Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 03:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Suggested Cruising Menus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
One of my favourite tapas is cubes of cheese in Olive oil and Jamon and fresh bread.

The cheese in oil will keep a long time. Jamon will last too if hung in a gentle breeze on the boat.

So Boaties and JPA Cates suggestions are great for longish voyages...

I make use of a vacuum sealer for Pita bread, for Tortillas and anything else that will last without oxygen... Vacuum for single or double portions and it works well.
I like the vac pack baguettes one can buy these days in supermarkets.. 75cents for a 2 pack and I have fresh baguette for breakfast every day in the time it takes to ready my coffee.. and easy to store.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:36   #32

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Suggested Cruising Menus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
Eggs - turn every 4-5 days or coat in vegetable oil; they will last months unrefrigerated.
And if you can get unwashed eggs (which is what you will find in many parts of the Bahamas) you don't even need to coat them, just flip them periodically. Unwashed eggs have a natural protective coating that keeps bacteria out. Washing by the packing house is what removes this coating and so requires you to coat them yourself.

You can make a lot of stuff with eggs. Take lots!
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:19   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@weavis,

For the cheese in oil, for a special treat, put fresh herb of flavor you like (right now we're using fresh thyme and pepper corns) into the oil with the cheese. Use on any form of bread: tortillas, wraps, bread of choice. It's really nice under smoked salmon, and with a sprig of dill, or caper, for an hors d'oeuvre.

Ann
Old 05-01-2018, 15:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Germans love pickled cabbage with everything so stock up on that.. or make your own.
Fermented foods and apple cider vinegar are some of the most important health products because they powerfully detoxify the body and they boost the immune system. However, the ones containing the important probiotics in them require being kept cool. Nevertheless, if ever-burning lamps can be made, there must be some way to make something akin to an ever-frozen "ice" pack for a cooler or something.
Melissa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 17:09   #35

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions, though they are a bit off topic for me.
You might try the Facebook group Cooking on a Boat!

Also keep your eyes peeled for editions of Joy of Cooking and Good Housekeeping Cookbook from the 40s and 50s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry View Post
Quick note on the eggs. Here in the states most stores have refrigerated them. Those eggs need to continue to be refridgerated. Get them fresh from a farm and they will keep for a long time unrefridgerated.
There are two issues. First is that washing eggs removes the 'bloom' from the egg which helps protect from gas exchange. This is mostly a US problem. Flipping the eggs addresses that issue.

The refrigeration issue is that bringing home cold eggs leads to condensation. The condensation leads to mold. Just dry the eggs gently with a towel every couple of hours until their temperature has stabilized. Two maybe three times does the trick.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 00:06   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You might try the Facebook group Cooking on a Boat!

Also keep your eyes peeled for editions of Joy of Cooking and Good Housekeeping Cookbook from the 40s and 50s.

There are two issues. First is that washing eggs removes the 'bloom' from the egg which helps protect from gas exchange. This is mostly a US problem. Flipping the eggs addresses that issue.

The refrigeration issue is that bringing home cold eggs leads to condensation. The condensation leads to mold. Just dry the eggs gently with a towel every couple of hours until their temperature has stabilized. Two maybe three times does the trick.

And to add to the above, try and keep cardboard egg boxes for storage on board - eggs kept in plastic boxes will retain any moisture inside the box and your eggs will go mouldy quicker and thus go bad quicker, irrelevant the frequency of flipping them.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:29   #37

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
One of my favourite tapas is cubes of cheese in Olive oil and Jamon and fresh bread.

The cheese in oil will keep a long time. Jamon will last too if hung in a gentle breeze on the boat.

So Boaties and JPA Cates suggestions are great for longish voyages...

I make use of a vacuum sealer for Pita bread, for Tortillas and anything else that will last without oxygen... Vacuum for single or double portions and it works well.
Weavis, your meal mentions always make me salivate. You are speaking the language of my family's cuisine.

I am forced to conclude I must have a ventilated charcuterie locker. Goodbye survival suits, I'd rather die in the cold northern waters than fail to have a nice salted butt hanging.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:19   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Weavis, your meal mentions always make me salivate. You are speaking the language of my family's cuisine.

