Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 01:03   #136

I haven't spent much time on the water, but most of a lifetime on the back of a horse and sometimes a snowmobile. They make a neat little cooker that mounts on the exhaust of a snowmobile that works great, even when we are sledding at -10 F. If you work at it and think a little eating with out refridation isn't too hard. I rode line in Nevada for six months and never once saw a fridge, hell I never even drove in that time.

Remember they call it fishing NOT catching, and hunting NOT shooting. Dont depend on your skill to keep you alive unless it has been severly tested.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 11:47   #137
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Just put in pasta, boiling water, let it sit."
You don't need a miracle machine to do that. In fact with rice pasta (which turns instantly to mush when overcooked or boiled) the normal way to cook it is to let the water in a pot come to a boil add the pasta, and take it off the heat as soon as it reboils. Let it sit for ~20 minutes and it is fully cooked.
That's the instructions on the side of many rice pastas, to be found in the "health foods" section of many supermarkets. Works just as well with wheat pasta, corn pasta, etc, etc.
And yes, great way to save energy. It just doesn't provide the "instant satisfaction" that modern Western cooks seem to require.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 12:20   #138
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Look at the Mormon Cookbook. Recommended by survival training groups. Lots of ways to make things with same ingredients.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 12:22   #139
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Huh, it's illegal to cook Mormons in this state. And pretty hard to convince 'em to climb in the oven in the first place.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 14:07   #140
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I didn't see sprouts or fresh herbs on the list. Sprouts are easy to generate, fresh, crunchy, and do well aboard. I had a small herb farm on board with a 3-3"x3" pots containing basil, parsley, and thyme. I'd pick off leaves when they were ready and the change in taste from dried to fresh might make an old shoe taste proper.

I'd add a pressure cooker to the must haves. It can reduce the cooking time of most any meal, make the toughest cut of meat tender, keep the contents contained in a blow, preserve items for later use, and prevent spoilage. I carried a full kit of kitchen tools but used the pressure cooker and small fry pan most of the time.
Old 23-06-2010, 15:11   #141

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Not sure what to call it yet... Maybe someone else already invented it and gave it a name already!!!
Sounds almost like a recipe for Plumb Duff. You may have rediscovered an old medieval favorite.
Old 23-06-2010, 16:34   #142

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Not sure what to call it yet...
You have to give it a proper English name, like spotted dick.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 20:38   #143

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Quote:
You have to give it a proper English name, like spotted dick.
Exactly! Plum Duff or spotted dick was a popular seafarers' desert back in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Old 23-06-2010, 21:20   #144
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
My Mom used to cook on our inboard....

She got the recipes from my Aunt and Uncle that cooked on the engine of their car as they towed a trailer....It was back in 1968

Beef Bonneville
Pork Pontiac
Chicken Gee-Emm

Back when they had guys at station who would check your oil.....They loved the look of the gas-jockeys as they popped the hood and smelled a pork roast cooking
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 03:00   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Exactly! Plum Duff or spotted dick was a popular seafarers' desert back in the 18th and 19th centuries.
There's that old, old, naval favourite - Figgy Dowdy.

Figgy Dowdy Recipe from Traditional English Puddings

as for old pre-fridge cookbook, there is always Mrs Beatons Good Housekeeping Guide pub. 1861 which, as well as recipes, gives advice on household cleaning with pre-modern cleaning products, how to tend basic injuries and even advice on childbrith.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon will flog you a copy for a couple of quid...

Mrs Beeton's Household Management Wordsworth Reference: Amazon.co.uk: Isabella Beeton: Books
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 09:50   #146

Always lots of old copies of Joy of Cooking on eBay. Checked just now - within the first 20 or so listings, had some from the newest, all the way back to 1943 edition.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 10:18   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Joy of Cooking is an excellent all round book; but I don't think it covers poutine.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 10:26   #148

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Fish lemon and RUM lots and lots of RUM
Old 25-06-2010, 10:51   #149

Quote:
Joy of Cooking is an excellent all round book; but I don't think it covers poutine
Probably not. I think poutine only goes back to the 1950s and was for a long time a local Quebec gastronomic phenomenon. I don't recall ever seeing it in the SW USA though, so it has not probably spread far enough to get into Joy of Cooking yet.

On a side note, Fannie Farmer's cook book of the 1890s has some good old-time recipes.
Old 25-06-2010, 11:10   #150

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I had to look up Poutine. For those who are as unfamiliar with this famous French Canadian dish, Poutine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It sounds quite a useful dish to feed a cold hungry crew but sadly, most of us don't have a deep fat fryer.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote