Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 05:31   #1

UK NHS Prescription filling.

This is a question largely for Brits. Apologies if it's been talked to death already but I'm looking for peoples' experience and knowledge of obtaining long term medications.

What form do your arrangements for long-term medication provision take for cruising?

What are the issues around having them delivered abroad?

Can NHS prescriptions be filled abroad? If so where yes and where no? Will they send more than a month or so?

What's the theoretical/legal postion and how does that compare with your experience of the reality.

I know it's wide and that people may say it depend's on sailing area but I want to keep that open because my plans (and those of other Brits who may later find the thread) will probably be constrained by the background provided in the answers.

All the Best
Bill
slapt0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:03   #2

Re: UK NHS Prescription filling.

NHS is a residency based system, so in theory if you leave the UK, you are no longer eligible to access the benefits. Nevertheless if you are leaving the UK and use regular medicines you might want to have the doctor give you a set of prescriptions for all the medicines you carry on board.

GHIC cards are available now as a replacement for EHIC cards. Suggest you apply for and carry. Will help somewhat although the benefits are ONLY what the local system offers and is dependent on the local country accepting the card as valid.

After that you are on your own and pay your own way.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote