Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 17:28   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel

In the past you might have been able to purchase home heating oil to burn, but I'm pretty sure New York State now requires it to be ULS also. How about talking to Dickinson about converting it to propane?
Old 17-11-2012, 17:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
In the past you might have been able to purchase home heating oil to burn, but I'm pretty sure New York State now requires it to be ULS also. How about talking to Dickinson about converting it to propane?
I was thinking separate tank and kero myself. I don't really need a heater where I'm located. I would probably go with an Espar if I did.

James L
Old 17-11-2012, 17:40   #18

Good point about kerosene. What does Dickinson say about burning that? It is readily available around here at many gas stations (upstate NY).
Old 17-11-2012, 17:42   #19

Take a look here, which seems to indicate that New York's home heating oil is now less than 15 ppm sulfur. Reading around a bit, I'm pretty sure our kerosene is now ULS also.
Old 17-11-2012, 17:53   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Kettlewell, you are right. It doesn't just indicate it states it flat out.

I understand that heating oil may be a blend of kerosene and diesel fuel. Kerosene has a lower BTU output than heating oil, although not by much (about 3,000 btu per gal). Kerosene burns much cleaner.

I deleted my previous post.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 20:35   #21

Boat: islandpacket
I have not tried an hour between settings. But it does take quite awhile to adjust. Little up a little down. It changes so fast it is easy to over heat. If I remember right it also states to use under constant supervision, someone has to stay awake while it is running.
Old 19-11-2012, 12:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I absolutely fault Dickinson for not informing me that the stove does not perform to specification with the ULSD. Once again they have known about this issue for some time and if they are selling into the US marketplace knowing full well that the stoves won't make the advertised BTU levels that ammounts to false advertising.
Yes shame on Dickinson for changing the diesel refining requirement regulations in the US and not telling anybody .
ptboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 17:49   #23

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptboater View Post
Yes shame on Dickinson for changing the diesel refining requirement regulations in the US and not telling anybody .
Just a plain stupid remark, as well as missing the point completely. Do you think the comapny if they know their equipment is not performing with a specific fuel has an obligation to let the customer know in advance?
Old 19-11-2012, 18:40   #24

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

cburger, are you positive that the ULSD is making your stove malfunction? Can you rig a small tank and test some Kerosene through it to try? Do you run you engine much in the winter anyway? MAybe you can tank up on K1 and switch back to diesel in spring, if it is in fact the ULSD that's responsible.

propellantech, I'm running B20 in my VW with a pumpe duse engine. I run common rail Deeres at the farm with B99 and runs fine. Aside from warranty issues, hoses and seals, and water, I'm not quite sure I understand why a VW won't run on the fuels you noted.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
cburger, are you positive that the ULSD is making your stove malfunction? Can you rig a small tank and test some Kerosene through it to try? Do you run you engine much in the winter anyway? MAybe you can tank up on K1 and switch back to diesel in spring, if it is in fact the ULSD that's responsible.

propellantech, I'm running B20 in my VW with a pumpe duse engine. I run common rail Deeres at the farm with B99 and runs fine. Aside from warranty issues, hoses and seals, and water, I'm not quite sure I understand why a VW won't run on the fuels you noted.
First, if your running anything newer than a 2006, your killing the DPF, and also diluting the oil.

I'm not talking about anything but a VW here. There is a reason a VW doesn't like biodiesel.

First, the VW (2007 and later) has a post burn injection system. This is due to the American EPA laws. This post burn injection is after the normal run injection and after TDC. This injection is to create a burning in the DPF to keep it clean. Since Biodiesel doesn't burn at atmospheric pressure very well (which it will be after leaving the combustion chamber), it flames out, leaving a film on the cylinder wall. This film makes it past the rings, and will dilute the oil. The rest will follow the exhaust out of the cylinder right into the DPF where it will continue to coke the DPF until it starts to choke the engine. When that happens, the DPF indicator on your car will come on, and you will be required to replace it. As I understand it, the post burn injection on a VW can not be mapped out (through the software). This leads to diluted oil, and a DPF to be replaced.

If you get caught removing the DPF from an American vehicle, and not replacing it, the fine starts at about $10,000, and can have jail time associated with it.

So you can run it all you want, but I think if you have a newer VW (2007 or later), you will find out why. This has been a huge complaint of the Veggie oilers about the new VW. VW has tested, and 5% is about all the DPF is really able to handle in all weather conditions with the temp monitoring keeping the DPF at the correct temp.

I have read some of the veggie oilers who have been mixing (above 5%) already having problems with their DPF's.

James L
Old 24-11-2012, 12:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I removed a perfectly good propane heater from the boat, in order to install the "Newport".
Old 25-11-2012, 10:48   #27

As an update to CF members, I installed the barometric damper, as suggested by some posters here. The limited height betwwen the top of the stove and the cabin top causes the damper to be installed outside the parameters of Dickinson's intructions, ie, too close to the top of the stove. The damper has done little to eliminate the horrible sooting problem I have been having with the heater. Dickinson has mailed me one of their special baffles to try and improve the poor combustion of the fuel and hopefully eliminate the problem and the need for constant cleaning of the heater, (4 times in 2 months). I feel very strongly that Dickinson should of included this part with instructions from the "Git go". If the baffle does not do the job, I will try adding one more section of flu to try and improve the heaters draw. I am currently not using the unit and the temps here last night were in the mid 20's, not real happy. Will keep the members updated as this drama plays out.
Old 25-11-2012, 19:28   #28

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Sold the propane heater yet;-)
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:54   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
Nope sorry, you must be mistaken.

No where on Dickinson's site is ULSD listed. They list #1, #2 and kerosene.

Your lack of understanding in the difference of the fuel is definitely your fault, not theirs.

False advertising would have those specifications listed with ULSD, which is not that case.

You can blame then all you want, but that doesn't make your opinion valid.

James L
Ahhhh wrong, in NY our ultra low sulpher diesel fuel is still called number 1 or number 2. Today I received Dickinson's so called solution to my heaters poor burning problem, what the company calls the "Low sulpher baffle". Dickinson instructs to use te fan full time with the new baffle. Problem with the fan is the heater doesn't make the rated BTU outputs that was advertised, hot air is getting blown up the stack. Its mid 30's here tonight and the insulated boat is chilly. There is nothing I hate more than spending my hard earned money and wasting huge ammounts of time on a product that doesn't work as advertised. Dickinson new they were having this problem with these heaters hence having this "Low sulpher" baffle in their product inventory and yet they are continuing to sell the heaters knowing full well it is experincing all these problems. I have been using a little electric 1200 watt heater while waiting days for Dickinson to get the baffle to me and the radiator has been keeping the boat warmer than the "Newport" with the cost of diesel fuel in my area hitting $4.40 a gallon it just doesn't make good financial sense to continue to burn the "Newport" with the low BTU output I am getting.

Extremely unhappy customer.

Tags
diesel