Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 22:25   #1

Boat: Aquarius 23' Swing Keel
What are your favorite port town restaurants?

I'm not going to say that the only reason I travel is the food but it's certainly the largest part of my traveling dreams. I'd love to know, of all the Port towns in which you beautiful cruisers have blown in, what's your favorite restaurant?

Mine and my partners' sailing adventures have just begun and we're not yet close to setting out onto the winds but I'd love some daydream fodder to keep me going through these flat, Midwestern times.

So far our minimal sailing experience has afforded us one sailing town. We ate at many great restaurants in Corpus Christi TX but our absolute favorite was stumbled upon on our way to the airport. Con Sabor is a new Columbian restaurant in Corpus of the "hole in the wall" variety and is the best I've had in years. My partner and I shared a Bandeja Paisa and it was more than enough food for the two of us. When we told the server (who doesn't speak too much English) how much we loved it she brought us an extra side dish just to try. Truly incredible.
DateW.Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:19   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: What are your favorite port town restaurants?

The Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor, WA. Great food, great prices, great atmosphere and a great (free) dock. Also worth mentioning is the local chain Anthony's. Several have a free dock as well. Great food but on the expensive side.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

OH MY GOSH - which country? One of the things we have learned over the years is each country has it's own food - can I compare food in France with that in Italy with Russia or Turkey or Tunisia or Colombia or Martinque or I could keep going but you get the idea.

After 12 years underway - and hundreds if not thousands of ports we just can not name just one or for that fact more --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:10   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Too many to list, but most recently was in Portugal. Lots of great seafood there plus a few things you dont normally see on the menu elsewhere like limpets and barnacles!

Not to mention loads of other great disches, cheeses, breads, port wine...definately a food heaven.

https://cookinglisbon.com/recipes/fish/goose-barnacles/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We like Factory Kitchen in Los Angeles a lot. Crane Ramen in Jax is also a favorite. I will say we are tired of the typical marina tiki bar with the all-fried menu!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Newport RI - Black Pearl
Annapolis - Carroll's Creek
St Michael's Maryland - Ava's

Never had a bad meal in Martinique.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 13:26   #7

It's hard to judge when you've had one meal, maybe two atgiven restaurant if you really liked it. How do you know when you've only eaten at one or two restaurants in a given location? If I've only eaten at 3 restaurants in Old San Juan, how can I say any one is "The Best"?

Plus, many times, I return somewhere and the place I liked is something else. You are a rock and the food experience is the river that flows by. Enjoy what you have, when you have it. They're not all going to be gems. That is what makes me appreciate it when its good.

Plus, I try to avoid going to the same places. The next, totally awesome place might be just around the corner.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 14:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

In SE Asia, I never eat in restaurants. The best meals by far are from street stalls and hawker centers.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote