Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 18:56   #436
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

What's wrong with dogfood? I know many folks who call the Chef B's stuff "Ralston Purina People Chow" or "Batchelor Chow" but eat it just the same. I don't stock it, I don't eat it, but their ravioli is something you can't just shake out of a dried box, like spaghetti.

Heck, some folks seem to think McD's really sells hamburgers, too.<G>

I was using tinned tomato sauce/paste to make my own, since it is so damned easy and who needs all the extra ingredients and sugar in the jarred sauces? But now I hear all the tinned tomato products are rich in BPA from the acid-resisting can liners.

Now I know why Kevin Costner grew his own tomatoes in Waterworld.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 19:17   #437

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What's wrong with dogfood? I know many folks who call the Chef B's stuff "Ralston Purina People Chow" or "Batchelor Chow" but eat it just the same. I don't stock it, I don't eat it, but their ravioli is something you can't just shake out of a dried box, like spaghetti.

Heck, some folks seem to think McD's really sells hamburgers, too.<G>

I was using tinned tomato sauce/paste to make my own, since it is so damned easy and who needs all the extra ingredients and sugar in the jarred sauces? But now I hear all the tinned tomato products are rich in BPA from the acid-resisting can liners.

I had too much of that as a boy in the reformatory. The crazy kid next to me was always getting his ass kicked asking for more. Oliver, he's name was.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 23:40   #438

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I thought it was lemons?
The tree did look a bit like a tomato bush though LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 01:45   #439

Boat: Freedom 32

Garlic! Put enough garlic on anything and it'll taste good. That's how people began eating snails. Don't know anyone who has had a snail without it.
"needs garlic"
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 05:28   #440

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I thought it was lemons?
The tree did look a bit like a tomato bush though LOL.
Apparently Gord is on Spring Break somewhere warm:

" ...the fish-man had the lemon tree plant from the beginning of the movie. We never saw where it came from. He actually traded a handful of dirt for a tomato plant. " Waterworld Movie Blooper
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:49   #441

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Apparently Gord is on Spring Break somewhere warm:

" ...the fish-man had the lemon tree plant from the beginning of the movie. We never saw where it came from. He actually traded a handful of dirt for a tomato plant. " Waterworld Movie Blooper
Ah, yes, but we never actually saw him growing any tomatoes LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 12:29   #442

I looked all over for the milk products at Publix and found Nido, but no Klim. I may have to order Klim online to taste the difference. Nestle makes the nonfat dried milk and the Nido and they do taste almost identical, which is MUCH better than ANY of the other dried milk products out there locally (Jax, FL - Walmart, Publix, Winn-Dixie, etc.).

OMG-Got the perfect combo. I've been experimenting with different things. I tried the vanilla extract as recommended here, but it had a nasty bite to it even though I love vanilla (Publix Vanilla Extract-should have tried vanilla beans instead, I suppose).

Anyway, this combo is amazingly like real/fresh milk (as much as possible):
1. Add 1/2 cup Nido to a 1 pt 0.9 fl oz (standard) Zephyrhills water bottle
Note: You'll have to drink a few swigs first to make some room for ingredients
2. Add 1 packet (1.26oz/36gm) Carnation Breakfast Essentials (Comes in a box of 10 packets)
From the expiration on the box, it lasts, at least, a year.
3. Shake well and Voila !!
- Optionally, add Hershey's Chocolate Syrup for chocolate milk ...

You have got to try this once - Proof's in the pudding ... With the ingredients lasting a year, you could stock up on this and be set for a long journey. I haven't looked at the labels for how healthy (unhealthy) this concoction is, but it tastes as close to the real, sweet milk as I've been able to find with ingredients that last a year. I really didn't think it was possible. Now I have something to drink with the ... chocolate bars !! Oh, and breakfast too I suppose ...
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 13:07   #443

Forgot to note, the Carnation Breakfast Essentials ... Classic French Vanilla flavor
Old 24-03-2013, 13:20   #444

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_e_n_n_i_s View Post
I tried the chocolate Nido flavoring (Thought it was chocolate milk, but what I bought was just chocolate flavoring) called "Nestle Milo" and it was so bad I threw it away.

