Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 20:55   #16
cruiser

Can your own and get exactly what you want .I've been caning venison for decades. Canning your own chicken works well. You can buy the tough old laying hens from the buy and sell, very cheap, or sometimes get them given to you. No one wants them, because they are tough, but anything falls apart under your fork when you have canned them. If you cook it in the canner until you can shake the meat off the bones , (about 15 minutes) then you can put only meat in the jars, and can the soup stock from the bones,.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 22:45   #17

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I have always been a little timid about canning poultry, but I have canned caribou and elk. Lean game meat seems easier to can than fatty beef.
Old 03-08-2010, 00:39   #18
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tinned meats I don't like:
Corned Beef
Hot Dog Sausages
Spam
Ham
Bacon
Cocktail Sausages

Tinned Meats I do like:
.....?

Tinned Fish I do like:
Tuna
Pilchards
Sardines
Salmon

Me t'inks me saw a battern....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42   #19

Boat: SJ23 1988
What.... they can... Bacon??? is it still crispy???
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44   #20

Who here would like Astrid to post her story as to how she has come to can Caribou and Elk...? I think I would like to hear that story. Must be an amazing person!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:06   #21

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
Who here would like Astrid to post her story as to how she has come to can Caribou and Elk...? I think I would like to hear that story. Must be an amazing person!
She's from Canada Eh! We all grow up knowing how to can wild meat. Except the people from TO that is

On a note more relevant to the post; Canning meat is an outstanding option to fresh, if it's done correctly. You have to watch out for crazy sodium levels in a lot of the store bought stuff, but if you do it at home you will be much healthier for doing so. Except of course if you give yourself salmonella by not using a proper pressure cooker etc.

My favorite canned meat? I would say Bison, with Elk a close second.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41   #22

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
I'm looking for a service that will can my food in tins for me. You provide and prepare the food and they can it for you in little tins!!! We plan on leaving for the Bahamas in January and I'd like to be better prepared than my last voyage (2 months aboard and poorly provisioned).
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
It's really not that hard to do. Mostly, one just needs to have the proper pressure cooker, canning materials, and follow the directions on the proper way to go about canning whatever it is one is going to can (to avoid potential food poisoning). The main thing is the realization that you will be spending a weekend in the kitchen doing it instead of out playing or sailing. I usually like to can in the fall when the temps are less, and the kitchen or galley isn't quite so hot--besides that is sort of the traditional time anyways as it is the end of the harvest season. The most difficult thing about canning and preserving game meat is actually going out and getting the critter in the first place. Compared to the canning process, that is the hardest work of all.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38   #24

Hans and Laura, you might try here:

Canneries: Where to Find a Local Cannery or Canning Center Near You for Your Jam, Beans, Salsa, Tomatoes, Fruit and Other Produce!

There seem to be quite a few community canneries in your state (assuming you are in Virginia). I suspect the various business listed therein, if the do not can meats, can point you to a custom cannery that does.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28   #25

You can put anything in a jar that you would normally eat, some just don't come out as good as they went in and some come out better. Get a good pressure cooker canner and canning book and go to work. Here another option I have used when packing in the high country and they all work good.
Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Home
About Best Prices Storable Foods
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57   #26

Ok... looked up Caning online.... I'd call it "Jar" ing.... Guess I was thinking that people were creating their own "Tins" of food not glass jars...

I Jar Yeast for brewing, helps especialy when you have a yeast that is not something you can just buy off the shelf. Or if you manage to culture one from a brew you like and want to create your own brew from.

Great links though thanks to all.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42   #27

Actuallyl you use the metal can method to do it at home too--but the equipment is more expensive and once you have used the can, it's just so much garbage.

Wells Can Company Ltd.

As to the process, it is similar

How to Can Food in Tin Cans | eHow.co.uk

On a boat, tin cans might be the way to go unless you can store mason jars securely. The down side is you are looking at having to special order cans and lids and spending an extra $200 to $300 or more for the can sealing machine. With proper glass jars, only the lid is disposable, while the jar can be reused for years with a little proper care.
Old 03-08-2010, 13:00   #28

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Beef, pork, chicken and turkey and all really good. We bought it for cruising and then bought it when we were not cruising. They will deliver it anywhere,
Welcome to Werling & Sons, Inc.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 14:00   #29

Oh glad you brought that up, I love Grandma Werling's beef taco filling and the BBQ seasoned port. I haven't tried the others, but I keep three or four cans of those two in my pantry. They have a long shelf life, too..
Old 03-08-2010, 14:14   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
The tastiest corned beef hash recipe I've had is as follows.

1 can of hash, 1 small onion diced small and gently fried together. Add half a cup of Pace Chunky picante(I like the medium) and a couple of tspn of taco seasoning. Once its all good and hot add 2-3 large eggs and scramble until cooked. Serve in flour tortillas. Makes about 4 good size tacos. I make my own tortillas using the WhiteWings brand mix. All you add is water. You can cook them in a frying pan but a proper tortilla griddle(the spanish name eludes me) is better. The griddle can be used for other stuff too..............m