Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 15:41   #46

Re: Vegetarian Cruising

And now we return to our scheduled programming....

Consider trying Indian food. Dals, which are lentils, are very good and good for you. Ghee has been mentioned. You can wake about anything up with a good garam masala. here's my thread on the subject

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-78314.html
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 15:52   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I often cook up jasmine rice, with lentils and veggies and green curry to boot. It's cheap, delicious and keeps well for a week in the fridge. Thanx for the thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 00:04   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Some times an illustration makes the point more succinctly than a plethora of verbiage.

Old 17-05-2012, 06:23   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

picture is worth a thousand words.

those interested in sailing and finding vegetarian foods dont have to worry--veggies and beans and lentils and such are all readily available in cruising ports. they are the staples of the local diets and kept on shelves in both the tiendas and the supermarkets. same with herbs and spices.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:28   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I would prefer to eat Nigella
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 06:40   #51

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Some times an illustration makes the point more succinctly than a plethora of verbiage.

LOL! Good post. Well maybe zeehag was right -- about genetics (or maybe cosmetic surgery) being important. . It would be interesting to show a cross section of their arteries.

How about comparing Nigellea to this lady Mimi Kirk (World's Sexiest Vegan) 71-year old talking about her RAW FOOD DIET - YouTube
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:00   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
It would be interesting to show a cross section of their arteries.
Exactly!...Lets face it...People hate change. Especially the ones here that have to be right and an authority about everything they talk about.
I guess with anything in life, you have to experience for yourself both sides of every topic. If you ate meat and later were a vegetarian, then you have a better grasp for yourself what is best. If you have had a wood and then Aluminum spar, you have a better feeling on what works for you.
I don't know why it is that people become so fearful that they feel people are trying to take something away from them and become ridiculous with their stand on everything. I experience this a lot with smokers. Having been one once upon a time, I remember thinking it was them against us. It's just fear. Live and let live.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-05-2012, 07:28   #53

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Exactly!...Lets face it...People hate change. Especially the ones here that have to be right and an authority about everything they talk about.
I guess with anything in life, you have to experience for yourself both sides of every topic. If you ate meat and later were a vegetarian, then you have a better grasp for yourself what is best. If you have had a wood and then Aluminum spar, you have a better feeling on what works for you.
I don't know why it is that people become so fearful that they feel people are trying to take something away from them and become ridiculous with their stand on everything. I experience this a lot with smokers. Having been one once upon a time, I remember thinking it was them against us. It's just fear. Live and let live.
You're right -- and it's also that people have strong belief systems about food -- we've all been educated about nutrition from people we respect, and we have well established eating habits. It's like saying "there is no xxx" or "the earth is flat" or "there should be gay marriage" -- you're going to offend someone who has strong faith and beliefs, and they're going to defend them even though their proof is based on dogma and subjective experience, until such time as that belief becomes generally accepted by the great masses of society.

We also have foods we love and don't want to give up. When I changed my diet, eliminating dairy and meat meant eliminating 95% of the Italian and Mexican dishes I love. It also meant learning to use spices that were unfamiliar to our family roots, so we could enjoy a plant-based diet without having to feel like we're eating cardboard. Now we cook a lot of Asian and Indian dishes, and have modified certain other dishes so they still taste good. (I'm opening a lot of eyes/minds in my office, where some people have smelled the lunches I bring and asked for recipes). It's not easy to change, but if there's a good reason why not? There are many good reasons, and it all comes down to wanting to stay healthy and stay off medications as long as possible.

Many of us are coming to realize that our conventional Western diet just isn't healthy. Processed foods and sugars (including corn syrup) aren't healthy. Fried foods aren't healthy. Meats aren't healthy. Cows milk and cheese isn't healthy. Do you get nutrition from them? YES, but there are healthier alternatives that don't have the same down-sides.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 07:28   #54

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll match my body fat / strength / mile time / blood work against anyone who's a pure vegetarian in my age group.
The notion that one must eat red meat, to be fit & strong, and vegetarians are usually weaker, is patently ridiculous.

