Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 11:39   #376

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
And that's why we send the ladies to the super market. I'm sorry Janet but I have better things to do then figure out what oil is in a can of tuna you just got off a shelf in Mexico.
Oh, this ought to be good.subscribe.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:25   #377
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Janet, something fairly new to consider is that many or most canned goods are packed in cans lined with plastic. A good idea in theory, but apparently almost all the plastics leak BPA into the food and BPA has been banned from many products in many places because there is concern about how it affects the body.

Some companies are moving to different liners, others are poo-pooing the issue. The only way to find out, is to ask the company directly. It won't be on the label.

BPA is suspected of being an "endocrine disruptor" and known to mimic estrogen in the body. So unless someone wants to take estrogen pills...it may be best avoided. the canners will get the message very quickly if folks call or email to let them know they are concerned.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:55   #378
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_e_n_n_i_s View Post
Is Hasty Pudding best made with wheat flour or ground corn? I've purchased wheat and a grain mill from Lehmans, but haven't read up enough on the end-to-end process for making bread to go through the process yet ...
Corn or Indian mush:
A North American version, known as corn mush or Indian mush, is in its simplest form corn meal cooked slowly in water until it thickens. Like grits or polenta, it may be eaten hot, or left to cool and solidify, when slices of the cold pudding may then be fried. This hasty pudding was once a popular American food because of its low cost, long shelf life, and versatility, and was eaten with both sweet and savory accompaniments, such as maple syrup, molasses, or salted meat.
Down in Jamaica they call this porridge! They will put fish in it or anything else they can find ...It aint bad with that hard brown sugar that they make and a little coconut cream..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:57   #379
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
salad outside of usa can get dicey. watch how fields are fertilized....can be a problem....
toilet paper is readily available now in mexico...lol even charmin...
not every attempt out here to catch a fish is a success--make sure you have some kind of substitute handy....
I love the strawberrys and that carmal creme stuff that they have down there...They told me not to eat the strawberrys before boling them ?? I didnt listen...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 15:38   #380

don't know if this has been covered yet in this topic, but you know, you REALLY only need a few things in your food stores....
(the following info is linked to original at bottom)

If You ONLY Have:
Water, Wheat, Salt, Shortening or OilYou Can Make:
  • Sprouted wheat
  • Cooked cracked wheat
  • Cooked whole wheat
  • Wheat grass
  • Gluten (a strange bread-type food that has a very high protein content)
  • Tortillas

Just Add: Powdered Milk, Powdered Eggs, Honey or Sugar, FlourAnd You Can Make the Items Above PLUS:
  • Wheat pudding
  • German pancakes
  • Crepes
  • Pasta

Just Add: Yeast, Baking Powder, Baking SodaAnd You Can Make the Items Above PLUS:
  • Puddings/custards
  • Pancakes
  • Some varieties of cookies
  • Waffles
  • Muffins/English muffins
  • Breads
  • Biscuits
  • Some varieties of crackers

Just Add: Tomatoes, Powdered Butter and Cheese, Unflavored Gelatin, Canned Milk, Canned FruitsAnd You Can Make the Items Above PLUS:
  • Meatless dinners
  • Meatless casseroles
  • Cream sauces
  • Jello salads
  • Whipped cream desserts
  • Baby formula

Just Add: Rice, Legumes, Beef/Chicken Broth, Canned Meats, Dried Potatoes, Dehydrated VegetablesAnd You Can Make the Items Above PLUS:
  • Lots of great chunky soups
  • Chili
  • Refried beans
  • Rice dinners
  • Rice puddings
  • Sandwiches
  • Many different dinners and casseroles

Just Add: Extras such as Oats, Raisins, Nuts, Spices, Juice, Peanut Butter, Cream of Tarter, etc.And You Can Make the Items Above PLUS:
  • A wide variety of almost any type of food you would want to cook

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1308085
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:00   #381

In my experience you can also keep things like freeze dried veggies for quite a while without refrigeration. My personal favourites are corn and sweet peas.

Root vegetables like yams, sweet and normal potatoes keep for quite a while as well.

I also used to keep a lot of different strains of rice and other grains. Wheat, oats and polenta/grits are great because of how versatile they are. And its easy to make them sweet or savoury which works well for breakfast or lunch/dinner.

Sprouts. I eat a lot of sprouts.
irie_gyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 02:47   #382
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Dennis, store the cabbages with their stems down, and peel off the outer leaves for use till you get through it. It's more work than whacking off what you want with a knife, but the cabbage lasts longer. We have friends who did their own canning, and they kept carrots out, as well. The carrots get limp, but cook up okay.

Good luck with it.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Tasmania
Ann probably knows this stuff far better than me but I had always stored whole cabbage with their stems up. Then I cored out a little of the centre of the stem and filled the depression with salt. I would then top up the salt every day or two as required.

I forgot how long the cabbage would last in the tropics but we always finished them before they rotted.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 12:12   #383

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Why not take some of your extra cabbages and make Sauerkraut with them. Start at the beginning of a voyage and after a few weeks when the fresh cabbages are history, you can break out the fermented ones.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:03   #384

I love the list of items and what you can make with them, including the article link - Thanks tmiller1116, not to mention all the great ideas for other foods like cabbage, root vegetables, etc. - I also appreciate references to how long certain foods last and how best to store them. What an education !!

Such ingenuity - I'm saving this entire thread to shop before I set sail !!
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28   #385

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

This thread is taking disturbing turns. Hominy grits, cabbage, bran, freeze dried vegetables? Essential food?

What about warm crusty bread with double brie or Danish Blue?
Or salmon and avocado?
Or simply homemade pizza?

I could understand non Aussies leaving vegemite off the list, but why isn't chocolate (the sixth food group) featuring in these posts?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21   #386
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;1175759}I could understand non Aussies leaving vegemite off the list, but why isn't chocolate (the sixth food group) featuring in these posts?[/QUOTE]

lol - you are sooooo predictable!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35   #387
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This thread is taking disturbing turns. Hominy grits, cabbage, bran, freeze dried vegetables? Essential food?

What about warm crusty bread with double brie or Danish Blue?
Or salmon and avocado?
Or simply homemade pizza?

I could understand non Aussies leaving vegemite off the list, but why isn't chocolate (the sixth food group) featuring in these posts?
Non Aussies (UK) go for Marmite instead... now for any Brits in the USA if you want Marmite look in the Baking section at the supermarket... as it states on the labelits a yeast product...
for some reason its not considered a spread for bread/toast, hot drink, flavour additive for stews etc..
As for the other crap posted... generally its for folk who can't cook or non existant taste buds

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47   #388

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
lol - you are sooooo predictable!
Oh, yes, when it comes to good food (especially chocolate) I most certainly am. You know I eat healthily most of the time, but life is WAY too short for hominy grits and cabbage and freeze dried vegetables LOL.

I made your decadently rich choc almond cake tonight (still using a hammer to crush the nuts). We have demolished half of it in one sitting .

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56   #389

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Non Aussies (UK) go for Marmite instead... now for any Brits in the USA if you want Marmite look in the Baking section at the supermarket... as it states on the labelits a yeast product...
for some reason its not considered a spread for bread/toast, hot drink, flavour additive for stews etc..
As for the other crap posted... generally its for folk who can't cook or non existant taste buds
Born and bred on vegemite here .

I have had severe withdrawal symptoms the last few months after I ran out on board (what is a lassie supposed to have with her nightcap nip of Scotch?). 12 step programs just don't work for vegemite addiction LOL.

Amazon UK saved the day when I found they not only sell vegemite, but deliver it free to Greece. All my Christmases came at once when this arrived in Crete last week:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	56181  

Old 04-03-2013, 22:10   #390

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Born and bred on vegemite here .

I have had severe withdrawal symptoms the last few months after I ran out on board (what is a lassie supposed to have with her nightcap nip of Scotch?). 12 step programs just don't work for vegemite addiction LOL.

Amazon UK saved the day when I found they not only sell vegemite, but deliver it free to Greece. All my Christmases came at once when this arrived in Crete last week:

Yum Yum Lassie.

"Clean Up in the Vegemite section!"

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote