Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 22:29   #1

Boat: Passport 43
Trading for fish in Mexico

OK, I don't like to fish! I cruised the Sea of Cortez last year and am leaving soon to do the same this year. I enjoy meeting locals and like to "buy" fish from the local fisherman. I know they love Pesos but would also like to trade with items they like. Batteries, Coca Cola and rope all seem to work well but Im looking for suggestions from others. Ideas?

Jeff
PassportJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 22:36   #2

Re: Trading for fish in Mexico

Cerveza de Sol

(if you can spare any!)

Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 00:49   #3

Costco headlamps. 3 for $10. Fishermen there love em. 1 per lobster.
sd2hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:15   #4

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

baseball caps
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:33   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Before leaving south, go to a commercial fishing supply and look around. Boxes of hooks, different sizes for different fish. Spools of line for handlines. Sharpening stones and fillet knives. Gloves, different sizes. Bandage kits. Lifeguard hats. Sunglasses. Waterproof storage bags and boxes. Plastic buckets with lids. Stuff for the fisherman's wife and kids when he comes home for the day: soccer balls (and air pumps), shampoo and conditioner, jars and cans of seasonings, hand lotion, first aid kits (with tweezers!), and anything you particularly like having plenty of while out there in the sun and sea for long periods of time. It's a long way from a fish camp to a fully stocked market or farmacia. If the fisherman can't particularly use something, someone he knows will be happy to be the recipient of his generosity.

And if you really want to score points, DON'T TRADE. Just make a straight across gift and see what happens. Your return on investment will exceed your expectations.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 21:49   #6

Boat: Bieker 53

This reminds me of our cruising trip down the coast in 2002. It was just my wife and two kids (ages 9 & 12). Our non-sailing friends were frequently asking if we were afraid of pirates and I scoffed at them as I pointed out how (relatively) safe it was. The morning after our second night south of the border after seeing almost no one, we were sailing in towards Turtle bay when I saw a panga speeding directly towards us. I altered course to avoid them and they altered course to meet us head on. I was thinking WTF? I admit I was a bit nervous. As they got closer, I saw there were two of them and one was holding up something in each of his hands. Finally when they were nearly on us, I saw they were lobster. We furled the jib and slowed the boat until they were alongside. They wanted to trade for lobster. We ended up giving them a t-shirt and a couple cans of Coke in exchange for 4 lobster. I offered cerveza but they declined. Super likable guys.

I would add t-shirts to your list.
Seaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 22:36   #7

Boat: Passport 43

So many great ideas! Tee shirts, headlamps, hooks, line, hats, fiellet knives, frst aid stuff, buckets, soccer ball, shampoo.

For me the best advice was to give stuff away and see what comes back. Thanks you all
Jeff on Joy
XE2KJ6GET
PassportJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The fisherman near where my mom lives in Jamaica are absolutely crazy over headlamps. I picked up a few ENERGIZER Headlamp,LED,95 Lm,Yellow - Headlamps and Hands Free Lights - 1LEE1|HDL33AINE - Grainger Industrial Supply for them and swear I made friends for life. The first time i brought them I didn't bring enough for everyone, and they actually created a communal time share to spread them out amongst all the fisherman. The next trip I brought new ones for everyone. These days I can't even buy fish from them, anything I look at too long they beg me to take to say thank you.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:51   #9

If you are in a more remote location, where they are out for a while, they loved the fresh banana bread we gave them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:42   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I ask. Batteries are popular. A friend swears by old playboy magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, Mexico