Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Tapas Anyone?

Seaworthy Lass seems to be having quite a bit of success with the threads "Vegans make good lovers" and "Let us eat cake".

RE: good lovers - The couple vegans I've known have not been better than the meat eaters I shared sheets and mattresses with, so I can't confirm or deny the statement.

Anyway - Tapas or Antipasta (for the italian crowd) are wonderful, generally easy to make and if you serve a number of them become a meal in themselves:

I'll start with

Blinis with smoked salmon.

Blinis
Butter (yes, I KNOW Seaworthy)
Sour cream (Creme Fraiche for the european crowd)
Asapargus
Dill
Lemon or lime
Thin slices of smoked salmon

Turn the Blinis in a frying pan with some butter to freshen them up (unless you make them from scratch - them skip this).

Put a dollop of sour cream on the blinis
A thin slice of smoked salmon on top of the cream
Top this with an asparagus top that has been very slightly cooked (or fried )al dente (truly al dente - it should still be crispy)
Decorate with a bit of dill and a tiny wedge of lemon or lime

OK - you've got a masterpiece!

If you're poverty-stricken and don't have smoked salmon - you can substitute lobster or crab (jes' sayin')

If you like salmon - here's another

A couple raw salmon steaks
finely chopped spring onions
olive oil
grated fresh parmesan or peccorino cheese

Cut the salmon into small bite-sized chunks. mix the finely chopped onions and salmon in a little bit of olive oil. Spread the cheese over
Decorate with a Basil leaf crown

(Hey - Seaworthy - look - no butter!)

Eggplant with Ricotta

Thinly sliced grilled eggplant
Ricotta cheese
Mix for the cheese: your choice, crushed basil, garlic, sun-dried tomato or anything else you can think of.

Put the eggplant slices on a bed of paper towels, salt heavily with kitchen salt. Leave them for a 1/2 hour or so. Brush off the salt, fry on a lightly oiled grill pan until you get a nice grill pattern on the vegetable.

Put a dollop of whatever ricotta mix you have made on the eggplant at one end and roll it up.

If you like you can substitute a dry italian or spanish ham for the eggplant.

I've got lots more - but it is someones else's turn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"
Re: Tapas Anyone?

I'm amazed Boatman hasn't replied. Are you ok Phil?
A few months ago I'd never heard of tapas. I'm gunna have a crack at one of those recipes.
Thanks.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
I'm amazed Boatman hasn't replied. Are you ok Phil?
A few months ago I'd never heard of tapas. I'm gunna have a crack at one of those recipes.
Thanks.
I have written a cookbook (e-book) that I happily send to anyone who wants one. PM me with your e-mail and I will send one - lots of good and easy recipe there

Try this one

salmon steak
sourcream /creme fraiche
lots of dill

Salt and pepper the salmon steak and put in in the oven or on a grill. (oven takes about 20 minutes)

meanwhile chop the dill very fine and add it to the sour cream plus some salt and pepper to taste.

Serve the warm salmon and the cold sauce - this is unbelievably sumptuous, the cold sauce and warm fish is great.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 01-02-2014, 12:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Wonderbag - Home

Can I include meze?

My current favourite is pantzaria (beetroot)

Trim and wash small beetroot.
Put in pan (or pressure cooker) with a few chopped garlic cloves and water.
Bring to boil/pressure and cook until done.
Remove skins whilst still warm.
Cut into large chunks and dress with olive oil and vinegar.

Timings and amounts are purposely vague as I tend to throw it all in my pressure cooker with the minimum of water, bring to pressure, turn off and leave all day in my wonderful wonderbag.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Tapas or Antipasta (for the italian crowd) are wonderful, generally easy to make and if you serve a number of them become a meal in themselves:

I'll start with

Blinis with smoked salmon......

If you like salmon - here's another.....
OK, you have found my Achilles' heel (second to chocolate).
Salmon has me going weak at the knees and grazing is my favourite way of eating (lunches with company on board can stretch for hours).

I have been indulging in salmon almost every night while back in Melbourne, knowing that it will be out of reach again when I return to the Med (what else do you think has made all those vegan salads palatable? ).

Leftover salmon is fantastic for tapas. Try it on sourdough grilled with Gruyere and a dollop of fresh pesto. Yum!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 13:19   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
OK, you have found my Achilles' heel (second to chocolate).
Salmon has me going weak at the knees and grazing is my favourite way of eating (lunches with company on board can stretch for hours).

I have been indulging in salmon almost every night while back in Melbourne, knowing that it will be out of reach again when I return to the Med (what else do you think has made all those vegan salads palatable? ).

Leftover salmon is fantastic for tapas. Try it on sourdough grilled with Gruyere and a dollop of fresh pesto. Yum!
Lassie, the blinis with salmon takes first prize every time I serve it. try it. And you can get fresh salmon in the med

Or sail up here to the Baltic - lots of salmon

Old 01-02-2014, 14:52   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As I came from a fishing family in PNW, salmon was a staple on our table! when we accidentaly caught a undesized salmon that was dead when it came up, we quickly cut it in chunks, and put it a crock full of pickleing liquid! when we got home after a 14 day trip, we then smoked about half of the chunks and ate the other as snacks!! even the youngest kids loved pickled salmon !! It sure don't take a large container to hold a small salmon or 2!! Just a thought, if ya catch a salmon now and then ya might try it this way !! It's GOOD
Old 02-02-2014, 22:46   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I find it difficult to believe I'm the only one on this forum that likes, and makes tapas/antipasta - what wonderful food you all are missing.

In an effort to get the thread going - here are a couple more recipes

crab/lobster with cucumber

1 cucumber
lobster, langustine or crab meat chunks
olive oil
lime
fresh dill
pepper

peel the cucumber and cut it into 1/2 inch slices. cut the slices into "logs" 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. turn the cucumber in a little olive oil.

Squeeze the 1/2 lime over the cucumber, arrange the shellfish meat artistically over the cucumber.
Decorate with small lime wedges and the fresh dill

some very finely chopped chili puts a zing into this

Leeks vinaigrette

leeks
Bacon
Parmesan
Olive oil
Terragon vinegar
very finely chopped chili

Clean some leeks, cut them into 6 inch lengths, and boil them until tender (10 minutes) Lay on paper towels and let drain and cool

When cold, using a VERY sharp knife, cut them in half length ´wise and lay them in a marinade of 3:1 olive oil/Terragon vinegar.

Meanwhile fry the bacon and cut it into small pieces, and grate the fresh parmesan.

Let the leeks "drip" off a bit before moving them to a plate, grind some pepper over them, top with the bacon and parmesan

NB: provolone or peccorino cheese can be substituted

anyone else?

Old 03-02-2014, 14:46   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
anyone else?
My mouth is watering so much I have had an attack of the munchies . I have some fresh baby leeks on hand and will try your last recipe.

Meanwhile, I take it you are using the term 'tapas' to describe any substantial nibbles rather than specifically Spanish ones?

If so, let me add one of my favourite easy dishes. The aroma of this baking is heavenly and the flavours just beautiful.

BAKED FETA

Feta (the creamiest best Greek stuff you can find)
Cherry tomatoes
Thyme (fresh or dried)
Extra virgin olive oil

- Halve tomatoes and place upside down on paper towel to drain while preparing the rest
- Cut the feta into rough chunks and place in a single layer in a baking dish
- Toss on the tomatoes, sprinkle liberally with thyme and drizzle with olive oil
- Bake about half an hour until feta is soft
- Serve immediately (the cheese dries out if let to stand)

I will add a photo when I make it next.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:59   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My mouth is watering so much I have had an attack of the munchies . I have some fresh baby leeks on hand and will try your last recipe.

Meanwhile, I take it you are using the term 'tapas' to describe any substantial nibbles rather than specifically Spanish ones?

If so, let me add one of my favourite easy dishes. The aroma of this baking is heavenly and the flavours just beautiful.

BAKED FETA

Feta (the creamiest best Greek stuff you can find)
Cherry tomatoes
Thyme (fresh or dried)
Extra virgin olive oil

- Halve tomatoes and place upside down on paper towel to drain while preparing the rest
- Cut the feta into rough chunks and place in a single layer in a baking dish
- Toss on the tomatoes, sprinkle liberally with thyme and drizzle with olive oil
- Bake about half an hour until feta is soft
- Serve immediately (the cheese dries out if let to stand)

I will add a photo when I make it next.
Yes Lassie, I use the term Tapas/antipasta loosely, mainly to describe those wonderful treats you get in spanish bars or good italian restaurants,

Here's a quickie:

Goat cheese munch

Bacon
Goat cheese log
Fresh Basil leaves

Fry the bacon until almost done
Cut the goats cheese into slices and wrap them with the bacon
Put them back on the pan and heat until the cheese starts to melt (can also be put in the oven)
Serve with Fresh basil leave for decoration (and taste)

And because I'm now having severe withdrawal symptoms from writing recipes without butter or cream, I will give you the following

Crabmeat pancakes

Crabmeat (or lobster or shrimp)
1 cup mayonnaise
A good splash of cognac
Fresh spinach
Broccoli florets
1/4 liter head cream
salt
pepper
Chopped parsely (decoration)
Small crepe pancakes ( you can usually buy these - or else they are easy to make, recipes everywhere)

Mix the shellfish, mayonnaise, cognac, salt and pepper (ok you can taste it also)

Steam the spinach and broccoli, let most of the water drip off. Run the broccoli and spinach lightly through a blender (don't puree it) and add the cream, salt and pepper.

Boil it up in a saucepan and let it simmer until it becomes a thick creamy sauce (not too thin), Remove from heat and let cool.

Now heat your pancakes, put a spoonful of the shellfish mixture in the center and fold the pancake so it becomes a little "package"

Put some sauce on a plate, the "package" in the middle of the sauce and decorate with the parsley and any leftover shellfish meat.

This recipe does involve some work - on the other hand, if you are cruising and at anchor - what else do you have to spend time doing?

Two "packages = light lunch

Old 15-03-2014, 20:42   #11

Love tapas. I'm a grazer by nature. Here is a great recipe most on boats can get the ingredients. This isn't my recipe-it is from Ciao Italia! It is the basic and you can change to fit your tastes.

Arancini di Siciliani (Sicilian Rice Balls)

One cup Arborio rice
Three large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or other sharp cheese)
1/4 cup diced mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup diced prosciutto or ham (about two ounces) {optional & I prefer without)
Three tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley {looks nice but also optional}
Two cups fresh bread crumbs, toasted
1/4 cup homemade tomato sauce
Oil for deep-frying (Peanut is good)

DIRECTIONS

In a saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add the rice and cook for 15 minutes. The rice should still be quite firm. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
Lightly beat one of the eggs and add to the rice, along with the grated cheese, parsley, 2 tablespoons of the tomato sauce, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. in another bowl, mix the mozzarella cheese, prosciutto or ham, and the remaining 2 tablespoons tomato sauce.

With floured hands, divide the rice mixture into 8 or 10 portions and roll each portion into a ball the size of a small orange. Poke a hole into the center of each ball with your finger and insert about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mozzarella mixture. Reshape and smooth the balls to enclose the filling.

In a shallow dish, beat the remaining 2 eggs. Spread the bread crumbs on a plate. Dip the balls into the eggs, turning to coat them well. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs to coat them evenly. Then let them dry on a plate for about 45 minutes.

In a deep fryer or deep heavy pan, heat the peanut oil to 375F. Fry the balls until they are golden brown on all sides. Drain them on brown paper and serve immediately, with lemon wedges or the fresh tomato sauce.

Mangia! Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote