond we always have a Kettle and a tea pot. and a french press ( cafetiere), scald teapot with just boiling water, then tea leaves and roiling boiling water straight into tea pot

for coffee let the water go off the boil so as to not scald coffee.

Mind you the niceest cup of coffee is from an old M&S expresso unit, it doesnt seem as vicious as the italian ones. ( also big capacity).

I always liked the old gas percolators too.

dave
Old 23-01-2012, 23:26   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Flash steam from opening the thing before the pressure is ambient. Pressure higher, vapourizing lower. Sudden decrease of pressure, sudden increase of vapour. End result, burnt (edited to add: steamed actually) arms and belly.
So didn't follow the instructions then!
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 23:58   #97

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo

Got hold of one of these, in case the yearning for pizza should become unbearable;

Basically, it works like an oven. Perfect for single burner stoves, such as the Origo on board my dear Polly. Most ppl would probably use it for making fresh bread...

PS: Haven't read through all of this thread - sorry if it's been mentioned.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:06   #98

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A bigger tea kettle.

b.
Get one! A stovetop pressure cooker is one of the best things that you can have in your galley. As they cook your food so much faster than any other method they give you a big saving in the amount of fuel that you use on your stove. They are ideal for cruisers. The modern day ones are more efficient (I love my Scanpan one) and getting burnt from the steam is not a concern at all if you follow the correct procedure and open them when the pressure valve goes down - the quickest way to make this happen is to pour a little cool water over the lid - very simple. You have no risk of burning your arms if you do the right thing. This concern would be like not having a kettle on board in case you scald yourself with boiling water.

Pressure cookers blow the pants off a slow cooker either at home or especially on a boat. Why the hell do you want your meal to take 5 to 6 hours to cook in a slow cooker when you can pressure cook it in around 45 minutes & I'm talking about something like a pot roast or a piece of corned silverside?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 03:53   #99

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
How about something I don't have enough of? Soup spoons... seriously, it seems when I have company over I serve bowl food -- clam chowder, soups and such. One thing I didn't consider when stocking the boat was having enough spoons for company.
Bowl food is good. I bought a set of chinese noodle bowls and chinese spoons and chopsticks. The spoons are actually better than western soup spoons.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 03:59   #100

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
I am interested in finding out about the French Coffee Press do you use that because of saving of electricity? I have never used one before and am sure he would not be able to maneuver one of these is it hard to retrain someone? I am laughing about this...sort of like can I teach an old dog new trick...what can I use for the motivation to get him to try. I think I might like to use this even in the kitchen and want to prepare for our smaller galley. Any tricks to this process? I am a bit intimidated about the grinds.
Don't be interested, don't find out, don't pass GO either - just get one. For a boat the ones with plastic frames are better. They give the best coffee without an espresso machine.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 04:51   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post

Pressure cookers blow the pants off a slow cooker either at home or especially on a boat. Why the hell do you want your meal to take 5 to 6 hours to cook in a slow cooker when you can pressure cook it in around 45 minutes & I'm talking about something like a pot roast or a piece of corned silverside?
Because I'm doing 5-6 hours of other things anyway, might as well cook food simultaniously, as opposed to standing guard at the stove for 45 minutes. And also, 10 minutes worth of fuel vs. 45 minutes... The results are the same.
Old 24-01-2012, 04:52   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Solo View Post
Got hold of one of these, in case the yearning for pizza should become unbearable;

Basically, it works like an oven. Perfect for single burner stoves, such as the Origo on board my dear Polly. Most ppl would probably use it for making fresh bread...

PS: Haven't read through all of this thread - sorry if it's been mentioned.
hmmm.. my yearning for pizza has been growing stronger lately. please, tell me more
what is it exactly?
Old 24-01-2012, 04:56   #103

nevermind... this is close enough for me Stove Top Pizza | Recipe | Cut Out + Keep
I don't cant fit anything else in my galley anyway
Old 24-01-2012, 05:06   #104

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Because I'm doing 5-6 hours of other things anyway, might as well cook food simultaniously, as opposed to standing guard at the stove for 45 minutes. And also, 10 minutes worth of fuel vs. 45 minutes... The results are the same.
No worrries but no need to stand guard at the stove they are completely safe although apparently a lot of people are a bit scared of them. Don't understand how you can cook something for 5 - 6 hours and use 10 minutes of fuel unless I have misunderstood you. Pressure cooking for 45 minutes for a large roast is on a low stove setting using very little fuel as you turn the stove right down once the cooker comes up to pressure.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:22   #105
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Don't be interested, don't find out, don't pass GO either - just get one. For a boat the ones with plastic frames are better. They give the best coffee without an espresso machine.
When you say that you never tried the original Italian Moka Express!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda
No try. Do... or don't, there is no "try"

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley