Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 07:57   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have heard that children's play dough works. I have not tried myself as I try to avoid glass.
Play-doh does not remain soft when exposed to air.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:28   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Modeling clay does, but that sounds messy. I think the hair elastics sound like an excellent idea. I have started to save my old ones rather than throw them out when they get less stretchy. Should be perfect for sliding around bottles and jars.

I am thinking the thicker ones would work better than the skinny ones;

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:55   #18

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
Re: Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
+1 on non-slip shelf lining. Works beautifully as long as jars don't have a lot of space to move. Non-slip also stops locker contents from nocking on locker walls during unsettled weather -> sailing becomes much more peaceful.
If been wondering how to can my food and keep the jars secure. Thanks for all the tips.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 16:59   #19

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I make jams/jellies, can okra, tomatoes, make pickles.....

I just keep the box the jars came in and put stuff back in the box. Label everything on top of the lid, since you don't reuse the lid anyway. Tape a paper list to the side of the box so I can see what's in a stack.

This is at home, BTW, not in my little C25.....
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 18:41   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I am planning on building in a grid system of thin plywood for my canning jars. Each bay will be the size of a jar plus about 1/8, and jars can be stacked with a plywood disk between. I don't think more that two layers for quart/liter jars and 3 layers for the smaller pint/500ml jars. Once in the closed position, the hinged lid will be locked down with keyed latches.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I make jams/jellies, can okra, tomatoes, make pickles.....

I just keep the box the jars came in and put stuff back in the box. Label everything on top of the lid, since you don't reuse the lid anyway. Tape a paper list to the side of the box so I can see what's in a stack.

This is at home, BTW, not in my little C25.....
Yeah, carboard on the boat might not be such a great idea. It gets wet and it's a nice shelter for all types of insects. I throw out all paper/carboard boxes (except for books and charts). If I need to keep instructions, I make sure they are isolated from the rest of the pantry. My idea is to minimize habitable spaces for insects. Then, if they wander in, they are less likely to settle down... That's the hope, anyways.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:50   #22

Boat: contessa 32

I have almost no glass aboard;when I shop I give higher priority to the con tainers (shape and construction) than I do to its contents.I therefore end up with some off brand stuff that i would never buy on land. Some goods are transfered to the nonbreakeable containers that I accumulate that fit neatly in each odd shaped space. For the very few glass items that don't come in cans or I can't repackage ,I am ever viligent for small wicker or mini milk crate containers(they come in all sizes) that fit neatly into the spaces that I have available.
FWIW, after you have exhausted those stores where you might find these items ,go to the ethinic stores for foods packaged differently or cook ware that may be just what you need.Stay with this process and over time your boat will seem larger and be more functional and you may just stop lusting for that larger craft that you can't afford anyway.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:02   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
I have almost no glass aboard;when I shop I give higher priority to the con tainers (shape and construction) than I do to its contents..

We, on the other hand, have lots of glass aboard. When we first started sailing we bought plastic dishes and glasses. At that time good quality ones were more expensive than glass. After a few years we got tired of using plastic and reverted to glass, including wine glasses. I've been told a glass of wine in a plastic wine glass just doesn't feel right. Have never had a problem with breakage, just stow them properly and they'll be fine.

To each his own. We met a couple when we first started cruising. We became good friends and we still see them today and cruised together a few years ago. At that time we had a 36 and they had a 34 so we traveled together. They had 2 tin cups and 2 tin plates. That was the sum total of their "dishes". We still laugh about it today.
Old 03-10-2011, 13:26   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

This is a bit of thread drift, but for me using things I enjoy is worth the extra bother.

The plates are china and the wine glasses are glass, although we also have some great lexan ones as well. The wine is mostly in bottles as is the small liquor cabinet supply. I don't find that the glass, if it is heavy appropriate material, is any more likely to break at the boat than at the house.

If something should happen that created a huge amount of damage, broken glass and china, I expect that the loss of a few plates and some bottles would be the LEAST of my worries. It's contained so in the event of a crisis it would not be all over the companion way creating a hazard.

For me it's just not a big deal to keep on using nice things and enjoying them. They aren't heirloom pieces, just ikea and crate and barrel, some thrift items, but they look good and that makes me happy.

I am excited about the new sheaves I bought last week to put on the mast with the new rigging, but I get just as excited when I find something beautiful AND functional for the galley!

And besides, nail polish doesn't come in plastic bottles and neither does my homemade chili and soups!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We, on the other hand, have lots of glass aboard. When we first started sailing we bought plastic dishes and glasses. At that time good quality ones were more expensive than glass. After a few years we got tired of using plastic and reverted to glass, including wine glasses. I've been told a glass of wine in a plastic wine glass just doesn't feel right. Have never had a problem with breakage, just stow them properly and they'll be fine.

+1 on glass for glasses and rest of tableware. It provides a much cosier feeling when using it. For dishes we use Corelle even during storms without any problem. Though I do use plastic for containers - it's thinner and lighter. And, of course, vacuum bags for long term storage.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 13:47   #26

Yes to the cheap rubber matting stuff, works great for all sorts of stopping of sliding and banging.
Something I just saw that must be cheap and seems very slick-bought a couple of bottle of wine the other day at the shop and rather than the clerk taking pieces of cardboard and sliding them between the bottles (as usual) - he grabbed a couple of plastic "mesh" sleeves, made for the purpose, slid right over the bottle. No charge and it wasn't expensive wine so they must be available for very little
newboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 19:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
The plates are china and the wine glasses are glass, although we also have some great lexan ones as well. The wine is mostly in bottles as is the small liquor cabinet supply. I don't find that the glass, if it is heavy appropriate material, is any more likely to break at the boat than at the house.
+2 for the glass! We had the plastic dishes but they got tired of them We live-aboard so want to use glass/china. We have never had any breakage (knock wood) with he non-skid between the plates, etc. The nice glasses are tucked in wicker with non-skid between. Seems to work so far! 
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23   #28

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

+1 on glass and dishes. I prefer them for the comfort factor...the "tactile" comfort....like the comment I made in another thread about coffee grinders...while the plastic ones work just great, there's just something satisfying on another lever handling and using something beautiful.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Plastic Bottle Sleeves, like these, used to be available (free) at liquor stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottlesleeve.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	32347  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:09   #30

Boat: Nonsuch30
For cruisers who use Mason jars for canning: do you bring the empty jars home, drop them over the side in deep water, or take them ashore to the trash or (recycling)?

RB