Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 09:11   #1

Watermaker

We just purchased a 2001 Selene Solo, 43ft long. We plan in the future to travel quite a bit in the Caribbean as well as up and down the East Coast plus Great Loop.
Boat has an old Village Marine Tec Reverse Osmosis Water maker -- 450gpd -- that is not serviceable -- previous owner had decided to replace with new type/brand water maker based on high cost to repair, plus old tech, etc.
So my questions are:
- Thoughts recommendations for a similar size or smaller water maker?
- Do we need one -- should I convert the old water maker space to something more useful -- like a wine refrigerator, etc.
Thanks for any and all thoughts and ideas!
Cerulean Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Watermaker

It's very convenient to have plenty of fresh water.
I'd look at: https://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/water-makers/
Their watermakers are component parts, meaning the various pieces don't have to be in one place. Just tied together by plumbing. They use standard membranes and filters that are easy to find in far away places.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:33   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Is this the cheapest?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 13:16   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Is this the cheapest?
Not even close
Old 05-11-2020, 13:58   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

What do you mean by non-servicable. There really isn't all that much to a village Marine water maker. I helped a friend of mine with his and it was a very simple minded machine. His was engine driven, but it simply consisted of a Cat pump with a automobile style electric air conditioner clutch, a small centrifugal boost pump, a couple of prefilters, the membrane and housing, a pressure regulating valve and a pressure gauge. There were also a sea cock and a diverter valve for tank and waste water and an alternate pickup for flushing. The only parts likely to go bad are the pumps and membrane. Cat Pumps can be rebuilt pretty easily and if it's totally shot can be replaced for less than a B.O.A.T buck. If it's AC electrically driven the motor might cost you a few hundred more depending on the quality you buy. I don't think any of their 12vmodels got to 20gph. The prefilters are maintenance items and a standard membrane can be had for a few hundred depending on which model you have.

To answer your actual question, If you are going for a simple dependable watermaker that you can maintain yourself You probably can't do much better than CruiseRO(see post 2 for the link). Remember on a cruising boat KISS is a very important rule. The number one rule of cruising is " Something Breaks Every Day!" the more complex, the more that can break. I doubt you'll need a water maker for the great loop, but for the Bahamas and Caribbean one allows you to get off the beaten path and not have to worry about getting to a port for water. I would suggest that you not go any smaller than you have or you spend too much time baby sitting your water maker. I started with a 6.7gph model and went to a 30gph model and will never go back. I have plenty of room so I left the 12v model in the boat. I did have to use it once when my genset died so it was worth leaving it in. Having traveled the east coast and the Bahamas for 8 years both with and without the water makers, I would not go without one. I now have enough solar to run the 12v about 6 hours per day and still have my batteries full at the end of the day so the problem is not power usage. Before I upgraded my solar I had to run the genset every other day for a couple of hours for battery charging so I did have a bit of a power issue. Now I only run the generator for water making, but because I know only run it for about 3 hours every 4 or 5 days I find that I run out of hot water when at anchor for a while. Unintended consequences!

In part the decision on a water maker depends a lot on your cruising style and how many people you have on board. I assume at least 2 since you said we. If you are a marina cruiser spending the night in a marina almost every night, then a water maker is probably a waste. If you like to get away and spend weeks at a time at anchor then a water maker is invaluable. Along the east coast, unless you have a good supply of prefilters it's pretty difficult to use a water maker while inside (ICW and Chesapeake e.g).
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 14:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

How large is the boat? If you plan extended time in the Caribbean then your decision may be based on how long you can operate between dock visits for filling your tanks and whether you prefer to avoid docking. You can buy a lot of water for the cost of a new or serviced watermaker, even at Caribbean water prices. If you want to be independent of the dock, marinas and all inclusive harbors, that is a lifestyle decision. We like anchoring out, avoiding docking and remote anchorages. We have a Spectra. BTW, gave up on the Village Marine WM two years ago. Put a lot into it and never got it to work.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 17:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
How large is the boat? If you plan extended time in the Caribbean then your decision may be based on how long you can operate between dock visits for filling your tanks and whether you prefer to avoid docking. You can buy a lot of water for the cost of a new or serviced watermaker, even at Caribbean water prices. If you want to be independent of the dock, marinas and all inclusive harbors, that is a lifestyle decision. We like anchoring out, avoiding docking and remote anchorages. We have a Spectra. BTW, gave up on the Village Marine WM two years ago. Put a lot into it and never got it to work.

The Selene Solo is a trawler and as far as I know all have gensets. Paying all the extra money a Spectra to be energy efficient at 12V is pretty much a waste. They would be much better off with a cheaper 120v system such as a CruiseRO and produce a lot more water.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:38   #8

Apologies for some bad advice. I posted that a Cat pump could be had for less than a B.O.A.T buck which was based on a price I saw quoted from the dealer that I purchased one from. Last I looked, which was about a year ago the price was about $830. Stupid me thinking inflation was low, so below $1000 was a reasonable estimate. Boy was I wrong! I looked a few minutes ago after receiving an email from them advertising a sale. The current price is $1650. It would be interesting to know why the price doubled since last year.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:02   #9

I can't imagine cruising the Caribbean for any length of time without a water maker. The bareboat that I usually charter in the carribean, has a water maker and boy is it nice. Guests use all the water and overnight I have it replaced. Guests do the dishes running the sink water, and overnight I had it replaced. etc etc. Long showers? sure why not, even on the transom after a quick swim
Bareboating with the moorings and I had to constantly watch peoples use of water or be willing to head back to the docks. I would never own a boat without a water maker for any sailing over a few days.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 14:39   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

So I see $4,000 as the lowest price for a complete system.

Village marine, cruiseRO.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 16:51   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Seawater Pro for an AC system

Schenker for a DC*

*even though i have a Spectra that i got used
Old 06-11-2020, 21:56   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have an echotec watermaker and love it. highly recommend

and they are based in trinidad so easy access if you are in the caribbean

https://www.echotecwatermakers.com/r...atermakers.htm

cheers,
Old 28-11-2020, 06:55   #13

All -- Thanks for your replies. Our boat is a 43ft Selene Solo and we will be cruising the Carribbean - that is primarily where we will need the water maker. I am researching the recommendations above and will be purchasing probably a year from now.
Old 28-11-2020, 07:00   #14

To Captain Bill -- Thanks for your replies -- the main reason the current water maker is unserviceable has to do probably with a previous owner trying to repair it himself -- and among several issues, the CAT pump is bad/broken. The watermaker has been removed from the boat and sat in pieces (not all the pieces in a box for some time. Cost to repair is too much to make it worthwhile.

Tags
water, watermaker