These photos cover several decades of my "no red meat" counter culture, hippy dippy cruising life, starting with the first one, as a state champion weight lifting teenager, after swimming 3 miles across the lake & back, and showing off for my sister.

As I get close to "the top of the hill", 42 years later, my blood work still comes back normal, I'm only a bit over weight, and although I have an accumulation of old injuries from a lifetime as an adventurer, I'm still the strongest person that I know "personally". (I too am speaking, pound for pound).

Most "skinny" vegetarians, are that way because they don't work out, not because of their diet. Even the skinny ones are usually more fit in running, walking, swimming, working, rowing, etc... Less toxins in the body, and less baggage!

Eating red meat, only in moderation, if at all, and avoiding all of the saturated fat & fast food crap that is out there, especially sodas, combined with a lifetime of regular exercise, is the best thing we can do toward a physically active old age. I'm still doing my best at it...

Genetics is a huge part too, but irrelevant to the discussion, as is anything else that is past, and beyond our control.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001_1 (3).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	41126   Click image for larger version

Name:	004_4 (3).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	41127  

Name:	006_6 (2).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	41128   Click image for larger version

Name:	008_8.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	41129  

Name:	010_10.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	41130   Click image for larger version

Name:	006_6_00.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	41131  

Old 17-05-2012, 07:42   #55
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I think the reason that there's a strong reaction, with counter-arguments against vegetarianism or veganism, is the same reason we see the pitched battles in the anchor, gun, pirate, and HF radio threads. Any time someone makes a post strongly advocating one position or another on a topic where people are emotionally invested, there's going to be another who has the opposite strongly-held position.

Strong advocacy begets strong counter-advocacy.
Old 17-05-2012, 07:53   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i believe the op asked if there was a possibility if finding vegetarian foods while underway--the answer to the op's question is yes. there are other cruisers also sailing AS VEGETARIANS. NO PROBLEM.

funny--the vegans who docked next to me were incredibly skinny DESPITE daily workouts. go figger.also hair and skin looked and felt malnourished. to each his or her own.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 08:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I think the reason that there's a strong reaction, with counter-arguments against vegetarianism or veganism, is the same reason we see the pitched battles in the anchor, gun, pirate, and HF radio threads. Any time someone makes a post strongly advocating one position or another on a topic where people are emotionally invested, there's going to be another who has the opposite strongly-held position.

Strong advocacy begets strong counter-advocacy.
The only holes, Hud, I will poke in this theory is that people who have lived both sides of a topic (been a carnivore and vegetarian) have more data to make their conclusions.
Old 17-05-2012, 08:19   #58
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

True, but that doesn't keep them from being strongly opinionated advocates. It's very difficult for someone who's become emotionally invested in a lifestyle choice to be truly objective, even if he's seen both sides of the coin.
Old 17-05-2012, 08:20   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

funny--the vegans who docked next to me were incredibly skinny DESPITE daily workouts. go figger.also hair and skin looked and felt malnourished. to each his or her own.
Then you must be a meat eating goddess...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LionMirror.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	41135  
Old 18-05-2012, 12:37   #60
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Just some random thoughts. One of my favorite vegetables is cabbage because you can throw it in a cool, dry corner for weeks. Never cut through the head. Peel off and discard spoiled leaves until you find healthy leaves, then peel away only as many as you need. Finely chopped cabbage is good raw, of course, and chopped cabbage is s great in soups. Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) is inexpensive and good for making "pumpkin" soup. Some people on this forum are in lands where fresh fruits and vegetables are abundant and cheap. Others have enough money to buy what they want. However there are many other wonderful cruising areas (such as Alaska or Turks & Caicos) where food is costly, produce scarce, and one might rely more on stowed provisions. Have you explored all the sprouting possibilities? There are a bazillion. Coconuts are free in many areas and entire civilizations have lived on them but they are bulky and a lot of work.