Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 18:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Thinking of going CHARCOAL to GAS grill; how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Strongly recommend using Weber portable grill - not as stylish, but better performing and arguably - longer lasting (due to parts availability and lower cost). Use with big tank and never worry about grill fuel.

Tapping into stove tank/line is likely against the code/original design and is something that may cause your insurance to deny coverage or payout in case anything happens.

Good reading for reference
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-173684.html
There is no "code" for propane in pleasure craft in Canada or the US. Adding a second line to another appliance is within ABYC standards if done in accordance with ABYC Standards.
Old 21-10-2020, 20:43   #32

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Slight thread drift.....Wingssail what sort of gas water heater do you have?
We have been through a few.

Before we left Seattle we had Paloma. It was fine and we used the heck out of it. It had a manual pilot light which we had to start each day. Never knew that was a problem until we had one with an automatic lighter.

In New Zealand when the second Paloma rusted out we bought a Challenger which had an automatic lighter and a stainless steel case. It was fine until the gas valve inside rusted shut due to water dripping on it and it would not work. Actually I replaced it with an exact same model and also repaired the broken one and continued using it for about 10 years.

Now we have a Cinsa, made in Mexico, which has been great for the last 6 years, It is all automatic and because of an electronic flow meter it heats water even at a low flow rate, which is really nice. Only problem is that the solenoids are noisy, however we quickly got used to that. It costs $150 in Mexico.

There are many units, such as Bosch, Rinnai etc

In 34 years we have not had any problem which I think was a safety issue. These units are engineered for safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinsa Water Heater-223932.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	225663  
Old 21-10-2020, 20:53   #33

Boat: Allied 39

We are on year 17 with our magma gaz grill. Most of that time cruising. BUT every year I replace parts. Especially the burners. Those rarely last more than 18 months of use. We also keep ours covered AND polish it 2xs a year with SS polish (not wax). Trying to replace a grill while overseas is the reason we just keep putting new parts on the existing one.
Old 22-10-2020, 01:26   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

As liveaboards we BBQ at least 3 times a week for our main meal at lunchtime, rain or shine

I love the practically of a working BBQ table aft when things get lively and now have a reliable alternative to cooking inside even in bad weather

Being typhoon season I can't praise enough, how well the Webber handles wind gusts and rain bands on the side during the 35 minutes to cook the chicken quarters, but we had to wait for lulls in the wind to flip the veggies as they wanted to blow away.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_105056.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	225668Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1603353956796.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	225669Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1603353936647.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	225670Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1603353914199.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	225671Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1603353889938.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	225672
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 02:35   #35

I agree that the magma grills are overpriced junk that blow out at the slightest hint of a breeze. I finally changed to Weber q2000. It never blows out and is all aluminum with heavy cast grates. plus I believe they are cheaper than the top of the line Magma
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:52   #36

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I agree that the magma grills are overpriced junk that blow out at the slightest hint of a breeze. I finally changed to Weber q2000. It never blows out and is all aluminum with heavy cast grates. plus I believe they are cheaper than the top of the line Magma
I just wonder why everyone else has such a problem with Magma blowing out.

Mine is mounted on the side railing at the aft corner of my boat, hanging right out there in the wind, and I'm not having any problem with the fire blowing out, at any of the three gas levels, low, medium or high, either at the dock or out on anchor.

Yes, I used to have that problem with a previous Magma kettle and I solved it by cramming aluminum foil around the base, but with this one, for about 4 years, it has not been a problem.
Old 23-10-2020, 10:51   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
George_Sd, I would really be surprised if supplying multiple devices from one regulated propane source is against anyone's code or a possible reason to deny insurance claims.

Many boats (and houses) have more than one propane appliance running off of one tank system. You need to make sure it is T'd off after the regulator, use proper fittings and hoses, and that there is a shut off valve for each appliance.

For a gas BBQ which uses small camping bottles (such as a Magma) you need a low pressure control valve, available from Magma or marine suppliers, if you are planning to run it off of the same tanks as your main propane stove.

It is better to use the main propane supply than hang a separate tank off the railing, which is unsightly and unseaworthy.

As for the use of Weber BBQ, I don't have an opinion on that. I've always used Magma but I admit that they don't last for much over 3 years of continuous usage in a salt water environment but parts are available (world wide). We are on our fourth Magma kettle in 34 years and it is getting to the point where I need to spend some money on it, which I will. I use it 4-5 nights a week.

We have two gas bottles, one in use and one spare. It supplies the stove, water heater, and BBQ.
Was the case with me. There was a "T" connection in the gas supply line going to the stove and surveyor (pre-purchase) said that's not acceptable and would need to be corrected. Insurance insisted on this being corrected to original within 30 days of coverage in order to continue providing insurance.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 10:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There is no "code" for propane in pleasure craft in Canada or the US. Adding a second line to another appliance is within ABYC standards if done in accordance with ABYC Standards.
When I was buying our boat, we did have a problem with needing to revert the "T" connection previous owner put onto the gas line. Both - surveyor and insurance said it would need to be changed back.

Here is the actual language he put into the survey report

Quote:
The LPG supply line to the stove has been modified with a "T" end fitting. In order to meet
ABYC A-1 standards, the LPG supply line must be one independent hose marked LPG, from the tank to
the appliance, with crimped end fittings.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 11:05   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
George_Sd, I would really be surprised if supplying multiple devices from one regulated propane source is against anyone's code or a possible reason to deny insurance claims.
Servicing multiple appliances is not the issue.
Where and how it's done is the issue.
Old 23-10-2020, 11:55   #40

I prefer charcoal as well but if/when I get a boat it will have gas, I don't know which one.

That being said - if you're a charcoal user there's no reason to use lighter fluid. Buy a Weber charcoal starter and be done...

Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 14:57   #41

Boat: Norseman 447

I won’t have charcoal on the boat. I used a charcoal grill for years before going on my first cruise. I had one of the huge Edson bilge pumps with a 2” hose. I’d gotten rid of the grill about a year before I left. I used the manual pump to know how much water I was taking on. About halfway to Tahiti, an old briquette got picked up and jammed solidly in the through hull valve. I had a bruised shoulder for about a week.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Grill