Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 16:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Thinking of going CHARCOAL to GAS grill; how?

I was thinking of getting rid of my charcoal grill and getting a gas grill. I have two propane tanks right underneath the starboard helm seat... see below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Grill.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	220856

I was thinking of switching it out to a gas grill... but I'd have to run a propane hose from the grill, down the metal railing and down to the fiberglass where the red line ends. I'd have to drill a hole in there.

Is it worth it? Would you recommend it? If so, what equipment should I get (for example, fittings, hoses, grill, etc.)?

Thank you!!! It would be my one of my first major projects/upgrades that I do myself.

Or... if you wouldn't recommend it, why not? I'm sick and tired of the charcoal and the lighter fluid and the uneven temps.......
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 16:56   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Thinking of going CHARCOAL to GAS grill; how?

I just strapped a 6 gallon propane tank on the rail.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 16:59   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

^^x2. You can usually find various sizes 6/10/15 lb tanks or run off 1lb but they are also a pain.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 17:33   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	220859

These are my two tanks. I use one for the stove inside and the other one sits unused. I was thinking of turning that into the grill tank [emoji3]
Old 07-08-2020, 17:35   #5

I already have two propane tanks underneath that seat (see above)... one is connected to the stove inside and the other is just sitting unused...
Old 07-08-2020, 17:48   #6

Boat: Columbia 50

Get a magma gas grill. You can get a 6’ conversion hose that has a standard tank fitting on one end, and one that will screw onto the grill’s regulator just like a 1lb bottle at any barbecue shop for 40-50 bucks. I have a Weber branded one made for their portable grill line.

You could just pop the regulator off the grill and leave the hose and reg in the locker when not in use, or drill the hole, as you please. If that white piece below the lid is a vent, you could lead the hose through it - no new holes

Gas grills rock.....

I got the Magma Catalina IR model....good size, great taste, no fuss. You have to buy a set of rail mounts as well, but they do have built in legs for use on land - mine spends the winter on my porch ready to grill...

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 18:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Get a magma gas grill. You can get a 6’ conversion hose that has a standard tank fitting on one end, and one that will screw onto the grill’s regulator just like a 1lb bottle at any barbecue shop for 40-50 bucks. I have a Weber branded one made for their portable grill line.

You could just pop the regulator off the grill and leave the hose and reg in the locker when not in use, or drill the hole, as you please. If that white piece below the lid is a vent, you could lead the hose through it - no new holes

Gas grills rock.....

I got the Magma Catalina IR model....good size, great taste, no fuss. You have to buy a set of rail mounts as well, but they do have built in legs for use on land - mine spends the winter on my porch ready to grill...

Matt
Dude!!! Matt!!! I didn't even think of it... either use the VENT or use the grill and then disconnect the hose and keep it in the locker when NOT IN USE. Eliminates need for permanent holes in the boat.

"GAS GRILLS ROCK..." <=== that's exactly what I needed to hear
Old 07-08-2020, 18:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have three Magma’s in storage, the last one was an IR.
They won’t stay lit and are way overpriced junk.
I now have a baby Weber grill and they are so superior it’s not even close, much much better grill.
There are kits to add a grill to your existing gas supply, I have one somewhere myself. My bottles are far away so I just strapped a 10lb aluminum tank under the grill on the rail and got a conversion hose off of Amazon, where your tanks are I would tie into one of them. I believe it would just take a T connected prior to the regulator, because the grill has it’s one regulator and needs a HP connection.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757HXJKN/ref=dp_prsubs_2
There are many hoses, some are braided SS to look pretty, and you can get them much longer too uo at least to 12’ long
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 19:23   #9

Boat: Columbia 50

A64,

I have to beg to differ with you on the magmas....the Catalina has never let me down- it IS the newer version with vent holes. Had a round party size one prior, older model before they hinged them.... for many years, again, no issues. In my opinion, for an ALL stainless grill, high quality, easy boat mounting, etc. they are a good value for the money.

I HAVE had many issues with the Webers - regulators, rust, have to start the burner tube in multiple places to get it running. Etc, etc.

To each his own, of course.

Cheers,

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 19:37   #10

Boat: Islander 36

I have a grill with the 1 pound green bottles. Simple and easy. I also have an adapter to hook the greenies into my boat, it's a great way to have redundancy.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 20:48   #11

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Cookout grill by Southern Stainless is what we have on our Seawind. Magma is standard on the 1160 and 1190; the Cookout on 1260, etc. We special ordered for the 1160 Lite. Had one for 16 years on the Seawind 1000, and had to replace the burner once. Welded, thick gauge stainless. Aussie barbie style. https://southernstainless.com.au/marine-boating/bbqs/
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:30   #12

You can call me a snob, but Hardwood - lump charcoal is by far a superior way to grill. The flavor is orders of magnitude better than via gas. If you are cooking hotdogs, sure, but put on a nice cut of grass fed meat or some just caught mahi mahi on it and the last thing you want is a gas grill tainting the flavor of the meat.

I say keep the charcoal grill, and get a small dedicated gas one next to it, that way you have the best of both worlds. The only time I prefer a gas grill is if I am offshore, but then I would just use the safer and more convenient cast iron skilled below deck anyways.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:10   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post
You can call me a snob, but Hardwood - lump charcoal is by far a superior way to grill. The flavor is orders of magnitude better than via gas. If you are cooking hotdogs, sure, but put on a nice cut of grass fed meat or some just caught mahi mahi on it and the last thing you want is a gas grill tainting the flavor of the meat.
Totally agree with this statement but for ease of use and cleanliness on a boat I’d go gas. Save a bag of lump for the beach and use the grills from the gas bbq beachside. Nothing like emptying the ash to have it sucked into your cockpit, open port etc. There is also a safety factor With gas as you can shut it off in a moments notice if the weather turns, grease flare up etc.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:10   #14

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post

I say keep the charcoal grill, and get a small dedicated gas one next to it, that way you have the best of both worlds. The only time I prefer a gas grill is if I am offshore, but then I would just use the safer and more convenient cast iron skilled below deck anyways.
Snob. <g>
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:26   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I switched from integral 1 lb gas cannister to 25 # can strapped to the rail. Personally dislike propane in closed spaces. In your situation I would avoid drilling and simply move a can to deck or rail. Propane hose through drilled opening seems like potential trouble to me. Also eliminate need to access compartment to open and close tank each time you grill.
Agree charcoal is PITA. For me 5 min preheat is enough waiting time when I'm hungry. Easy clean up also a plus.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Grill