Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What is wash day like for you?
We use a laundromat for most of our wash 15 39.47%
We have a washing machine aboard and use it often 13 34.21%
We have a washing machine aboard but still use laundromats 2 5.26%
We do a good deal of laundry in the sink or a container 13 34.21%
Most of our clothes and linens are natural fiber 8 21.05%
Most of our clothes and linens are synthetic 3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 14:10   #31

Re: Wash Day

I am fairly certain that my wife would want a laundry solution if we are going to spend significant time away. A washer/dryer combo is probably the minimum for us.

My uncle who spent about five years cruising FL and the Bahamas also highly recommend an onboard washer and dryer. He said it would have made life a lot easier and more enjoyable.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 14:23   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I can certainly see getting a wringer. But at $160 for a stainless one, it still hasn’t risen to a level yet to beat out wringing by hand... but it’s close! Especially for towels. But the crew needs something to do anyway.
Btw the tip about having locals do it was definitely true for me when I was out there. Wow, it came back folded, crisp and smelling great! And made some nice friends along the way.
I'm flying with the idea of a salad spinner they come in all sizes from a half gallon bowl to a 5 gallon bucket
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cho...IaAstGEALw_wcB

Buckets are multipurpose.
Old 12-03-2019, 14:28   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
. . . If I had a much larger boat, and a much larger pocketbook, I’d certainly consider a washer on board. I’m sure they work great. But cruising, especially on a budget, is about making choices. A washer/dryer is one of those items that is easy to do without...

With a bigger boat, it's important to have labor saving devices like washers and dryers so that you don't spend so much time doing stuff like washing and drying clothes, that you are short of time to maintain and repair all the systems on board.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 14:54   #34

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We used a bucket and plunger most of the time but would sometimes use a laundromat or laundry service if convenient and not too expensive. We had huge problems getting sturdy plungers - the old-fashioned dark red, rubber ones. Most of the ones you can by are el cheapo Chinese junk (to mix my nations there). Found a decent one in Cape Town once. When I got back to the boat (in Simonstown for those who know the area) I was stepping from the dock to deck and it fell out of the back pack and into the harbour. Who would have thought it would not float. Another trip to downtown the next day. Not a lost cause though since it is a neat place to explore.
Old 12-03-2019, 14:56   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Here in the tropics we dont go thru a lot of clothing, we do "tactical" laundry in a bucket and find a laundry service ashore for anything more. In fact, we dont have a machine at home ashore either...at Central American rates, we just drop it off to be washed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:08   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
With a bigger boat, it's important to have labor saving devices like washers and dryers so that you don't spend so much time doing stuff like washing and drying clothes, that you are short of time to maintain and repair all the systems on board.

So interesting to see what tasks are considered “drudgery”. Unless you’re paying people to do everything, then the cruising life is full of necessary tasks. They range from difficult and boring, to easy and stimulating. Doing laundry is a pretty easy task. Maybe it’s not the most stimulating job, but it’s not a big deal. It just takes time, and a little effort.
Old 12-03-2019, 16:43   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

You are right Mike

One of the things I love about Filipinos is their simple belief that traditional hand washing is the best .....even if a washing machine is available.

At our home in Subic, they only used it for sheets and towels.

Now that we are back living on board, Zaida and her sister are very content to hand wash twice a week under the Bimini.

Since they grew up carrying water or washing clothes by the river...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0040.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	187872

A washing machine is not wanted and wash day is a social event.

By the way, that photo is at Banton Island in the Visayas.
The stream is hot volcanic water (not sulfurous) and the ladies felt they had won the lottery"[emoji4]
Great diving there near some vent tubes
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 16:57   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In the little village where I lived for many years in Guatemala the locals all washed clothes, and bathed, in the river. When the village got electricity just a few years ago a washing machine was a popular first purchase. I was going to buy one too, but my caretaker's wife beat me too...that saved me the trouble, she just did our laundry in her machine and I never bought one.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:25   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

So interesting to see what tasks are considered “drudgery”. Unless you’re paying people to do everything, then the cruising life is full of necessary tasks. They range from difficult and boring, to easy and stimulating. Doing laundry is a pretty easy task. Maybe it’s not the most stimulating job, but it’s not a big deal. It just takes time, and a little effort.

Indeed. That was intended as a joke at my own expense, a bittersweet recognition that our yachts full of labor-saving devices are very labor-intensive to maintain.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 06:52   #40

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I’m kind of new to the cruising life but it’s funny to read this... I’m currently traveling up and down south Florida and the Bahamas. Concentrating on getting used to the boat, lifestyle, sailing and fixing/updating everything. So two issues I have are time and money. Laundry takes both as does ice and water (am I the only one who drinks the melted ice? Another story) anyway conserving and reusing water onboard for laundry would be awesome, I already make full use of my clothes before washing... and will be looking at the refrigeration soon. Onboard laundry at this point would have to be dependent on my water supply even if I did it manually. It hasent rained much since I started cruising...

P.s. fabreze works wonders even on the most stubborn stains...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 07:21   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Indeed. That was intended as a joke at my own expense, a bittersweet recognition that our yachts full of labor-saving devices are very labor-intensive to maintain.
So which takes longer, hand washing or maintaining a washing machine, dryer and the generator to power it all?

As my best man said to me just before we went into the church, you can't be happy all your life
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 08:07   #42

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So which takes longer, hand washing or maintaining a washing machine, dryer and the generator to power it all?

As my best man said to me just before we went into the church, you can't be happy all your life
So true… My comments were really sparked by a few earlier posters who were saying laundry was hard boring work, or who said they would never leave without a washing machine. I just find it interesting to see what people view as unacceptable labour, hence needing a labour-saving device.

This life is full of tasks that are interesting and boring, easy and hard. It’s just life.
Old 13-03-2019, 09:42   #43

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Make things easier by using nylon fabric wherever possible. Easy to make items with a cheap sewing machine and serger. Cotton takes forever to dry.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:50   #44

Boat: Nauticat 32

LG Sidelick: This is genius! Tell me more about this sidekick install. I just look and it appears as if those are for “under big machine” bases. So you just took it out of the case and installed it in a locker?
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:50   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i wear natural fiber clothing due to allergies ... i wash my clothes in a small semiautomatic washer, wring on my shrouds. i used to send clothing to a flap n fold until missing items became more pricey, then i bought this lil machine. i love it. i can stash it in my shower for underway, and save not only money but clothing which also saves dough.
before going for the semiauto, i used wonder wash-- was not helpful, as cranking needed to be done same length of time as a regular washing machine cranks laundries.. much work. bucket fail due to hand fail...if i feel like it i may buy the secadora to use instead of my shrouds for wringing clothes. ..
ice machine?? i donot use ice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote