Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 21:42   #46

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Tea for Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I'm searching for the Ganesh tea cosy and found this:

Tea cosy

holy cats.
yes, tea is a serious subject y'know...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 21:46   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I'm searching for the Ganesh tea cosy and found this:
Tea cosy
holy cats.
Holy cats!!!! I want a dozen of those. I will have to scout around later and see what patterns I can find online. I have knitting needles on board . I am not usually into "cute" items, but some of these are works of art that make me smile . They are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
REAL Coffee rules aboard our boat ! French roast and Itialian Roast, heavy coffee that makes your eyes open wide ! With half and half,(ya can get it in small containers that need no refrig!!) Nothing like that first cup at sunrise in the cockpit ! makes the day a lot more brite and happy ! Tea just don't have the bang I need in the morning ! but then us dumb colonials just don't know what to do with tea except to throw it overboard LOL
Serious thread drift
And you risk being lynched.
You need to start a coffee thread .
(Coffee fanatic here too, I have lots of vices)

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 22:51   #48

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHHH, ya left out the part about how I make and drink my tea ! at times !!
Old 27-07-2013, 23:11   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AHHH, ya left out the part about how I make and drink my tea ! at times !!
Literary licence

Old 28-07-2013, 04:32   #50

SW Lass: I found, using the terms 'Ganesh tea cosy' and 'elephant tea cosy' more hits for knitting patterns than anything else. Problem is, I can't knit anything more than a misshapen rectangular object, and the knitted elephants would be way out of my league. There was also a beautiful elephant cosy that was Kashmiri wool embroidered, of course they want 45 pounds for it. -sniff- couldn't have on boat, natural fibre, never mind the price
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:45   #51

Ok! I just made a pot of green tea. Water temp 93c = 199f. Let steep for 3 minutes. Made a good cup of tea. Thanks for the info. BUT, I put the loose leaf tea in my tea pot and strain it when I put the tea in my cup. My tea basket is only big enough to hold three teaspoons of loose tea for one cup. So I place the loose leaf directly into the tea pot and strain it through a tea strainer for each cup. The problem is the tea left in the pot is still cooking and gets a bitter taste. What do you do with the second cup of tea. I can't find a larger tea basket in my area. I drink two cups a day of green tea and would like to make both cups at one time. I can strain the remainder of tea into another cup and that I just did. The second cup of tea was fine. But what do you Britt tea drinkers do if you want two cups?

Kingwoodie
s/v "The Lady Margaret Ann"
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:58   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tea for Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
Ok! I just made a pot of green tea. Water temp 93c = 199f. Let steep for 3 minutes. Made a good cup of tea. Thanks for the info. BUT, I put the loose leaf tea in my tea pot and strain it when I put the tea in my cup. My tea basket is only big enough to hold three teaspoons of loose tea for one cup. So I place the loose leaf directly into the tea pot and strain it through a tea strainer for each cup. The problem is the tea left in the pot is still cooking and gets a bitter taste. What do you do with the second cup of tea. I can't find a larger tea basket in my area. I drink two cups a day of green tea and would like to make both cups at one time. I can strain the remainder of tea into another cup and that I just did. The second cup of tea was fine. But what do you Britt tea drinkers do if you want two cups?

Kingwoodie
Boil 1 1/2 cups then add the tea... leave to stand for 3 mins then add the other 1/2 cup of cold water to the pot... stir and serve.. the temp drop from the cold/room temp water will stop the leaves from 'cooking'...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 09:40   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post

Kingwoodie
Aussie tea drinker here, not a Brit , but Aussies go through gallons of tea as well.

I always use a basket, as any kind of tea goes bitter when left too long (lowering the temp a lot after the set number of minutes of brewing as Boatman suggests does help, but then you have lukewarm tea). Tea stores sell numerous strainers cheaply in all sizes, so perhaps order one online. I use a large basket that rests on the top of my one litre pot, rather than the fiddly ball that screws together and you drop in.

Otherwise pour the second cup when you pour the first .

PS Do you really use 3 tsp of tea per cup??? Super strong tea is generally one teaspoon per cup.

Old 28-07-2013, 10:30   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OMG OMG OMG HOLY CATS, WHERE did you get that?! He even has the broken tusk! Ekadanta teacozy is the kewlest thing ever. Must have that for my boat AVIGHNA! Om Shri Ganesh namah!
Quote:
SW Lass: I found, using the terms 'Ganesh tea cosy' and 'elephant tea cosy' more hits for knitting patterns than anything else. Problem is, I can't knit anything more than a misshapen rectangular object, and the knitted elephants would be way out of my league.
If I find a pattern for a Ganesh tea cosy and if my first attempt at knitting a tea cosy works (I have no idea how hard something like this is), I will make one for you .

Old 28-07-2013, 12:14   #55

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
If I find a pattern for a Ganesh tea cosy and if my first attempt at knitting a tea cosy works (I have no idea how hard something like this is), I will make one for you .
See how civilized tea drinkers are? The anchor thread could learn a thing or two from us
Old 28-07-2013, 13:58   #56

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and yet, there are folks who drink their tea on ice and others who drink hot tea with a freshly squeezed lemon juice in it...

Mauritz
Cold Spring Water with Lime!
Old 28-07-2013, 14:23   #57

Boat: Ohlson 38

I drink more than 5 cups of Green Tea every day for health benefits. Be careful, some brands contain toxic levels of heavy metals, pesticides, etc. particularly some brands from China. Lipton buys their tea from all over the world and has consistently had very low levels of lead, etc.

Health benefits of Pholyphenols:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/...ey=Polyphenols

Polyphenol content of Tea by brand:
http://www.ibdl.ca/Application%20Not...20Products.pdf

Everything you'd ever want to know about tea:
http://subject.cwgc.edu.hk/chem/Lear...polyphenol.pdf

A little about Lipton:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipton
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:04   #58

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
See how civilized tea drinkers are? The anchor thread could learn a thing or two from us
Could you knit one for my 20lb Delta I can't seem to sell?

Might help.
Old 28-07-2013, 15:25   #59

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Rhum and tea makes a "Tea Riffic", the quality of the Rhum is more important. IMHO!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:27   #60

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
i think it was made using a basic elephant pattern - dont know where she found that - and lots of creativity to bring the ganesh out - took about 6 months, was really an art project. I'll ask next time i see the knittist where she got her pattern...might be a while though, I'll be at sea for another couple of months
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote