Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 06:49   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Tea for Two

Liptons, well not really. At work or out sailing I prefer Yorkshire Tea, though Viv likes Earl Grey for breakfast. Loose china teas makes a nice change or even iced tea if its hot outside.

How to make Tea | Cup of Tea | Teapot | Yorkshire Tea

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:17   #17

I have heard PG Tips recommended, usually in the context of "Well, if you must use teabags,..."
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:18   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Life is too complicated to be fussy about drinks! I do NOT drink coffee, chocolate, tea, milk, any liquor or coke/soda pop. My one and only drink, is ice cold SPRING WATER with a squeeze of lime juice in it...down the hatch...now that's a drink fitting His Majesty!

Mauritz
To each his/her own!
Old 27-07-2013, 07:19   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
.... So, how do you make a proper cup of tea? ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
"For tea to reach its full flavor it should be steeped at just the right temperature.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Life is too complicated to be fussy about drinks! ............
A couple of points.

Black tea should be steeped at 100 C, while green and white tea is much much better steeped at around 93 C; any hotter and it becomes bitter.

It is important not to let the water boil for black tea (or any tea for that matter). The boiling drives off the dissolved oxygen in the water and it is this oxygen that allows the anti-oxidants in the tea to be released.

Catch the kettle as soon as it begins to boil and it is best to use aerated water if available. This is the reason real tea brewers say to always use fresh water rather than reboil the kettle with old water in it.

I have no advice for rooibos.

Life is too short not to be fussy about drinks (tea, whisky, beer etc)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 08:37   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A couple of points.

Black tea should be steeped at 100 C, while green and white tea is much much better steeped at around 93 C; any hotter and it becomes bitter.

It is important not to let the water boil for black tea (or any tea for that matter). The boiling drives off the dissolved oxygen in the water and it is this oxygen that allows the anti-oxidants in the tea to be released.

Catch the kettle as soon as it begins to boil and it is best to use aerated water if available. This is the reason real tea brewers say to always use fresh water rather than reboil the kettle with old water in it.

I have no advice for rooibos.

Life is too short not to be fussy about drinks (tea, whisky, beer etc)
It seems we have more than a liking of whiskey in common .

Agree with all you have said except the temp for green tea - 60 to 85 degrees is generally best. I always use fresh water rather than reboiling it, but I had never heard about not letting it boil vigorously (thanks for the tip).

The time steeped is critical too. 2-3 minutes is best for most green tea, any more and the tea becomes bitter. For this reason I don't drop it straight in the pot, but in a SS mesh basket, and I set an alarm.

I drink all my tea black, regardless of type, so it does actually make a big difference how it is brewed. I plan to stock up on my favourite Peach Momo Oolong at the end of the year when briefly back in Melb

-------------------
Crabby, that powdery stuff they put in tea bags is a poor imitation of the real thing - treat yourself to some decent leaves if you are planning to try the tea experience .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 08:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tea for Two

If I drink tea... I boil it...
Handful of Green tea in a pot.. 2/3rds milk 1/3rd water... sugar to taste (always add some after) and crushed cardamom seeds... bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes....
Yummy with anything

Deletes onion and garlic breath...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 09:39   #22

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Crabby, that powdery stuff they put in tea bags is a poor imitation of the real thing - treat yourself to some decent leaves if you are planning to try the tea experience .
Thanks SL. I am going to. Making a lot of changes these days.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 09:51   #23

Much of my family drinks all kinds of fancy tea. I've tried most all of them, Personally I love Lipton "Orange Pekoe". I know... sacriledge to you tea snobs... but .hey. that's what I like!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 10:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Photo shows powdery contents of a reasonable quality tea bag on the left, compared to loose leaf tea on the right.

If the contents of tea bags haven't been swept off the floor of tea processing facilities, they sure look like they do LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	64701  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 11:35   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Out at sea, we will boil a 'kettle' (=alloy, teflon covered, pot with a cap) of water, then chuck about three teaspoonfuls of leaf tea, cover, wait, drink.

In port, we use an electric kettle to boil water up first. Economy. But the taste does not seem to suffer.

I cover the pot with a four-folded cloth. Romantic, and seems to load an extra punch to the strength of our brew.

I absolutely LOVE tea. Give me a ship, a tea and a quiet anchorage, and I am in heaven on earth!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 13:11   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We drink loose leaf tea at home and on board. I am rather surprised that no one has mentioned placing the loose tea in a french coffee press, add water and let steep for roughly 4 min (plus or minus depending on the tea and personal preference). When the time is up, slowly press down on the plunger and pour oneself a cupa. To save money we commonly shop for loose leaf tea on Amazon. Our usual tea is Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea. Occasionally we will experiment with other brands/mixes.

Although a bit pricey we use the insulated stainless steel french press pot on board. It's indestructible and keeps the tea or coffee warm enough for each of us to have a second cup.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 14:08   #27

Anybody tried the IngenuiTEA? Kind of an upside-down French press.

IngenuiTEA Teapot from Adagio Teas

Plus, it's a gadget!
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 14:40   #28
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For years I'd get visitors to bring boxes of Yorkshire teabags with them when they came to visit Kuwait whilst we could get it there (but only in the last few years), it's really expensive. That was a nice treat. Kids would even gift wrap them for Xmas, cheeky blighters.

Anyway, when we didn't have Yorkshore in stock, we'd use Lipton's teabags. But about a year ago we switched to Lipton's loose tea - and whilst a big box of loose tea costs the same as the equivalent size box of teabags, it lasts a hell of a lot longer.

Haven't used a china teapot though since 1988 - we use a 1l ceramic pot now. And we put the milk straight into the pot with the tea - it's easier... rather than putting the milk into the cup before pouring the tea from the pot (which is absolute law in the UK) and it makes absolutely no fuddling difference.

And we drink out of 1/2l Starbucks mugs - they're awesome, keep the tea warm forever, and you don't lose the contents when they get knocked down. Kinda nice to drink out of china cups when I do visit home - but always forget to knock it back before it gets cold!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	teapot.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	64712  
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:07   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The Irish are the greatest per capita tea drinkers in the world followed by the UK

I use good quality loose English breakfast tea. Scald the tea pot first. Then add leaves then water , let sit for 2 minutes ? I don't like it too strong ) . In the UK the milk goes in first , in Ireland its usually added after. Me, I drink it black.

Dave
Old 27-07-2013, 15:18   #30

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

ganesh manages the tea on my boat...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	teapot.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	64714  
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote