Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 09:13   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Water Consumption

The two of us use about 10 gal/day.

Raw water head. Everything else is fresh.
Old 20-10-2011, 09:26   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Of course it depends on how you use your fresh water. We shower every day and wash the dishes once a day, all fresh water. We have two 60 gallon tanks and a tank usually lasts nine days. So the two of us use about 7 gallons a day. We do not have a watermaker as good water is readily available in the Bahamas if you know where to get it.
Old 20-10-2011, 09:33   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my 120 gallons in my tanks lasts very long time--i save water by using salt water for my bathing with fresh water rinses from a solar shower bag. 7 gallons a day each is a lot of water consumption.....especially when there is a long passage upcoming and dubious water availability..... i have a filter now for filling tanks--- but my next step will be a watermaker--when i can find one for low bux.....and an under sink filter for drinking the fresh made water from tanks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:13   #19

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

My tankage is 50 gallons... without any conservation it lasts one week. When on the hook, using minimal conservation two weeks. That includes fresh water showers (long hair, shampoo nearly every day) and I don't drink bottled water, though I have gotten on juice kicks occassionally. Living aboard is about enjoyment, and frankly too much frugality simply would not work for me. I'm spoilt and can't see a reason not to be at this point in my life. I'm worth it!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
My tankage is 50 gallons... without any conservation it lasts one week. When on the hook, using minimal conservation two weeks. That includes fresh water showers (long hair, shampoo nearly every day) and I don't drink bottled water, though I have gotten on juice kicks occassionally. Living aboard is about enjoyment, and frankly too much frugality simply would not work for me. I'm spoilt and can't see a reason not to be at this point in my life. I'm worth it!
oh.... boy. ... Not sure I would call 50 gal per week being spoiled. In the 80's my wife and i got by on about 45 gal per week being quite conservative. Jerry jugging from shore in Baja.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:57   #21

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

The two of us do well on 10 gal per day if we conserve.
Old 21-10-2011, 05:26   #22

Using raw water when you can in moderate temperatures you can get by on <1 gallon per day per person when cruising. Canned foods can reduce this amount. Medically, survivability requires 2 quarts to maintain bodily function. 1 quart will keep you alive but you body will suffering. After 25+ years of "making do", adding tanks, time wasted monitoring people and tanks (oh and lugging 5 gallons at time in the dingy) we installed a water maker. When cruising we probably use 5 gallons on average per day now but rarely worry about having enough water. Our system isn't big but produces 15 gph with 150 gallons of tankage. Personally I was so sold on this technology we also purchased a Katadyn 35 hand desalinator. Mind you, it takes a few hours to get enough water to run the washing machine.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:39   #23

Yeah, watermakers have changed cruising a lot. Mine made ~25 GPH, so whenever I charged the batteries or motored I was making lots of water. Best thing you can do with a watermaker is keep using it too. Reverse Osmosis water is the only water I like the taste of. I never drink water from a house tap. I'm sure my body is used to living in a constant state of dehydration, but been this way for 60 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 10:40   #24

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I have a 90 gal main tank and 20 gal working tank that is filled by a 4-5 gal/hr water maker which I run daily for 3-5 hours, when the working tank is empty the water for the day is gone except for drinking which is normally 2 gals in a plumbed in tank in the refer. If I can’t keep up with the water use in the working tank the crew, only 1 or 2 others gets the speech. I have the 90 in reserve should I lose the water maker off shore, I like making water all the time as the system stays happier this way and I can make it when the sun shines or wind blows. So up to 20 gal per day.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:54   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Damn - and I am thinking I'm struggling at 50 gal / day (200 Ltrs) ????
Washing machine, showers and rinsing the boat down takes quite a bit ....
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 16:13   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Damn - and I am thinking I'm struggling at 50 gal / day (200 Ltrs) ????
Washing machine, showers and rinsing the boat down takes quite a bit ....
Yeah, I love it when a mega-yacht comes into the anchorage and the crew starts washing down with fresh water!!
Old 22-10-2011, 12:03   #27

Never really thought about it, but I really don't drink much of anything unless I go to the pub for beer, guess I get a months worth of water then if I have to have 2 quarts a day. Last time I drank water was at a resturant and drank half a glass.

I have coffee in the AM, small glass of tea with food, probably like 8 oz. Hardley ever drink pop/sodas. In the summer I'll go for lemonaid or bud light.

Last time I went camping for 3 days I took a 10 gal jug of water, I never opened it, but the beer was cold.

When I use to be athletic and very active, I drank water and lots of it, but not now. A US gallon could last me a long time for drinking water.
Yes, even without beer.
Guess my veggies have water in them too.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 12:48   #28
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Donradcliffe makes a good point about whether fresh water is used for flushing. Makes a big difference. In remote areas where one can draw clean salt water, fresh water use is far less than when in dirty harbors. Salt water pumps used to be common in galleys. Anyone use them any more?
Old 22-10-2011, 12:56   #29
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

We have three mindsets, deeply ingrained and instantly understood. We are either on "long" water rations (no limits), short water rations ( reaonsably careful) or short-short (drinking water only). One my my big bugaboos is pasta, which requires lots of water. Many other foods absorb all their cooking water so, when on short-short rations I favor rice, couscous, potatoes cooked in very little water thanks to waterless cookware, etc.
Old 22-10-2011, 13:22   #30

We shower every day, wash dishes in fresh water, do laundry every week -10 days. With two on board we use around 30-40 litres per day. If it's sunny our watermaker can replace that running alternate days just on solar power. (590 watts)

The days we don't make water we make bread. (Electric breadmaker)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumption, water