I am forced to conclude I must have a ventilated charcuterie locker. Goodbye survival suits, I'd rather die in the cold northern waters than fail to have a nice salted butt hanging.
Given that I am also following your comments on the single men thread, I laughed out loud at the mention of a salted butt hanging... my sense of humour

JPA Cate mentioned here about adding herbs to the oil. It was remiss of me to not mention that and I thank her for adding the comment.

Im born of an Irish/English father and a South African mother. My food tastes are wide and eclectic and having spent more time out of the UK than in it, (currently in Spain) I have a love of all foods Asian, Middle Eastern and also the Mediterranean diet. Good food is good food.

Here in Seville, an evening dinner at my house for friends will be VERY mixed. Spanish, Lebanese, Indian, all in one go, OR just Spanish, salads, meats, eggs, salpichon, tortilla, Rice, etc

On the boat, the Jamon cheese, and other foods is easy to store....I hang the Jamon in the storage locker with vented doors and it keeps well.

Food when pickled lasts a long time...

I used to have a supplier for powdered eggs but that avenue closed...

Life eh?

I grow my own veg in hydroponics and just take the container and battery pump with me for short trips...Its 12 volts so have a connector.. keeps growing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tersa1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	161905  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:38   #39

Quote:
Given that I am also following your comments on the single men thread, I laughed out loud at the mention of a salted butt hanging... my sense of humour[emoji3]
Hah! I wish this were the most popular thread on cruisers forum, or something like, instead of that. It's not like I wake up in the morning and think, today I am going to stake out a moral position I already know is going to bring out the aggrieved defenders in droves, for sh%ts n giggles.

Anyways, I get the sense our food preferences are very similar. I served assorted focaccia topped with salad greens, marinated onions, and balsamic chicken seasoned with preserved lemon at a boat dinner with friends two days ago. Preserved lemon coconut chess pie with honey lemon whipped cream for dessert.

I wish I had ready access to jamon. If you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of the locker--I'd cheerfully clear out mine and use it to cure some prosciutto.

There is a corned beef curing right now, though.

turtletraveling.com
Old 11-01-2018, 04:05   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Hah!

Anyways, I get the sense our food preferences are very similar. I served assorted focaccia topped with salad greens, marinated onions, and balsamic chicken seasoned with preserved lemon at a boat dinner with friends two days ago. Preserved lemon coconut chess pie with honey lemon whipped cream for dessert.

I wish I had ready access to jamon. If you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of the locker--I'd cheerfully clear out mine and use it to cure some prosciutto.

There is a corned beef curing right now, though.
Seaworthy Lass who started this thread is a really able cook. She has a similar and eclectic food taste as well. (Apart from a real flaw in prefering Vegemite over Marmite )

I dont cure on the boat. Jamon can be bought after curing for 2 years already, from €23 for a 7 kilo Paleta. I keep in a locker with an air flow just to keep it out of harms way. Make sure any vents have a flyscreen!! Hard learned lesson.

I bake my own bread. Sometimes just buy pre made baguettes and throw in the oven and sometimes make from scratch. I dont do long trips... a day or three and home again.

Im one of those who when the time comes will be happy living aboard in a secluded part of a Marina... Still boating right? Day trips here and there and if get the mood, exit the river, at Cadiz, turn right, go passed Gibraltar and head for Mallorca.. A nice thousand miles or so...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paleta Seranna.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	161980  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:42   #41

Quote:
Seaworthy Lass who started this thread is a really able cook. She has a similar and eclectic food taste as well. (Apart from a real flaw in prefering Vegemite over Marmite )

I dont cure on the boat. Jamon can be bought after curing for 2 years already, from €23 for a 7 kilo Paleta. I keep in a locker with an air flow just to keep it out of harms way. Make sure any vents have a flyscreen!! Hard learned lesson.

I bake my own bread. Sometimes just buy pre made baguettes and throw in the oven and sometimes make from scratch. I dont do long trips... a day or three and home again.

Im one of those who when the time comes will be happy living aboard in a secluded part of a Marina... Still boating right? Day trips here and there and if get the mood, exit the river, at Cadiz, turn right, go passed Gibraltar and head for Mallorca.. A nice thousand miles or so...
Huge fan of Seaworthy Lass's very long, extremely well-organized thread on meatless recipes.

Damn your soul for the dirt cheap jamon. Some day. Our bread is home-made too. Although, honestly, I could live on cured pork, fruit, and olives, and never eat bread again.

Thanks for reminding me about the fly screen.

turtletraveling.com

Tags
cruising, men