Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 13:20   #46

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: What are essential foods to bring?

Rice. It goes with everything.

Instant coffee.

Peanut butter (not available many places).

Hot Sauce...lots and lots of hot sauce.

Dry Salami (the kind that does not require refrigeration).
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 13:27   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

nob:

I've just read through El Pinguino's and SWL's lists, and was thinking you must feel overwhelmed.

Let's start over, here, remembering you have an O'Day 28. Imagine that you're about to go from Seattle to SF, offshore route.

Sit down and figure out what you could stand eating for two weeks, and think about where you're going to stow it. Bring about one onion per day. [Raw onions can be added to any canned food --except chocolate cake, imo --and will improve it.] One or 2 cloves garlic. 3-5 small jars of your favorite spices. If you don't have any, omit. Salt pepper, sugar?

For now, stick to bread that is chock full of preservatives (to eliminate the mold factor.)

You can, for now, buy granola and supplemental dried fruits. (Later on, if you really stay offshore, you'll be making your own granola; recipes online.) Use powdered skim or whole milk. Mix it with the granola, and then just add water for breakfast. [I used to do this for backpacking.]

The advice you had for beans was good. Basically, pick them over and remove any gravel. Slosh them over to rinse off dirt. Set to soak. You'll have them for dinner tomorrow. Think what you might like to add to them. Garlic and onion for starters, hot sauce of your preference (I like chilpotle). If you got some brown rice, you can soak them together, and, cooked, they make a complete protein.

Long term non fridge stowed veg and fruit: carrots, cabbage, potatoes, honeydew melons, pumpkin, onions, apples, grapefruits, navel oranges.

Eggs do not require refrigeration, nor does mayonnaise. With the mayo, always use a fresh, non-contaminated knife in it. We've been doing this since 1983 with no noticeable ill effects.

think what you want for little treats. (Is it fruit, cookies, chips, chocolate, other?)

Coffee or teas to your preference. We started with instant coffee for Jim, but soon took to grinding our own beans for it.

Since it's only a couple of weeks plus about 5 days you need to provision for on this imagined journey, you might even go to REI and get a few backpackers' meals: they make great emergency rations, when you're too tired to cook at all.

Finally, if you've never cooked before, pick your 7 favorite meals, get recipes online to try for fixing those foods--choose the simpler variations--and learn to fix 'em now. Or, which is harder, learn to fix peasant food from 7 nations, using tinned ingredients, or dried ones. Peasant foods, as Jim and I call them, tend to have less meat, more veg, and some grains or beans. These recipes will lead to the herbs and spices you want to use to vary the flavors.

Pack yourself a special treat for celebrating the completion of your first offshore trip.

For cookware, you need a small pressure cooker (maybe from Salvation Army or similar), but get a new gasket for it, and a good quality 10" skillet with a lid. Buy more as you learn what you want.

Much baking can be done with the P.C. with the gasket removed. (This leads to flour (s), yeast, sugar, and oil.) But you don't have to do it all at once. You'll become more interested in breads when you get sick of store bought and when you're where there is no store.)

Ann

on edit: we often have toast for breakfast, for that, we use a toaster for use on a camp stove. It folds flat in a large ziploc for storage.
Old 03-10-2015, 14:32   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Very interesting, some of those lists contain items I've never even heard of. One item I noted missing was either beef or chicken bullion or the liquid concentrate. A bit added to the water for rice and even pasta can help. We also carry fresh peppercorns that go into a small pepper mill. Finally, my favorite treat is olives stuffed with jalapeño. Great in martinis or Bloody Mary's or just a snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 14:59   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

One of the oddball things that we've come to keep aboard is small pearl tapioca. Lasts forever and makes a really good (not too sweet) dessert with almond milk, dry milk, soy milk...pretty much anything.

Old 03-10-2015, 15:03   #50

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Ok, great advice all. You're right, I don't like to cook on a boat. But one of my hobbies in a house is cooking. I've cooked so many great and exotic recipes. Boats are just hard. I always have a small single person boat and the galley sucks. Doing dishes is a chore. I have limited experience. I am gearing up for my first offshore passage and my first priority is to stay healthy, get dirty stuff to a minimum I um, and time spent cooking to a minimum.

So far what I have on board is:
About 100 energy bars, always the healthy organic kind.
Dried:
Apricots, mangos, coconut, goji berries, apples, papaya, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, bananas.

3 2 lb. bags basmati rice
2 2 lb bags lentils

20 cans fish(need more)

Spices in jars

About 20 lb granola

8 containers soy milk
Bag dehydrated milk

Six bags coffee
50 cans of pre made coffee(if it's rough weather and I can't make it, coffee is a necessity

Kale chips
Potato chips

Big box oats

3 peanut butter
Almond butter
3 jars honey

3 packs noodles
3 boxes gluten free Mac and cheese
3 bags dried tortellini
8 boxes couscous with spice packs

2 bottles olive oil

5 lb. Trail mix.

8 bars chocolate
2 boxes shortbread cookies
8 things of licorice
50 fruit leather strips

Pecans
Almonds
Walnuts
Cashews
Macadamia nuts

Green powder, it's like dried grasses to add to drinks.

And some random stuff I forgot.

But you see it is mostly snack stuff, not really beans, onions, spices, stuff you cook.

I have a magna grill on the back, I would like to do most of my cooking with . Do we have a link to a thread about that?
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 15:23   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You can make good cooked vegs on the barbecue, clean, spray with oil and BBQ. But this will not work on a trip from Seattle to SF. Seas too big for them to stay on BBQ. Could try packing the veg into heavy duty aluminum foil packets with a light spray of oil and seasonings of your choice, and doing them on the BBQ. We have a BBQ, but it is never used on passages.

We usually cook ahead, freeze the meals in one meal packets, and use as needed. But it isn't enough for a two week plus safety margin passage.

If you have no stove at all, get a sea swing, single burner propane powered one. You can boil water and use backpackers' foods. Very little actual cooking. Not culinarily rewarding, but there's time for that later on. It will only accept a tiny pot, so measure first.

Here's a grain of salt behind this, though, I once seriously considered pemmican for two whole weeks backpacking. It was about getting nourishment, not enjoying food.

You'll be ready for a nice, cooked meal at the end of the time, for sure.

Ann
Old 03-10-2015, 16:09   #52

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
You mean, Like Water for Chocolate?
Sorry. I couldn't help it although somewhat serious.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 16:32   #53
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

While not underway but at anchor I once prepared prime rib, Yorkshire pudding and a couple of side dishes.

I place emphasis on once. It turned out great but there wasn't a clean pot or dish on board afterwards. Quote the raven never more.

On the other hand, I've made "Country Apple Pork Roast" with bourbon flambé sweet potatoes. The pork roast was done in the pressure cooker.

I'd suggest a couple of stainless thermos bottles. Store hot water in them and you're good for coffee, tea, instant soups or MRES.

I also have a single burner, 4 way gimbaled stove that at least lets me heat water in very rough conditions. I believe it's a Forespar.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 16:44   #54

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Our favorite go to lunch when we're working in the boat yard or forgot to prepare something the night before, put some canned black beans on top of a little brown rice and some Pace picante sauce on top. It doesn't even have to be warmed and it's still good. (When working in the boat yard we set our Pyrex bowls with plastic lids on the dash of the truck and let the sun heat our lunch through the window. You could make a bag to do the same out of some black vinyl and clear window plastic. Let the sun heat your lunch on deck underway.)

Do the rice in your pressure cooker using SeaWorthy Lass' method of bringing the pot to pressure then turning off the heat and letting the pot do the rest of the cooking. We had an Origo 4100 stove in our CD-28. Is that what you have? if so, use the potholder with your pressure cooker and you should be okay. Cook enough rice for a few meals. It won't go bad in the course of 24 hours even unrefrigerated. Put a variety of beans or other canned veggies, or even canned soup over it. Use your spices. Even eaten cold these foods can be tasty and better nutrition than living on dried fruit, granola bars, and cookies which is too much sugar anyway.
Old 03-10-2015, 16:58   #55

A note on eggs not needing refrigeration. Farm fresh eggs that have never been refrigerated tend to keep better than eggs from piggly wiggly that have been refrigerated.

My last boat had no fridge or cooking appliances and I lived aboard full time year round. Lots of cheese, salami and chips and hummus. Some times, if a lady came over they would bring a vegetable and make me eat it (I ended up marrying one of the vegetable pushers).

Experiment, start with volume so you don't starve. Aside from that it will be a great learning experience.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:07   #56

Boat: Cape Dory 28

It had originally come with an Origo 4100 but the previous took it out and not there is a hole that I am using for food storage.

I only have one of those small backpackers stoves that are super tiny and screw onto the top of a can of fuel and the manga grill.

Of course I have it in my budget to get a new stove what do you recommend?
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:43   #57

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It had originally come with an Origo 4100 but the previous took it out and not there is a hole that I am using for food storage.

I only have one of those small backpackers stoves that are super tiny and screw onto the top of a can of fuel and the manga grill.

Of course I have it in my budget to get a new stove what do you recommend?
I loved my Origo on my CD-28. It's easy to use, requires virtually no maintenance beyond filling the canisters and keeping it clean, works every time, and is perfectly safe as long as you don't spill alcohol all over the boat and set it on fire. I always filled my canisters outside, and never, ever fill one when it's hot. I think they cook as well as anything else. A lot of people point out that they are cooler and cook slower. I've never timed how long it took to boil or cook anything. When I am on my boat I am on my own time and don't care about such things. People also say alcohol is hard to get in some areas. Maybe, but I have enough storage space to carry a year's worth of fuel if I needed to and I don't ever expect to need to. (I have also heard similar stories of difficulty filling propane tanks in some places. Six of one, half dozen of another.)

We just removed the propane system from our CD-33 and we are putting in another Origo, this time the 3000 model with the gimbals. A lot of people swear by them. A lot of other people wouldn't be caught dead with one on their boat. I think they fall into that category of things you either hate or love. I happen to really like them.

You can often find them on eBay for a decent price and you already have the hole cut for it. I just ordered mine from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. They had the best price on a new one.
Old 03-10-2015, 21:05   #58

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow you hit the jackpot on this thread! Compile all the lists for us! Personally I think you'll end up back at propane. And I am with you, I generally avoid rice and pasta, they need a lot of fuel. There are other starches that cook faster or using a pressure cooker for the rice is a good idea. I posted on another thread that I really like white onions in lime juice as a topping or marinade and fresh onions and limes last for a while. In fact there are other salsa recipes that last a while. I hear tequila makes a good preservative (at least for worms?). I think you can eat well without refrigeration or using too much fuel.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 22:15   #59

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Very interesting, some of those lists contain items I've never even heard of. One item I noted missing was either beef or chicken bullion or the liquid concentrate. A bit added to the water for rice and even pasta can help. We also carry fresh peppercorns that go into a small pepper mill. Finally, my favorite treat is olives stuffed with jalapeño. Great in martinis or Bloody Mary's or just a snack.
Known hereabouts ( I think we mean the same stuff) as 'stock' ....comes in cubes, powder, or liquid form.
Old 03-10-2015, 22:20   #60

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I carry rice and pasta but tend to use spuds the most.

Have even been known to use 'instant spud' in fish pies... the modern stuff isn't too bad.

Agree re hot sauces being essential.....

Tags
food