Milo is the Aussie's answer to Ovaltine - it's supposed to have a mild chocolate, malty flavour.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 14:56   #445
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in mexico there is no such thing as klim. i have yet to find in usa as well. i think is a fallacy. i have found alpura, and nido and some other brands of powdered hole milk--entero---which work better than nestle nido--nestle has an aftertaste i do not enjoy. alpura does not have that nasty aftertaste. look for leche entero en polvo.
carnation breakfast of instant variety is also not in mexico...they have their own kind of choc milk--has cinnamon in it.....if you look hard enough you can find cocoa powder and choc syrup here.....one may or may not find crema ligera in the fresh cream section in the fridgerated secton --in quart sized milk cartons--is not always stocked, and doesn t keep well. there is crema para batir, which,mixed with whole milk makes half and half. is found in pint and quart sizes. crema in mexico is sour cream. beware.has acid in it for souring the cream, if you read the labels well, you will see that.
remember the things you are used to buying in usa do not exist elsewhere, except at unrealistically high pricing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 10:40   #446

Thanks for the info Zeehag !!!

FYI - The Carnation Breakfast isn't dried milk, but some "breakfast full meal" kinda craziness to add to milk. To be honest, I wasn't paying attention while shopping and just grabbed it - Then, later on the boat dumped a pack in while experimenting, expecting to be disgusted, and had a very pleasant surprise. It helps to kill that after-taste that you note with Nido/Nestle's dry milk products (Not completely, but mostly). Here's a link to the product (Select the "Classic French Vanilla" as that is what I added to the Nestle Nido):
Carnation Instant Breakfast Powder, 10 pk - Best Price

I did a quick search for "leche entero en polvo" and, although I haven't yet learned to speak Spanish, it is apparently made by Nestle as well:
http://www.nestleprofessional.com/me...WU%26cad%3drja

Hmmmm, here's the full lineup: http://www.nestleprofessional.com/Me...s/default.aspx

Looking at Amazon ... Is Nido and "leche entero en polvo" the same thing? One other warning from Amazon:
Be aware that Nestle USA recently switched supply of NIDO from their Chile plant to Mexico and the quality is like night and day. Most if not all the previous 5-star ratings were based on NIDO from Chile were the quality of the milk is far superior than the Mexican milk which is horrible!

I hope that's not true ... My workaround helps a LOT, but if this stuff tastes like real milk with absolutely no after-taste ... and now has switched manufacturing sites ... crap !!

Thanks for the warning on the sour cream !!

How does Alpura taste ?? Leche alpura | Calidad alpura, Confianza Pura
Old 25-03-2013, 11:19   #447
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Carnation breakfast mix: A child of the Space Race and instant astronaut food crazes, who needs food when you can just open a box and eat?

"leche entero en polvo" is easy to translate once you remember that the Spanish concepts for what the product is, are not the same as the English. And I have no idea where "milk" derives from.

Leche = leachate, which is to say the stuff that leaches out of the mammary glands. Which we call "milk" in English, without referring to where it came from.

entero = entire, which is what we call "whole" mile instead of the "entire" or "complete" milk.

en polvo = pulverized, except we'd call it powdered and ignore the fact that it has to be dried out first to make that happen.

Not to be mistaken with pollo, which should be spelled poyo in English, which would be chicken milk. Damned chickens, you can't get more than one ounce of milk out of each one no matter how big it is. Great for one shot of demitasse though!

So you're looking at "entire leachate in pulverized form" or "entire leachate powder".

Technically Nido is more than that, as i recall it has some doses of vitamins and whatnot added in, but they're pretty much the same.

" switched supply of NIDO from their Chile plant to Mexico"
Oh, sure, mess around with Anglo minds by telling us NIDO is for the SOUTH American market, then go make it in CENTRAL America instead. Where the product is supposed to be KLIM. (Read that backwards.)

Folks who need milk in their coffee, really ought to try it in their wine and whiskey, too. UGH. Right up there with the astronaut food.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 12:54   #448
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Folks who need milk in their coffee, really ought to try it in their wine and whiskey, too. UGH. Right up there with the astronaut food.
+1 there Hellosailor. Milk is for babies.

Quote:
Carnation breakfast mix:
Nothing that an M1 main battle tank couldnt exterminate. ( and should)

Mind you "Dog Food", your average dog has a far better intestine then you have, just bear that in mind.

Dave
Old 25-03-2013, 16:07   #449

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
+1 there Hellosailor. Milk is for babies.

Nothing that an M1 main battle tank couldnt exterminate. ( and should)

Mind you "Dog Food", your average dog has a far better intestine then you have, just bear that in mind.

Dave
And note that dog food is far more nutritious a meal than what the average person (USA anyway) usually eats.
Old 25-03-2013, 16:22   #450
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

leche entero de polvo is merely powdered whole milk. many brands exist, and there are mexican brands with decent flavor, such as alpura, and 2 others, i dont remember names of at present. nido is leche entero de polvo--powdered whole milk.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote